Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach

Post by scrum5 »

The Tragedy is that we're more likely to end up with Barry..... :duck:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I don't think loyalty should be terribly high up the list to tell the truth, we just need someone with a proven track record of success as a coach, whether they're here for the coin or for loyalty it shouldn't matter a jot. The loyal lads we can develop in the lower levels of the coaching structure, or just head elsewhere and come back when they're close to the finished article.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

scrum5 wrote:The Tragedy is that we're more likely to end up with Barry..... :duck:
We are only just staying alive in the race for sixth place.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:The thread starts off with an exciting potential coach rumour and turns to discussing what a banker BOD is. Plz why?
Blame Cockers, he started it...... :lol: :lol:
No I didn't ..

Anyhow my reference to Stringer and BOD as coaches is aimed at snipes view that Ruan will make the perfect backs coach.
Did I say perfect? I don't recall saying perfect. I'd have Gregor Townsend as my perfect backs coach.
I happen to think it takes more than being a good/great player otherwise they would all be doing it..
I agree. Only a total idiot would think that all great players make great coaches or even decent coaches. I was talking about a specific player in a specific situation. The rest was all your assumption.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Only a total idiot would think that all great players make great coaches ........... The rest was all your assumption.
I can understand why he assumed what he did. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:I'd have Gregor Townsend as my perfect backs coach.
Do perfect backs even need a coach?

Moot point anyway as we don't have any perfect backs.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

So, who is top dog then next year? Gibbes or Kiss? Who faces the music when the sh!t hits the fan as it probably will. If Gibbes is coming on the pretence that he is head coach/to get his release clause activated and is this a demotion of sorts for Kiss (would be strange) even if they are separate roles.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

therealspratt wrote:I don't think loyalty should be terribly high up the list to tell the truth, we just need someone with a proven track record of success as a coach, whether they're here for the coin or for loyalty it shouldn't matter a jot. The loyal lads we can develop in the lower levels of the coaching structure, or just head elsewhere and come back when they're close to the finished article.
I should hope that whoever comes in will sit nowhere near the two poles described. One who will no doubt negotiate hard around the contracts table, and once signed will pursue personal growth and development via team success, rather than being either loyal or taking the coin, loyalty will come through recognition of his achievements and contributions.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Neil F wrote:That he's a forwards coach implies that Clarke is out. That he's coming as head coach implies Doak is out. Good enough for me! :cheers:
After 10 years of both in one capacity or another, I think that says what a lot are thinking. To hell with it if he's not perfect, he's not Doak or Clarke.

Of course he has a track record suggesting he's much better than that.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

HammerTime wrote:So, who is top dog then next year? Gibbes or Kiss? Who faces the music when the sh!t hits the fan as it probably will. If Gibbes is coming on the pretence that he is head coach/to get his release clause activated and is this a demotion of sorts for Kiss (would be strange) even if they are separate roles.
Kiss is DoR and Gibbes is Head Coach just as Doak is Head Coach this year..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Anyone think that Stringer would make a good backs coach or that BOD is wasted and would have made a great coach..
Irrespective, what would make anyone think BOD would be interested in coming to Ulster (if that was your intended suggestion)?

Notable that straight after the Ireland match yesterday the only criticism he could find of the Irish performance was to have a go at Paddy Jackson for kicking too much possession away - a criticism immediately dismissed by Joe (either intentionally or indirectly) when his first comment was on how well Paddy had controlled the game.

Come to think of it, Drico might want to come here just to sabotage us Nordies even further. :roll:
Funny enough, just about managing to shed my FIRFU hatred briefly, I agree with BOD to the extent that not just Paddy but him, Bob, Henshaw and possibly others put in kicks in and around the oppo 22 that utterly make me want to punch some fukka. That apart he's a nasty crooked gubbed wee shyte of a jackeen ballix.

Whilst we're at it, that Gilroy bloke looked a bit dangerous, wonder would he be interested in playing for Ulster :scratch:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:
HammerTime wrote:So, who is top dog then next year? Gibbes or Kiss? Who faces the music when the sh!t hits the fan as it probably will. If Gibbes is coming on the pretence that he is head coach/to get his release clause activated and is this a demotion of sorts for Kiss (would be strange) even if they are separate roles.
Kiss is DoR and Gibbes is Head Coach just as Doak is Head Coach this year..
Cockers, did you read your earlier post? Seemed to suggest to me that the above is not the case :scratch: Maybe I just missed some nuanced phraseology? If so ...........silly me. >EW
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Kiss is DoR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:The thread starts off with an exciting potential coach rumour and turns to discussing what a banker BOD is. Plz why?
Blame Cockers, he started it...... :lol: :lol:
No I didn't ..

Anyhow my reference to Stringer and BOD as coaches is aimed at snipes view that Ruan will make the perfect backs coach.
Did I say perfect? I don't recall saying perfect. I'd have Gregor Townsend as my perfect backs coach.
I happen to think it takes more than being a good/great player otherwise they would all be doing it..
I agree. Only a total idiot would think that all great players make great coaches or even decent coaches. I was talking about a specific player in a specific situation. The rest was all your assumption.
Let's agree on Townend who I think to be a top coach.. Who knows maybe Ruan will become a top winemaker.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Baggy.. I rarely read before I write and sometimes the safest way to get by on here.. Except of course for your wine fuelled rants one of which I hear got to the ear of the CiC. >EW