Is this why.........

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Is this why.........

Post by mid ulster maestro »

We're shyte?

Interesting article from a rowing blog I came across.

When a coach tells their athletes to “get out there and win,” they’ve set the stage for them to underperform—guaranteed. They may still win, but chances are they won’t have reached their potential as individuals or as a collective team.

How? Well, if you’ve ever watched an elite hockey team go into the third period with a comfortable lead, only to give up that lead and eventually lose the game, and wonder, “How the hell did that happen?” Most would agree—they probably let up. Or, as it’s commonly referred to by coaches during press scrums; “They took their foot off the gas.”

But, why? The players hadn’t achieved their goal yet—there was still another 20 minutes before winning was a done-deal. Clearly the players understood that taking their foot off the gas would compromise their chances of achieving their goal and winning the game—true?

True, indeed. But, in this scenario and every one like it, I would argue that the goal to win is the culprit. Understand, whether we like to admit it or not, when we get close to achieving a prescribed goal—we let up. On some level, consciously or unconsciously, we make a decision that involves us telling our bodies, “The goal is close at hand; therefore, you can rest. You don’t have to try as hard anymore.”

For that losing team, the athletes may have felt that the level of play that they had produced in the first 40 minutes of the hockey game had resulted in a lead that brought them close to achieving their goal. Therefore, having almost achieved their goal of winning, on some level they lost their purpose and consequently their drive.

Yup, even professional athletes who get paid to try their hardest all of the time have moments where they back-off and stop trying. Like you and me, they’re human. Which means, sometimes, they have self-defeating conversations that run through their minds and result in them underperforming.

Here’s where many coaches struggle. Buying into the notion that winning is a limiting goal flies in the face of what we’ve all been raised to believe—keep your eye on the prize. But, what if that prize keeps you from ever realizing your potential? And, therefore, naturally begs the question—what if you’re capable of being better than what winning requires? With winning as your goal you have to be good enough—just—to beat your competition. What if good enough is only a fraction of what you could do without imposed limitations?

Discuss.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Is this why.........

Post by againstthehead »

I've no doubt mental strength is of massive importance in rugby. Just look at the French when they play away or the all blacks a few years back. Leadership and mental strength or focus is a huge huge part of it. Just look at what Munster are doing. World class coaches and support staff don't grow on trees. Probably easier to buy players....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Horgan spoke about Championship minutes when commentating on a recent Ulster game

He said this is one of Joes key messages

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Surely, this would rely on Ulster actually getting into a position close enough to winning to be able to take the foot off the gas? What explains Ulster's continual taking the foot off the gas when they're already behind?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I can see the application of the theory in something like a rowing race, but a rugby match is broken down into targeted sections. 10 minute periods, 5 minute periods, phases of play etc.

Its also not win/lose, it is TBP, LBP, deny the opposition the LBP so there are other match targets.

The comparison I can draw, is that a team needs effective leadership to ensure the targets are understood and bought into for each period/half/phase of play etc. That is one of Ulster's problems IMO.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Neil F wrote:Surely, this would rely on Ulster actually getting into a position close enough to winning to be able to take the foot off the gas? What explains Ulster's continual taking the foot off the gas when they're already behind?
We can relate this not to taking the foot off the gas but to the choice of messages from coaches

There must be a reason why Ulster forget about minutes 41-59

Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Russ wrote:Horgan spoke about Championship minutes when commentating on a recent Ulster game

Yup heard that too, Shaggy does quite well as a pundit.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Blow in wrote:
Russ wrote:Horgan spoke about Championship minutes when commentating on a recent Ulster game

When he isn't fellating the Leinster players, sure.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

thecrouch wrote:
Blow in wrote:

When he isn't fellating the Leinster players, sure.
Thats just a bonus :shock:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

In summary, I offer you Baggy's 10 Laws of Gas:

1st: put your foot on the gas
2nd: do not take your foot of the gas
3rd: don't run out of gas
4th: you'd better of with wood pellets and an RHI burner
5th: what most coaches say is 90% hot air, the ones with 10% of value are non-Clarkes, the ones with 1% of value are Doaks
6th: pick your gas correctly, nobody will buy into your gas if it's reeking methane.
7th: like Kennedy's Bread, every coach has a shelf-life, thereafter you've heard it all before & switched off, hence the same underlings spouting the same gas for 10 unfulfilled years will just get on a good players th'ee d bits and stick in their belly like a lump of lead.
8th: not all sentient beings respond identically to the same gas, understand which gas works & with whom.
9th: never light a match in the changing room after gas has been emitted.
10th: the laws of gas are just a scientific theory :roll: , so believe in God instead, you know it makes/doesn't make* sense.

*Delete as per your belief system, always assuming you have one.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:I can see the application of the theory in something like a rowing race, but a rugby match is broken down into targeted sections. 10 minute periods, 5 minute periods, phases of play etc.

Its also not win/lose, it is TBP, LBP, deny the opposition the LBP so there are other match targets.

The comparison I can draw, is that a team needs effective leadership to ensure the targets are understood and bought into for each period/half/phase of play etc. That is one of Ulster's problems IMO.
They need to teach p the bonus points rules, preferably beat it into his head with baseball bats until he remembers
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Rooster wrote:
ColinM wrote:I can see the application of the theory in something like a rowing race, but a rugby match is broken down into targeted sections. 10 minute periods, 5 minute periods, phases of play etc.

They need to teach p the bonus points rules, preferably beat it into his head with baseball bats until he remembers
In fairness......he occasionally gets that right.....bit like a broken clock telling the right time twice a day
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:In summary, I offer you Baggy's 10 Laws of Gas:

1st: put your foot on the gas
2nd: do not take your foot of the gas
3rd: don't run out of gas
4th: you'd better of with wood pellets and an RHI burner
5th: what most coaches say is 90% hot air, the ones with 10% of value are non-Clarkes, the ones with 1% of value are Doaks
6th: pick your gas correctly, nobody will buy into your gas if it's reeking methane.
7th: like Kennedy's Bread, every coach has a shelf-life, thereafter you've heard it all before & switched off, hence the same underlings spouting the same gas for 10 unfulfilled years will just get on a good players th'ee d bits and stick in their belly like a lump of lead.
8th: not all sentient beings respond identically to the same gas, understand which gas works & with whom.
9th: never light a match in the changing room after gas has been emitted.
10th: the laws of gas are just a scientific theory :roll: , so believe in God instead, you know it makes/doesn't make* sense.

*Delete as per your belief system, always assuming you have one.
Baggy.. Your sounding like fit with his commandments..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

No two players are the same and so what works for one, may not work for t'other. I'm no expert and it's something I'd love to know more about but imo even good coaches need the stars in alignment to achieve results, or shed loads of wonga to buy loads of great players.
Very few manage greatness with journeymen teams, but Bobby Robson did it at Ipswich and Ranieri did it with Leicester.
We have some world class players, hampered by shyte coaches and a DOR who's beginning to sound ridiculous.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighter End wrote:No two players are the same and so what works for one, may not work for t'other. I'm no expert and it's something I'd love to know more about but imo even good coaches need the stars in alignment to achieve results, or shed loads of wonga to buy loads of great players.
Very few manage greatness with journeymen teams, but Bobby Robson did it at Ipswich and Ranieri did it with Leicester.
We have some world class players, hampered by shyte coaches and a DOR who's beginning to sound ridiculous.
Baggy's 8th Law Tender. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cockers, how very fu@king dare you. >EW Anyway, I'm stating Laws, not Commandments, Like God's I don't expect anyone to pay a blind bit of attention...............thou shalt not kill........... aye right. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.