Fleg on Play ... Fleg on Play ...!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Fleg on Play ... Fleg on Play ...!

Post by Cornerfleg »

Right maybe some of you more in tune with the modern game can explain this to me.

Was watching the A team on Friday - decent game - quite illuminating in a lot of ways. Now my take when we got into the red zone. Ruck formed ... and all the players get sorted and you can see them all working out 'where do I stand' like wee old fashioned modems on computers you can almost hear the individual dial ups wurring as they try and remember where they should stand ... stand being the operative word - completely inert, outside foot forward - check .... hands out towards ball - check ... completely petrified to the spot - check. Bar Mark Best - I thought he actually played very smart rugby that whole game and for me would have been MOTM only for the few minutes when Gillers decided feck this go do some work here, and Cave using broadband instead of a modem was actually reading what was before him....

anyway I digress...

Switch to the Leinster - as dynamic as it gets - no get out the pirate map and find where X for me is Jimmy, all top 4 inches fully swithed on and working ... decoy runners - players all running short or wide options in the red zone, and when one gets it he's A) travelling at pace and B) instantly has at least on latcher .... why oh why do we at any level at Ulster think we can catch a ball standing alone and still and blarge over the line ... maybe at schools cup does this work but not in the real world. What coach in the brain tank thinks that this is a great idea for a paperweight pack??????

There's a lot that boils my pash this year - but at the minute that is the one thing that really pushed the Big Red do not push button.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
bazzaj

Re: Fleg on Play ... Fleg on Play ...!

Post by bazzaj »

I'm right with you fleg.
Too much focus on players being at a certain point at a certain time and not enough attention on what they do when they get there.

There has to be a frame work of a gameplan so everyone generally knows what's going to happen in a given situation but there has to be some form of individual decision making within that.

I lost count over the seasons at how many times Nick Williams and now McCloskey looked for offloads with no support.
Why?-because the support players are told to be in a certain position a phase later and aren't in position to get receive an offload.

Its rugby by numbers it's mind numbing to watch and I would imagine it's mind numbing to play.

I've completely revised my coaching ethos now and gone against the grain to encourage no numbers on shirts and playing a more off the cuff ball in hand open gameplan.
I'll probably get shot down in flames but I'd rather give it a lash than have to coach more pod systems.

Let you know how we get on.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Re: Fleg on Play ... Fleg on Play ...!

Post by Joe Schmo »

I blame the PE teachers. Useless gimps.