Charlie P

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Re: Charlie P

Post by Joe Schmo »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:I hate stats but here goes.

For Ulster in the Pro 12 Charles has gained the most meters, the most carries (2nd overall teams) the most offloads and leads the defenders beaten Pro 12 stat at 40 (next best is 35).

Interestingly Reidy leads the Pro 12 'Most tackles made' stat at 155 - next best is 146 and Ruan has passed the most 814 compared to the next at 607 - now that is a telling stat!!
That may be something to do with the fact he is a scrum half, just saying
i'm lost for words.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:I bet we won't need to worry about the small print on page 6 of CHARLES contract as we will do enough to quality for the SDC and he will see out his last year... in saying that the wage bill for him and the two new Bokkes isn't doing anything to reduce the debt albeit Ruan's will go some way towards offsetting some of the additional cost... at least he enjoyed his weekend in Paris...
Ye see Cockers. This is what happens when repeated posters add an air of legitimacy to a punt in the dark piece of imaginary twaddle.
Poor old Eggs has his breeks in a bunch and a right royal wedgie as a result.

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Eggs wrote:Just saw Esportifs tweet (retweeted by Ulster rugby). About as blatant an advertisement for a player as you will ever see.

Should we have a genuine concern that he has a getout clause? Struggle to think that it would be failure to progress out of the group stages, but it could be quite reasonable for him to have insisted that he could be released if we are not in the SDC next year. After all he will want to be playing in Europe to be in the shop window for when his contract is up.

It may simply be advertising for the season after next. He certainly won't be staying at Ulster.

I genuinely feel for the guy, from his point of view he must be gutted to be here. As a player he literally couldn't do any more for the side.

On one side I feel like he is just here at the wrong time. Having said that, as terrible a season as this is, can you imagine where we would be without him?? Probably bottom 4...
For the avoidance of any doubt. There is no evidence whatsoever, none, zero, not a scintilla or even a feck of evidence to support the following:
A. There is such a clause in CP's contract
B. He would invoke it if it did exist
C. The FSB have photos of Nucifuhrer and Trump in that Moscow hotel and Putin was once dissed by Logan and hates Ulster.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Charles going nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Moanie McMoaniefaces.
Charlie won't want to leave once we get him a Potatoe Apple, or Rhubarb Tart from Skinners in Holywood. Get him some of that Glenarm Shorthorn, Himalayan Salt aged steak from Hannon's in Moira.
Give him a well poured pint of Guinness, together with a bag of Tayto Cheese'n'Onion crisps.
FFS bring him round to mine and I'll let him taste the finest Ruby Murray in the World served with a Tandoori Sea Bass fillets starter.
Let's go for the nuclear option and I'll plate up an Ulster Fry!
Just keep him well away from the news and he'll fall in love with all us cuddly, loveable humanists, much like Ruan. Then he'll never want to play anywhere else, especially if Boke'n'Clarke do one.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote:
Eggs wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Much against the grain I checked out Twatter and wonder WTF are we talking about hear? Mountains & molehills come to mind. Imagine a PR & Rep company boosting their player to the sadsack social media. You could have named a clatter of players there who they are suggesting are worldbeaters, including young Stockcube.

Not like ye biy.

Yeah, fair, but it comes just as whispers are being whispered that Charles has precautions in place which give him the option of saying no thanks should we become a Parker Pen club. Now bedore the season that looked very unlikely, and I think even now the bookies would favour us being in the SDC, but we will have to manage a big turn around.

And justin, there are multiple other clubs out there who would match (or more likely better) any wage we are paying him, money alone is not going to be enough to keep him here if he gets the option to leave

We will hopefully never find out, as I think we will manage top 6, but it's a scary thought given that we would have lost even more games without him
He had his choice of those clubs when he signed for Ulster Eggs and he chose us (whether it was to join the God Squad, whether it because he fancied the uphill challenge of winning a trophy with Ulster or because he loves the rain or whatever).

I maintain that there's no reason for him to be gutted nor any reason to feel sorry for him.

Whether or not he has a get-out clause is another matter. If he has, and we don't qualify for the SDC, then he'd obviously be perfectly within his rights to exercise it.

It's a shame there isn't a clause in his contract that specifies that he has to play on the wing.

Just out of interest, which games are we saying he won for us besides the Exeter one?

He's got 6 tries (4 in a losing cause) plus the ones against Clermont and Cardiff when we scored 30 odd points and has been AWOL a similar number of times in defence.

For what it's worth, I reckon we're yet to see the best of Charles and he's going to have a field day during the 6N.
I seem to remember a few tackles worth 7 points net.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Is it this tweet we are talking about??

I know we are a cynical bunch but this is paranoia at another level.

No offence Eggs, but there's nothing to see here.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

What the feck is all this ranting about CP and clauses and crap, he is here for another season and that is it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

I'm not overly worried about an agency bigging up a strong performance - with a neutral eye, he deserves credit for his part in what was at times a very entertaining game. Charles should be on the wing for us from now on, whenever possible.

if he chooses to leave at the end of next season, it's understandable. If he was to look for a way out before that, equally so.

I'm happy enough to have seen such a fantastic player at Ulster; he's electrified a fair few games and baffled with his passing options in others. i don't have any expectation about him staying in the long term and hope, for his talent alone, he goes back to NZ and justifiably gets into the AB squad. after another year at least >EW
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Eggs wrote:Just saw Esportifs tweet (retweeted by Ulster rugby). About as blatant an advertisement for a player as you will ever see.

Should we have a genuine concern that he has a getout clause? Struggle to think that it would be failure to progress out of the group stages, but it could be quite reasonable for him to have insisted that he could be released if we are not in the SDC next year. After all he will want to be playing in Europe to be in the shop window for when his contract is up.

It may simply be advertising for the season after next. He certainly won't be staying at Ulster.

I genuinely feel for the guy, from his point of view he must be gutted to be here. As a player he literally couldn't do any more for the side.

On one side I feel like he is just here at the wrong time. Having said that, as terrible a season as this is, can you imagine where we would be without him?? Probably bottom 4...
For the avoidance of any doubt. There is no evidence whatsoever, none, zero, not a scintilla or even a feck of evidence to support the following:
C. The FSB have photos of Nucifuhrer and Trump in that Moscow hotel and Putin was once dissed by Logan and hates Ulster.
Did you just say Putin pished on Fit? Suppose Trump was having a lam shank in the corner?

Evidence please........................... actually, don't bother.

LOOK .........might I add, if Charles had not intended to honour his contract, I'm pretty sure a way out could have been found when he was doing so well at Wasps, who are an English club not on their uppers with a pretty smart deal at Coventry. He said he would come & come he did, no reason to assume he will not see it out.

Further let's not get our panties in a bunch about the SDC, we are 12 points ahead of Connacht, I very much doubt they will scramble that back.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

If we build a pack that can actually dominate teams again rather than either get parity or worse we will finally see Charlie at his best as the others in our back line.

I think back to a pack at the best of
Court, Best, Afoa
Dan T, Muller
Fez, Henry, P3

I think next season with a bit of luck ref fitness, lack of injury, new signings and better coaches we will come good.
The sad thing is it will be too late for Ruan and will it be so accelerated that Best, Trimby, Bowe etc will get some silver wear before they are gone.
It will be a disgrace if they don't!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

I thought this was a CP appreciation thread, better close it now before some ding dong from the beltel says Charlie's leaving.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Charlies agents are very good at signing him deals in advance

Classic agent play this, we're just not used to it being 12 months early

The BIG issue I see here is UR PR sharing items through their official channels of entities not involved in UR and actively acting against the best interests of UR

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Russ wrote:Charlies agents are very good at signing him deals in advance

Classic agent play this, we're just not used to it being 12 months early

The BIG issue I see here is UR PR sharing items through their official channels of entities not involved in UR and actively acting against the best interests of UR

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Who is his agent.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Did you just say Putin pished on Fit? Suppose Trump was having a lam shank in the corner?

Evidence please........................... actually, don't bother.

LOOK .........might I add, if Charles had not intended to honour his contract, I'm pretty sure a way out could have been found when he was doing so well at Wasps, who are an English club not on their uppers with a pretty smart deal at Coventry. He said he would come & come he did, no reason to assume he will not see it out.

Further let's not get our panties in a bunch about the SDC, we are 12 points ahead of Connacht, I very much doubt they will scramble that back.
Putin wouldn't have the balls to mess with Logie... He's like the Coner McGregor of CEOs
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU