Recruiting from non traditional areas?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

connachtfan
Novice

Recruiting from non traditional areas?

Post by connachtfan »

I was wondering where Ulster players are primarily sourced? I imagine it's similar to Leinster IE mostly privately schooled middle class types. Now as I understand Leinster under Cheika managed to start recruiting all over Leinster, not just the schools which produced guys like SOB, Furlong, etc. Now as you can see I don't really know what I'm talking about but has Ulster ever ventured into trying to source lads from all over Ulster, GAA, Soccer/Football areas? Ulsters pack these days is a bit of a joke, you could use a few thick, bog farmers up front. Again I'm completely ignorant when it comes to you boys(and things in general).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Recruiting from non traditional areas?

Post by Dave »

We were discussing this a bit on another thread. Tommy O'Hagan is an academy prop who is from a GAA only school and a good big country fella! He was motm in the Ulster A match last night and could push on into the senior side.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Used to be as you suggest, Connie, although we don't have much in the way of private schools up here, but in the past few years Secondary (non-Grammar) schools and Catholic schools are starting to look interested. As Dave suggests, have a look at the B&I Cup thread.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

If you download the BELB paper on education in Belfast alone, state Grammars ie trad rugby schools make up only about a third of possible rugby catchment.

CCMS schools dont really play in the North afaik, being mainly soccer and GAA. State boys schools such as Ashfield (700 boys) and Model (approx 1000) dont or have stopped playing. In state secondary schools alone there is a wealth of potential if it could be penetrated. Many big ignorant estate or culchie hallions. Not all of those boys are going to be decent wendyballers.
Model is only non grammar skule to ever win the schools cup or put out decent Xv's capable of competing against the grammars until E.W.Davis stepped down. We produced some quality senior players down the years, and the chill factor is less than the CCMS sector, which still seems a cold house sadly. Puzzling they will embrace soccer but not rugby :scratch:
Couple of questions/ comments.
1. Why no non NI based grammer schools entering the Ulster schools cup? Ie from Donegal, monaghan and Cavan.
2. Apart from Model why have no other non grammar schools entered the schools cup (afaik) (is Dromore a grammar school?)or even produced half competitive teams?

Many questions. Until UR can get over the above complex hurdles we will always be fightin with one hand behind our backs in comparison to Ladibois, Turnips and now it seems, the Westies, whom I note now have 4 ex Ulster boys playing... :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Quite a few lads from non traditional schools playing with clubs and some of those guys will filter through the system, a few in the U18 and U19 bracket now
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best