SDC match versus Exeter

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: SDC match versus Exeter

Post by againstthehead »

bazzaj wrote:In answer to Baggys quote above I believe there is an alternative to the need for smashing ball carriers and it actually lies more in the past- the offload.
The New rules have come in and have the potential to change the game as much as lifting in the line-out and the 5 point try.
Tackling will have to be lower therefore hands are freeier to pass out of the tackle.
Also the strike in contact with the ball carrier will be similarly punished so I envisage the hand off to come back in vogue as it's deemed a push rather than a strike.

The overall affect will hopefully be an end to tedious multiphase play and more ball in hand play which we all want to see.
At least that's what I've been coaching for the last month.

My findings were interesting especially that younger lads don't know how to hand off to free the other hand to off load.
They dont know how to tackle low.
Interestingly Shalk Brits admitted recently that he had never been shown how to tackle low.
Head injuries came about through clash of heads between players from the same side tackling low.

I could go on but I wouldn't want to bore you all.
However this will only come in when the kiwis and Aussies start to do it so we'll react to them by which point they'll have moved on.

Are the Ulster lads capable of playing in this fashion?
Well I believe so.
Hendy McCloskey Marshall Cp would be devastating if they did this.
The problem is everyone must buy into it for in to work.
You make some interesting points. These rule changes have effectively altered the rules of engagement. The game as we know has changed somewhat and you're right, there's a big opportunity to some coaching set-up to make some hay when the sun is shining. Eddie Jones, Smoking Joe or Hansen? Whilst I think the punishments are a joke and will ruin games it will be interesting to see how sides adapt and who can lead the way. I think ultimately, world rugby will pull back on the sanctions a bit and be a bit for forgiving for the unintentionals but in the meantime it's going to be a tad chaotic.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

thecrouch wrote:Among all the [very justified] doom and gloom I think wee Davy Shanahan did pretty well, certainly showed he is capable of more than Marshall and with time could turn out to be half-decent.

Of course one swallow does not make a summer, up to him to put in another good showing next week or he's back to square one.

Crouchie I think more important than how he played was the signal it sent that he was plucked from never starting to an SDC start. P is not the answer or any part of it. Perhaps we will see the back of p, Dumb and Dumber in the summer. Is it too much to dream that Les has got his right to decide what happens, may be getting a new set of coaches so isn't listening to D &D any more?

Well a man can dream, eh? If I see Miniscule Dave at 9, and Charles's at 14 I might start to believe it.

Ulster have 100 problems but a bitch ain't one ...... that is NORN IRON's problem.... da bitch.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
thecrouch wrote:Among all the [very justified] doom and gloom I think wee Davy Shanahan did pretty well, certainly showed he is capable of more than Marshall and with time could turn out to be half-decent.

Of course one swallow does not make a summer, up to him to put in another good showing next week or he's back to square one.

Crouchie I think more important than how he played was the signal it sent that he was plucked from never starting to an SDC start. P is not the answer or any part of it. Perhaps we will see the back of p, Dumb and Dumber in the summer. Is it too much to dream that Les has got his right to decide what happens, may be getting a new set of coaches so isn't listening to D &D any more?

Well a man can dream, eh? If I see Miniscule Dave at 9, and Charles's at 14 I might start to believe it.

Ulster have 100 problems but a bitch ain't one ...... that is NORN IRON's problem.... da bitch.
I think there is a lot to be said for how late in the day beagle was sprung from the bench. He got 3 minutes in a game we were chasing.

His time is up.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Shanahan was the one big positive from the game. Well Done Dave.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

As someone said on the Leinster forum, the shocking thing about Ulster's performance is that it's no longer shocking.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

And one swallow doesn't make for a good feed of drink, but you're right about Baby Dave having a solid game.
I know I'm Justified and Ancient, but back in my day we were taught to tackle around the thighs and wrap both arms around, which prevents all forward progress. It only dislodged the ball if you hit them with considerable force, but the impact of shoulder to thigh, usually ended in a dead leg. If you get it wrong it could also end in a broken collarbone, so perhaps the intervening decades have changed tackling low to prevent injuries, but high tackled back in my day were as rare as a real politician from Norn Iron.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The score flatters Exeter slightly .

I have stated before the difference between winning and losing is sometimes down to luck and the bounce of the ball Ulster where still in the game at 24 -19 when Paddy cross kicked infield only for the bounce and the Exeter player making little "Shan the Man " knock on a foot from the line .
In football that would have been a penalty because while trying to play the ball he interfered / pushed the Ulster player with out the ball.

But I think that the fact that Ulster had nearly scored and the fact they had failed to reduced the concentration of the Ulster players and helped Exeter to break and score at the other end .

The team who make the fewest mistakes usually wins .

But with big names and ( big pays ) missing Ulster were always the underdogs since Nov

Ruan Payne and Coetzee that is 1/5 of the team and against Exeter back row and scrum half were key positions .

Exeter were well aware Ulster play a drift defence with a limited back row and exploited it by putting the ball quickly into the a 3 man middle with one player coming in on a straight run which guaranteed delayed tackling of the ball carrier .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

"Limited backrow"

A lot of this sot of chat around, however that limited backrow included Hendo and Henry. So what are we saying, that Reidy is limited. Ok, maybe, but I'm not convinced that backrow is our main problem., I think it's much less simple than that.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Eggs wrote:"Limited backrow"

A lot of this sot of chat around, however that limited backrow included Hendo and Henry. So what are we saying, that Reidy is limited. Ok, maybe, but I'm not convinced that backrow is our main problem., I think it's much less simple than that.
Agreed

Defensively that backrow is sound enough
It's lacking offensively as Hendoooo has to do all the work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

WeeWorld wrote:As someone said on the Leinster forum, the shocking thing about Ulster's performance is that it's no longer shocking.
I have to love the Ulster PR machine though......... The day after we get knocked out of the SDC and to divert from discussions, "lets release that we are signing Botha that will divert them from talking about the game". Wise wee fecker in the back goes..... "and Cooney as well, that will really make it look better"

Love good PR
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It'll only appease the Bakebook Brigade. We all know our problems run from top to bottom and it'll take a miracle to even begin the healing process before the end of the season.
We won't finish in the top six, which will surely then force the slow learners to act, I'd be gob smacked if we hear anything significant before the end of the season and I'm expecting loads more platitudes and mediocrity before we jet off to get some Sun.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.