SDC match versus Exeter

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: SDC match versus Exeter

Post by Russ »

jean valjean wrote:We dont have the rugby intelligence or discipline to play a drift defence. It is much easier to get everyone in a line and bust a gut to get up quick and smash them. What makes it even worse is we dont dominate tackles and have zero turnover threat, therefore we are simply giving up easy metres all the time. Can anyone think of another team that defends the way we do?
Ireland pre Farrell

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:We dont have the rugby intelligence or discipline to play a drift defence. It is much easier to get everyone in a line and bust a gut to get up quick and smash them. What makes it even worse is we dont dominate tackles and have zero turnover threat, therefore we are simply giving up easy metres all the time. Can anyone think of another team that defends the way we do?
Exactly.... why are we persisting with choke tackle? How many times did we attempt it and then lose 5ms trying to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Joe Schmo wrote:I'm so glad Kofth has brought up the McCloskey/Marshall pairing. I'm not impressed with McCloskey and Marshall's decision making is too often poor. It's cave for me, he was poor at the end of last season but we need him back asap.
McCloskey is an incredibly destructive midfield runner who can offload as well as anyone in Ireland. One cap, why? He's a defensive nightmare found out of position far too often. He needs to learn, he's not a youngster starting off anymore. Marshall is usually more solid than he was tonight. He has played himself into the ground in recent weeks.
Shanahan, Herron, Ross and Andrew to start.
Rest as many as the numbers will permit.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:
Exactly.... why are we persisting with choke tackle? How many times did we attempt it and then lose 5ms trying to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The choke has been overplayed and teams are working out how to get out of trouble before it develops. Using it sparingly would have been better, but I suppose it comes down to lack of nuanced decision making.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I would rest everyone too but I have a sneaking suspicion Josef will pipe up and ask for all the Ireland hopefuls to play.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:I'm so glad Kofth has brought up the McCloskey/Marshall pairing. I'm not impressed with McCloskey and Marshall's decision making is too often poor. It's cave for me, he was poor at the end of last season but we need him back asap.
McCloskey is an incredibly destructive midfield runner who can offload as well as anyone in Ireland. One cap, why? He's a defensive nightmare found out of position far too often. He needs to learn, he's not a youngster starting off anymore. Marshall is usually more solid than he was tonight. He has played himself into the ground in recent weeks.
he would be more destructive if he could offload, that would actually make him a useful ball carrier. How many times did we witness Big Nick crashing though looking to offload only to find no one there? I can't really remember Nick just crashing to the ground every time, always looking to offload, something that keeps a defender on the back foot. Agree he has a lot to learn.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

They have a two week break after the Bordeaux match do you think Les wants another defeat-at home? I'd say whoever is fit and same team, not that I care, just saying.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I knew it was all McCloskey's fault. Waiting for that one
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:I knew it was all McCloskey's fault. Waiting for that one Image Image
Who said that?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:I knew it was all McCloskey's fault. Waiting for that one Image Image
Who said that?
I didn't write that anyone 'said' anything.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

About to rant but taking the UR line, couldn't be fecking arsed
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Who said that?
I didn't write that anyone 'said' anything.
makes a change from blaming p. I'm not sure who you could blame for the last few weeks, I'm not sure it's the players.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

kingofthehill wrote:Is this Kiss's fault?
Ultimately.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Joe Schmo wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
he would be more destructive if he could offload, that would actually make him a useful ball carrier. How many times did we witness Big Nick crashing though looking to offload only to find no one there? I can't really remember Nick just crashing to the ground every time, always looking to offload, something that keeps a defender on the back foot. Agree he has a lot to learn.
Did you turn the tele on five minutes into the match?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Rooster wrote:
Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:We're getting maimed upfront
And the Les Kiss passive defensive system is being once again shown up

Frankly shameful to be the only side to play a passive drift

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Defence never works with McCloskey and Marshall together, have we ever won with them in centre ?
As I said earlier :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best