NIQs/Projects?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: NIQs/Projects?

Post by Snipe Watson »

therealspratt wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
That is one of the most nonsensical posts I've ever read.

Despite all the positives he brings to UR, Ruan is not getting a contract extension because he is NIQ. It is this NIQness that is the problem not the fact that he is our key player.
Therefore in the name of everything that is lovely and nice how could you possibly think that there is even the slightest possibility of us being allowed another NIQ scrumhalf? There is a very remote possibility that we may be allowed a project, but that is also a long shot.
If I were a betting man, I'd say we will be bringing in young Curtis on a development contract, giving us 3 prospects at 9, and possibly Marmion as starter.
Curtis is an outhalf and there's not a chance that the IRFU would let us sign Marmion nor I suspect would he want to move up here. It'll be Cooney and Heaney, and we shall have to live with our lot in life.
The Curtis I'm talking about is Graham a scrumhalf and younger brother of Angus the flyhalf. Reputedly a better player too.
Cooney is a possibility, but I don't see why you are so sure the IRFU would block an approach to Marmion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
therealspratt wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
That is one of the most nonsensical posts I've ever read.

Despite all the positives he brings to UR, Ruan is not getting a contract extension because he is NIQ. It is this NIQness that is the problem not the fact that he is our key player.
Therefore in the name of everything that is lovely and nice how could you possibly think that there is even the slightest possibility of us being allowed another NIQ scrumhalf? There is a very remote possibility that we may be allowed a project, but that is also a long shot.
If I were a betting man, I'd say we will be bringing in young Curtis on a development contract, giving us 3 prospects at 9, and possibly Marmion as starter.
Curtis is an outhalf and there's not a chance that the IRFU would let us sign Marmion nor I suspect would he want to move up here. It'll be Cooney and Heaney, and we shall have to live with our lot in life.
The Curtis I'm talking about is Graham a scrumhalf and younger brother of Angus the flyhalf. Reputedly a better player too.
Cooney is a possibility, but I don't see why you are so sure the IRFU would block an approach to Marmion.
For fecks sake young Curtis is the same age as the kid at Inst and sure it would appear we don't have a place for him despite him being the best looking 9 at school age here this millenium :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

any reason why he's being rejected, does his mummy and daddy not live in the necessary postcode
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

scrum5 wrote:any reason why he's being rejected, does his mummy and daddy not live in the necessary postcode
How would you know?
Maybe there is a better young fella out there.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Our root-problem is that our pack are as soft as tom kite. I said when we signed Charlie that yes, he's a terrific player BUT we don't need any more outside backs. Even Ludik we could do without as well. Fekkin load up the pack with brutal Argentinians, Boks and Kiwis. If you can brutalise the opposition up-front then there's not too much they can do. I think our 'strategy?' has been to try and get parity up front and pray that our backs are like little Fifa players on the playstation and can dance around the opposition. Total bollix. You need the carriers to create the space for the dancing out-side and this has been an issue for Ulster for as long as I can remember. Even when we had Ferris and Afoa we weren't particularly effective carrying in the pack but light-years ahead of where we are now.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

againstthehead wrote:Our root-problem is that our pack are as soft as tom kite. I said when we signed Charlie that yes, he's a terrific player BUT we don't need any more outside backs. Even Ludik we could do without as well. Fekkin load up the pack with brutal Argentinians, Boks and Kiwis. If you can brutalise the opposition up-front then there's not too much they can do. I think our 'strategy?' has been to try and get parity up front and pray that our backs are like little Fifa players on the playstation and can dance around the opposition. Total bollix. You need the carriers to create the space for the dancing out-side and this has been an issue for Ulster for as long as I can remember. Even when we had Ferris and Afoa we weren't particularly effective carrying in the pack but light-years ahead of where we are now.
That's not exactly news now is it?
The even bigger problem we are going to have is a complete dearth of talent at scrumhalf. We have youngsters, but they are all 2-3 years from being ready.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

There is no chance we would be allowed to have all of our NIQs as forwards.

Cannot remember an instance when the NIQ split hasn't been a 2 and 2 forward back split..... could be wrong.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Brad shields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

is that rhyming slang for something?
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

kingofthehill wrote:Brad shields

He'd certainly do a job for us. Is that wishful thinking or something of substance?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Should be in the rumours thread.....No
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Muller botha wannenberg? But I think you were allowed more overseas guys back then.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Brad shields

He'd certainly do a job for us. Is that wishful thinking or something of substance?
Wishful thinking but would be a cracking project. His contract is up this year,he was at Ravenhill with babas.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

what ever happened to the rugby league guy who just happened to rock up at training along with an UR TV film crew?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

againstthehead wrote:Our root-problem is that our pack are as soft as tom kite. I said when we signed Charlie that yes, he's a terrific player BUT we don't need any more outside backs. Even Ludik we could do without as well. Fekkin load up the pack with brutal Argentinians, Boks and Kiwis. If you can brutalise the opposition up-front then there's not too much they can do. I think our 'strategy?' has been to try and get parity up front and pray that our backs are like little Fifa players on the playstation and can dance around the opposition. Total bollix. You need the carriers to create the space for the dancing out-side and this has been an issue for Ulster for as long as I can remember. Even when we had Ferris and Afoa we weren't particularly effective carrying in the pack but light-years ahead of where we are now.
I think we all thought Charles was going to be a luxury we didn't really need. In reality he has become an absolute necessity, as last night showed.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?