Montferrand vs UAB Round 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Montferrand vs UAB Round 2

Post by Russ »

So now on to the Auvergne

Any walking wounded? Anyone due back?
Really could do with some more impactful subs

Should Warwick start and McCall come off the bench to ensure we carry some impact into the last 20?

Any news on Olding? Would be good to have him at 23

Will Rory be cited for making contact to the eyes of their tight head?
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Re: Montferrand vs UAB Round 2

Post by Eggs »

Missed the Rory incident, when did it happen? Look bad?

Did the TMO miss it or look at it and have no concerns?

That would be a disaster for us
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Apparently this was it?
Attachments
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG (112.93 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG (199.58 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Eggs wrote:Missed the Rory incident, when did it happen? Look bad?

It was in the last 20 minutes

Rory and chad tried to choke tackle their 3 and rip the ball

Both rory and chad arms flailing. Call comes loose. 3 goes to grab it, rory goes to grab it, 3 complains to ref about a finger to the eye

Barnes calls it purely accidental but the law simply states contact to the eye area

Depends how the citing officer sees it
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

My head is a bit sore this morning Russ but I'm still traveling next week
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

We'll have our hands full from the start next week whatever happens. Personally I wouldn't want them to get an easy foothold in the game around the set piece and restarts, the scrum disintegration in the last 30 was worrying. I'd start our best pack available, and hope the bench can do a job. Apart from AOC or VDM if fit, I don't think they'll be a change. Although midfield defence was wobbly at times lamaret and Fofana broke the line too many times for comfort, no sure if that opens the door for Cave. I think the only way we can play this game is to look to attack them, containment is not an option.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

We need to really work on our inside defence next week

Lopez really attacks the line at pace inside Paddy at 10. Big worry about that away from home
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Russ wrote:

Both rory and chad arms flailing. Call comes loose. 3 goes to grab it, rory goes to grab it, 3 complains to ref about a finger to the eye

Barnes calls it purely accidental but the law simply states contact to the eye area

I thought their own lock made accidental contact as well. But we got squeaky at the time. I think Chad and Rory had his forearm.
Exterminate all rational thought
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Russ wrote:

I thought their own lock made accidental contact as well. But we got squeaky at the time. I think Chad and Rory had his forearm.
Fair. The only angles I've seen have other props in the way
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dharper wrote:We'll have our hands full from the start next week whatever happens. Personally I wouldn't want them to get an easy foothold in the game around the set piece and restarts, the scrum disintegration in the last 30 was worrying. I'd start our best pack available, and hope the bench can do a job. Apart from AOC or VDM if fit, I don't think they'll be a change. Although midfield defence was wobbly at times lamaret and Fofana broke the line too many times for comfort, no sure if that opens the door for Cave. I think the only way we can play this game is to look to attack them, containment is not an option.
From the wider squad, it looks as if FVDM and Roger will be available. Next week will not be for lightweights. Clermont were happy to play our open game, then changed to the forward powerplays as we tired and emptied a substandard bench.
I think we'll get full metal jacket from them next week straight off.

Depending on fitness and citings, I'd have:

McCall Best Herbst
FVdM Browne (to be fair)
Hendo Reidy Chad
RP PJ
CP McCloskey * LM Bowe
LL

Bench: AOC RW AW RH AY* Treadwell Small Cave
6 forwards, and Cave for mix and match with the remaining backs. Think we need forward ballast.
The * are where I'm not sure. Ah You: if Kane was available would be sent to Ravens.
McCloskey was schooled a few times by Fofana and co. Cave would be the connoisseurs choice for defence and general intelligence, but McCloskey will no doubt start for matching bulk.
I haven't accounted for potential returnees such as olding and Trimble.
Treadwell, in fairness showed me more yesterday to persist with him, and credit to Browne, who is 3 times the player he was at first. Still not convinced he is forged from steel, but he offers more pace to the breakdown.
A lbp next week will be a result, but it could get nasty as they know they can mug us up front.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Their Georgian prop was a bit of a mouthpiece during the match, applauding Barnes for awarding Marshalls 2nd try, when he felt he had been blocked. The Rory incident was exacerbated by Zirakshvilli pulling the ball up over his face to prevent Henry and Best ripping it so their hands were around his face to get at the ball. I've watched it a few times but they didn't appear to touch his eyes. He made a real meal of it but he may have got dirt in his eye........or not. Anyway we'll get hammered next Sunday-they didn't like losing yesterday-and/or bust a few players and then lose to Connacht- that would take the enjoyment right out of yesterday's win, for me.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Next week we need a lbp minimum. After that a 5 pointer and at least a win home to BB and away to Exeter. BB our best chance of a 5 pointer, Exeter starting to motor again, so a win may be our best outcome realistically. Much depends on injuries of course and today's result at Sandy Park. Low score win for Exeter and hope BB lose interest. A hoking next week with no return and we need 2 x 5 pointers to even have any chance.
19 points to have a QF chance or forget it. Suspect we will rue that missed LBP at BB. Qualify and its off to Sarries :shock: or Turnipstan :thumleft:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Red needs a shot. I thought yesterday he played well in his cameo, and benching as a 7 as well as hooker opens up the bench a bit for other options. Rory has a great tank but has had a long autumn. Red is a great forward but looked forlorn yesterday as we emptied the bench. Pyrrhic captain. Thoughts?
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Red needs a shot. I thought yesterday he played well in his cameo, and benching as a 7 as well as hooker opens up the bench a bit for other options. Rory has a great tank but has had a long autumn. Red is a great forward but looked forlorn yesterday as we emptied the bench. Pyrrhic captain. Thoughts?
He's no Nigel Brady
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Red needs a shot. I thought yesterday he played well in his cameo, and benching as a 7 as well as hooker opens up the bench a bit for other options. Rory has a great tank but has had a long autumn. Red is a great forward but looked forlorn yesterday as we emptied the bench. Pyrrhic captain. Thoughts?
Not so much Rob needs a shot as Rory needs a rest. Rob is not close to being the player Rory is.
Covering 7 is an emergency only measure.