Ulster vs Dragons Friday 2nd September

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

DaiJamesGwentDragon
Novice

Ulster vs Dragons Friday 2nd September

Post by DaiJamesGwentDragon »

Afternoon all,

A group of 5 dragons fans are heading over for the first game of the upcoming season. Just wondering if anyone could give me any info on a few things: pubs for the Friday pre and post match. And Saturday we want to watch the Munster Scarlets game on sky; where would be the best place to watch this??
Thanks in advance! STAND UP FOR THE MEN OF GWENT/ULSTERMEN
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster vs Dragons Friday 2nd September

Post by Neill_M »

Pre-game, would say the Errigle and the Pavilion are the places to head to - good pubs walking distance from the ground. After the game, they would also be good, also Malone Rugby Club which is walking distance from the ground. Alternatively you may just want to head back into the town after the game.

On the Saturday, Laverys will have the Scarlets Munster game on for sure, depends what part of the town you want to head to.
DaiJamesGwentDragon
Novice

Thanks a lot! We are staying in the ibis budget in the city centre so anything around there will be great!
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

You could also head to the Garrick in the town centre for pre match pints and then jump on the 6a bus (bus stop across the road from the pub at SS Moore's sport shop), which will bring you very close to Ravenspanners and be largely full of kind-hearted Ulster folk. :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

There was some post match entertainment provided at the ground last season. Will keep you updated.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dai, the pubs the guys mention are all good but be aware there are plenty of bars in the ground too, in one of which you will find me. :D Friday night early evening is not always simple getting transport up from town so don't leave it too late.

Enjoy the trip.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:There was some post match entertainment provided at the ground last season. Will keep you updated.
But surely Dai and his mates will want to have some drinkable beer.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Dai, how has the close season recruitment gone for you, I realise that the loss of Taulupe Faletau is massive, have you managed to bring anyone in or have you promoted from within,
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
DaiJamesGwentDragon
Novice

Our recruitment close season has been poor to be honest; We've signed no one of any real note and nobody to replace Toby Faletau. Harri Keddie is our biggest prospect he won Player of the u20's 6 nations and is seen as the long term replacement for Faletau. We have signed a few props from Cardiff Blues. Nick McLeod from Sale (33 year old fly half) and pat Howard formerly of Munster and Nothampton but never made an impression at either. Another long season ahead for us!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I like the Dragons

What time do you arrive on Friday and we can scope out a list of activities for you

Pokemom Go hotspots include Victoria Square and City Hall FYI
DaiJamesGwentDragon
Novice

We arrive around 2pm on the Friday evening. Look to head straight into town for a "few" pre match drinks
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Dai thanks for the update, hopefully a few more resources can be found and it won't be that long of a season for The Men of Gwent. Enjoy your visit and just to cheer you up, due to the IRFU we will probably be missing Best, Henderson, Jackson, Olding, L Marshall, Payne and Trimble.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

scrum5 wrote:Dai, how has the close season recruitment gone for you, I realise that the loss of Taulupe Faletau is massive, have you managed to bring anyone in or have you promoted from within,
Good question....is anyone doing an 'ask the opposition' thread this year?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Russ wrote:I like the Dragons
I like them too, very courteous fans, always stand up and sing with the rest of us, except they never quite get the words right. Don't know why, it's not like there's a lot of words to remember.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My early prediction is a comfortable Dragons win given we have few props and no backrow worth spit.

The season of hope crashes early, desolation sets in on UAFC and all hope is lost. Close but futile SDC campaign gets off to a rocky start with Quiff humiliating Ulster and Exeter making hay whilst we are at AIL strength in the pack. Clarke and Doak remain convinced we can still win the trophy whilst in a rare slip Les Kiss declares Norn Iron and UR to be "shyte holes".

Sure ...... there's worse things happen at sea. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.