What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I read "Browne ........ who can also play flanker ......" and I think to myself "Really??? Evidence please".

2MP has done ok & probably deserves his extension but if Friday past is anything to go on, it's time to lose the bullshite about, "who can also play flanker". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
They used to say Tom Court could play both sides of the scrum.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 10th November 2016

Injury Update: 10th November 2016
http://ulsterrugby.com/news/15442#.WCRgomBvjIU

Mark Anscombe raps his 'ugly' Ulster exit
Sour taste: Mark Anscombe returns to Ireland as Canada coach
Former Ulster coach Mark Anscombe has spoken for the first time of the 'sour taste' left by his axing from the Kingspan top job, blaming 'small-minded individuals' and describing the experience as the ugly side of the game.

New Zealander Anscombe, who leads Canada against Ireland in Dublin on Saturday night, made clear that two-and-a-half years later, the manner of his Ulster departure still clearly rankles.

Speaking yesterday, Anscombe said he never really received an explanation as to why his contract was terminated a year earlier than he had anticipated: "To this day, no, not a thing".

Asked if his leaving still irks him as he returns to these shores, he replied unequivocally: "Most definitely. As a coach you travel, you stand by your results and you're measured by that."

"And that's what made it harder, my results were good and we were doing well," he added.

"It leaves a sour taste. I had a good relationship with the players, as a province we were doing well and then it is just small-minded individuals who have got their own agenda made it happen.

"It's the ugly side of the game and it happens.

"Some people will talk up things if they get the right attention," said the Kiwi.

"I had the first win in France for Ulster and we never lost in France afterwards.

"We led the PRO12 standings, had a sequence of 14 unbeaten games in that competition, qualified for a home semi-final and because of a lack of whatever, stupidity made us give away a home semi-final to our competitors.

"I mean, where else do you see that in the world? And then the following year, we were the only unbeaten team in the European pool stages.

"Jared Payne was red-carded after a few minutes in controversial circumstances and we just lose to Saracens by two points," said Anscombe, referring to Ulster's subsequent quarter-final exit.

"We also made the PRO12 semis again. I'd like to think we were doing quite well actually and the team haven't done as well since," he added.

Suddenly dumped on the rugby scrap heap, Anscombe wasn't the first and won't be the last to find that there are limited job opportunities in the global game - when the Canadians came calling after two years out of the sport, he jumped at the chance.

The Taranaki native is not yet 60 and a club career, either in the northern hemisphere or back home, could yet beckon, but attempting to emulate Eddie Jones' breakthrough with Japan at RWC 2015 excites him.

"Who knows what might happen down the road? It's the beauty of the game," he said.

"A lot of things happen in rugby, people miss out on jobs, it's the element of the sport that you get hurt and other doors open.

"It's a disappointment but you put it behind you and move on from that bitterness and enjoy the new challenges in life. If you're passionate, that's what you try to do. And that's what I feel here now.

"Japan inspired me at the last World Cup and the public got behind them as well as all the other tier-two countries who proved they can get better if they have time and resources and support.

"It is still international rugby and there aren't many opportunities so when one comes up you try to take it."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 03384.html
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 14th November 2016

Henderson is fit and ready for All Blacks
Ulster ace Iain Henderson was won his fitness race ahead of Ireland's massive meeting with New Zealand this weekend and is ready to take on the World champions if selected.

Dillane, Peter O'Mahony and Sean O'Brien all stated their case for inclusion this weekend.

"Iain is available, he trained fully last week and he'll train fully this week again," said team manager Mick Kearney yesterday.

Meanwhile, Casement Park is expected to be included on the list of venues when Ireland formally launch their 2023 World Cup bid today, despite the on­going issues with plans to redevelop the Belfast venue.

GAA stadia are expected to back­bone the bid when it is unveiled at the Aviva Stadium, with the likes of MacHale Park, Semple Stadium and Croke Park likely to be included.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 16361.html

Ulster legend Syd honoured with top World Rugby award
Ulster legend Syd Millar's massive contribution to the sport has been recognised by World Rugby with the Vernon Pugh award for distinguished service. The Ballymena, Ulster, Ireland and Lions prop has had a lengthy career as a player, coach and administrator.

He won 37 caps for Ireland and a further nine for the Lions on three different tours.

The coach of Ireland between 1973 and 1975, Millar was key in the masterminding of the undefeated 1974 Lions tour to South Africa.

Retiring at 45, he was manager of the inaugural 1987 World Cup and was made World Rugby chairman in 2003.

He is one of only 11 Irishmen in the World Rugby Hall of Fame where he will next week be joined by Brian O'Driscoll.

"The World Rugby Hall of Fame recognises those who have made an indelible mark on our sport through feats on the field of play, displays of great character or through their tireless and inspirational work in driving forward our great game," said current World Rugby Chairman Bill Beaumont, the former England skipper.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 16150.html

Bowe sure he'll get back to top but understands Schmidt decision to make him wait
Ulster's Tommy Bowe has admitted Ireland coach Joe Schmidt was right to leave him out of the squad for the Autumn Internationals. The 32-year-old is a veteran of 67 Tests for his country, and only the legendary Brian O'Driscoll has scored more tries in green, but is currently making his way back to his best after almost a full year out with injury.

Having damaged his knee during Ireland's World Cup quarter-final defeat to Argentina in October 2015, and had a first comeback attempt in April of this year last only 80 minutes, regaining match-sharpness was always going to be a laborious process.

He made his first Ulster appearance of the season as a substitute at the beginning of last month but acknowledged it will take him a while to hit previous heights.

"It's frustrating because, having been out for so long, you feel you just want to switch it on but I have been in the game long enough to know it's going to take a little bit of time," he said.

His most recent outing came in the famous black and white hoops of the Barbarians when they were in Belfast to take on Fiji on Friday and the Monaghan man was pleased to get another 80 minutes of match action.

"I need to keep going, get the minutes under the belt," Bowe added.

"I felt quite sharp. I maybe didn't get to stretch the legs too much but if one or two passes had gone to hand I would have been there or thereabouts.

"It's a case of just reading the game and being in the right place at the right time and those tries will come."

Having missed out on the Ireland squad that has already beaten New Zealand and Canada, and will round out the month with another crack at the All Blacks on Saturday before finishing with Australia, Bowe revealed he had been in contact with Schmidt and couldn't complain about the coach's decision.

"When he picked the squad I chatted to him and he was very clear," the two-time Lion acknowledged.

"I couldn't argue with him. I'd only played maybe one or two 80 minutes at that stage and it is not enough to be playing at the top level.

"He still considers me, it is just getting myself back in form.

"I know I'm good enough to get myself back up there but it is going to take time."

For now his efforts are focused on match fitness and Ulster's looming return to Guinness Pro12 action at the end of this month.

The province are in need of results after three league losses in succession and will meet Zebre at home on November 25 in an effort to arrest the slide.

Bowe, whose comeback took him to Shaw's Bridge for an 'A' game last month while Ulster were on the uneven surface of Bordeaux's Stade Chaban Delmas in the Champions Cup, has the understanding of his Director of Rugby Les Kiss too.

"I chatted to Les as well and they have said it's a case of getting as much time under my belt as I can," he said.

"It's going to take time to get that match sharpness back because it's been a long time out.

"For me to get another 80 minutes and play for a team like the Barbarians, not many Irish guys get that opportunity and I was delighted to get the nod for it," he said.

"It was a great experience and something I really enjoyed."

In keeping with the touring side's old traditions, Bowe took the field on Friday night in a pair of club socks, with the decision to don the Armagh red and black a difficult one for the winger, who also togged out for Queens' University before making a name for himself as a professional try-scorer.

"I knew it would be a difficult one to choose between but I just asked the old man and he said 'stick with Armagh, it's a good club and they have always been good for you'.

"Monaghan was where I played mini-rugby but my first senior game was with Armagh. I only had a couple of games with them after that.

"But I know a lot of the guys down there and I'd still go and watch them every now and again when I get the chance.

"I went to school there and it was Armagh I played for first when I left. I scored four tries against Donaghadee in my first senior game."

Ulster, and indeed Ireland, will hope it's not long before he's doing the same on an ever so slightly grander stage.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 16156.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 23rd November 2016

Sur' it's only Zebre........

At home ........

Things can only get better......

Right..........
:roll:

Pro12: Ulster v Zebre (Fri)
Chris Henry is hoping to make his first appearance of the season against Zebre Inpho
Ulster flanker Chris Henry is hoping to be passed fit to make his comeback in Friday's Pro12 game against Zebre after being out with a shoulder injury.

The 32-year-old had surgery during the summer and has been working his way back to full fitness.

Ulster head coach Neil Doak said Henry could be available for the Zebre game, along with back Louis Ludik who has recovered from a fractured cheekbone.

However, centre Stuart McCloskey might need another week before playing again.

McCloskey has not played since September because of a foot injury, the 24-year-old having hobbled off in the early stages of Ulster's win away to Glasgow.

Ulster, Pro12 leaders earlier in the season, have slipped to fifth place in the table after three defeats in a row.

They will be expected to beat one-from-bottom Zebre in Belfast, and after that they face Cardiff away on 3 December.

"We are disappointed about the way things have been going recently, after making a good start to the season," said head coach Neil Doak.

"In the last couple of matches we have not been as clinical as we were in earlier games.

"We have had a break and maybe that has done us good.

"We know what Zebre are going to bring with their physicality. We have to match that, but also be smart with our rugby and clinical when we get opportunities in the right areas."

Zebre have one win from their seven games so far, stunning Edinburgh 19-14 at Murrayfield in October.
+Video Interview...... http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38069028

We can’t go on like this, struggling Ulster warned
Captain Rob Herring has assured Ulster fans that the side are doing all they can to turn around their poor run of form. The province are back in Guinness Pro12 action on Friday with the visit of Zebre (7.35pm kick-off), and the hooker has warned they must get things back on track after a run of four defeats in five games.

“We have to be better and get momentum for the rest of the season because we can’t keep going like this,” he said.

“We want to achieve great things this season. We want to win silverware. We know the last four or five weeks won’t cut the mustard.”

With Friday’s game the first since they lost to Edinburgh three weeks ago, Herring admitted he has been unable to shake off the poor defeat, saying: “I think a lot of the time people don’t really know how players feel. They think we just accept losses like that but we don’t. It really does sit in the back of your mind for ages.

“We weren’t happy with it. We know it wasn’t good enough

“It’s all you’re thinking about. You’re just thinking about what you can do better, what you need to work on, how you’re going to pull the boys together, how we’re going to win the next game. These are things that play on your mind.

“After a game like that you just want to be back in training, back with they boys but we’ve had to wait. We’ve taken a step back and refreshed the batteries a bit. I know we’re going to come out firing on Friday night."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/table ... 37691.html

We'll show Ulster fans how much the jersey means to us: Herring
Ulster joint-captain Rob Herring has assured supporters that the team have been stung by their recent poor form just as much as the Kingspan faithful. The province have lost four of their last five games, with defeat to Edinburgh last time out a particularly poor display from a side who now sit outside the play-off places ahead of Friday's PRO12 visit from Zebre.

"I think a lot of the time people don't really know how players feel," said Herring. "They think we accept losses just like that but we don't.

"It really does sit in the back of your mind for ages. We weren't happy with it. We know it wasn't good enough.

"The guys know we aren't just going to show up at the weekend and win.

"We have to put in the hard yards. We have to be better."

The reverse in Murrayfield came almost three weeks ago but Herring says it has been on his mind throughout the international break.

Not selected for Ireland duty this November, Herring took the opportunity for a short break during the week of the Canada game but his side's slump was never far from his thoughts.

"After a game like that you just want to be back in training, back with the boys, but we've had to wait," he said.

"I went away but it's all you're thinking about. You're just thinking about what you can do better, what you need to work on, how you're going to pull the boys together, how we're going to win the next game.

"These are things that play on your mind.

"The whole squad is buying in. We have to move on. We have to be better and get momentum for the rest of the season because we can't keep going like this.

"We've taken a step back and refreshed the batteries a bit and training has been brilliant.

"There's a few back from injury and there's been a bit more energy. The guys really want to put it right.

"We've trained hard so far, had a few good sessions and we have more in the next couple of days. I know we're going to come out firing on Friday night."

Despite criticism of their showings from elsewhere, with the need to get their flagging season back on track, Herring stressed that the pressure to put things right comes from within, a responsibility he feels even more keenly having assumed the role of joint-captain this summer.

"It's difficult. I have that responsibility, but I've got great guys around me too, senior players who have been here longer than me," he said.

"There's brilliant support from them. We all know we have to get through this together. We have to pull in together and get out the other side of this patch.

"I think there's always external pressure, especially at home.

"We know we owe the crowd a performance but we put pressure on ourselves. You can't rely on external pressures.

"We want to be better. We want to achieve great things this season. We want to win silverware.

"We know the last four or five weeks won't cut the mustard.

"We put pressure on ourselves to be better and all the guys are buying into it.

"In training, if someone is messing up then guys are onto him. It's in a positive way, but so that everyone knows that's not good enough. That's how we grow.

"We won't get anywhere if we're not driven by ourselves."

Zebre come to Belfast having beaten Edinburgh on their last away trip, a feat that was beyond Ulster, while Italian rugby has been buoyed by the national side's first ever victory over the Springboks on Saturday.

The Azzuri, led by former Irish international Conor O'Shea, were 20-18 winners over the two-time World champions in Florence, just a week on from shipping 10 tries to the All Blacks.

While Herring, a native South African who came to Ulster in 2012, has been looking at the shock result from the perspective of the defeated giant, he thinks Italian rugby will get a huge lift from the upset.

"It's been all over my Facebook," he laughed. "The South African media can be pretty harsh, I saw every player given a zero rating.

"But it's a huge occasion for Italian rugby, the first time they've ever beaten them.

"It's only going to affect the rest of the boys positively. Whether that affects the performance (this week), I don't know. I'm sure they'll be happy.

"We know what Zebre can do. They're a good side and they're very physical. They have threats all over the park.

"We're going to have to really attack them this week in the scrum. We've seen what they did to Leinster a few weeks ago. They've a good scrum if we let them.

"Being involved in that Edinburgh game, physicality was one thing we were really disappointed with.

"We let ourselves down massively. We have to bounce back and show what that Ulster jersey means this weekend."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 36892.html

Herbst focused on the task at hand
Having been sidelined with injury for nine months, Wiehahn Herbst made his long awaited return to the Ulster senior squad for the Guinness PRO12 clash with Munster at the end of October.

It looked as though the prop would mark his return with a win, but Rory Scannell's late drop-goal pinched a 14-15 victory for the Munster men at Kingspan Stadium. A week later Herbst also started in Edinburgh and it was disappointment again as the home side ran out 11 point winners.

The trip to Scotland marked the end of a hectic schedule that saw the Ulster men play 10 games in as many weeks across the PRO12 and Champions Cup competitions, and Herbst notes that the international break was a timely welcome:

"The break in games seems to have done everyone good. We've used the opportunity to get a couple of really good weeks of training in and there has been a real positive vibe among the team so now we're focused on bringing that into the next game. A few more players who were out injured have come back into training so that also helps strengthen the squad and push everyone on."

Next up for Ulster is the PRO12 Round 9 visit of Zebre to Kingspan Stadium on Friday night. Despite the Italian side sitting second from bottom, Herbst knows that Ulster are not in a position to take anything for granted:

"We've had some disappointing recent results but we haven't been dwelling on them. Our emphasis has just been to focus on ourselves and address what we need to fix each week ahead of the next game. Zebre are very much an improving team and we saw what they are capable of when they beat Edinburgh recently. The PRO12 is a very tough competition. The standards are higher than they have ever been so you need to give every game your full attention."

Despite having an away trip to Cardiff, back-to-back Champions Cup clashes with Clermont and an Inter-Provincial showdown with Connacht all to come before Christmas, the South African's concentration is entirely on the task at hand:

"We can't look past this weekend and we haven't even spoken about what comes after Friday. At this stage of the season we need to take it week by week and look at the next game up. Every week presents a new opportunity for us to get back out there and put in the type of performance we know we're capable of, so we're all looking forward to that."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15471.php#.WDVUkWBvjIU
Last edited by Mac on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 24th November 2016

Ulster captain Rob Herring aiming for quick fix against Italians Who writes this rubbish..... oops!
Having won just one of their last five outings, Rob Herring says the desire is there within the squad to get back to business and make a go at the top four of the Guinness PRO12
Inpho
Some of the results Ulster had before the international break weren't exactly ideal. Defeats to Munster and Edinburgh were not part of the script written by a side who started the season with five straight wins.

Therefore it was something of a relief for co-captain Rob Herring that his native country suffered one of the most embarrassing defeats in their history at the weekend.

Although he's Irish qualified, and arguably more of an Ulsterman than anything else now, watching the Springboks lose to Italy was painful, as was the angry media reaction back in South Africa.

"It’s been all over my Facebook," the Cape Town-born hooker says. "The South African media can be pretty harsh, I saw every player given a zero rating!"

Having left South Africa to pursue a career with Ulster, and eventually Ireland, there's still that link to his homeland that remains as he wistfully acknowledges that the current Springboks are a far cry from the all-conquering 2007 side.

Ironically the Springboks have a lot of the same problems that Ulster do right now - namely an issue with picking up wins in their recent encounters, with South Africa winless in their last four and Ulster boasting a record of one win from their last five.

The difference between the two sides is that Ulster have had a two week break to reflect upon and regather from their poor run of form. South Africa are coming to the end of a four-game stretch against Wales on Saturday.

Which is preferable is a matter of opinion. Herring, for instance, would have rather been back out on the pitch the week after Ulster's dismal 28-17 reverse in Murrayfield against Edinburgh two weeks ago.

"After a game like that you just want to be back in training, back with the boys, but we've had to wait," he claims. "We've taken a step back and refreshed the batteries a bit. Training has been brilliant.

"I think a lot of the time people don’t really know how players feel. They think we just accept losses like that but we don’t. It really does sit in the back of your mind for ages.

"I went away and it’s all you’re thinking about. You’re just thinking about what you can do better, what you need to work on, how you’re going to pull the boys together, how we’re going to win the next game.

"These are things that play on your mind. We’ve trained hard so far, had a few good sessions and more in the next couple of days. I know we’re going to come out firing on Friday night."

Ideally, this is the exact game Ulster wanted coming out of the international break on the back of two consecutive defeats - Zebre at home (kick-off 7:35pm) tends to be a game you can bank on as a five-pointer.

But it's a night packed with unknowns. Which Ulster will we see - the one that went five games unbeaten or the one that has struggled so recently? Will Italy's big win over South Africa boost Zebre?
http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/rugb ... g-12215440

Doak hopes for 'smarter' Ulster
Inpho
Ulster head coach Neil Doak wants his side to be "smarter and more clinical" in this weekend's Pro12 game against Zebre at Kingspan Stadium.

The Irish province, who are on a three-match losing run, return to action on Friday after a three-week break, and Doak hopes for an improvement on their disappointing performance during the 29-17 defeat to Edinburgh at Murrayfield on 4 November.

"We got off to a good start to the season, but we haven't been as clinical in the last number of games," he told BBC Sport NI.

"But maybe the break has done us some good - we have had a good's week's training, and we know the physicality Zebre will bring.

"We have taken stock over the last few games, and know we have to be smarter and more clinical when we get the right opportunities."

Ulster, who were early Pro 12 pacesetters, currently lie fifth in the table after those three recent defeats, but Doak says a run of good results would soon propel his side back up the league table.

"Scarlets and Connacht lost games early on at start of the year but we know that every game's vital to us now and we have to get four points at least on Friday," he told the Irish News.

Chris Henry (shoulder) and Stuart McCloskey (foot) haven't recovered from their injuries in time to face second-from-bottom Zebre, while Luke Marshall has been called up by Ireland as injury cover.

Our resources are pretty much stretched at the moment, even without another late call for Ireland; it could be later in the week before we know who, if anyone, we'll get back," Doak continued.

"But we're kicking on with regards to the team anyway assuming none of the [Ireland] players are coming back but, if any do, that will be an added bonus. It's a little bit frustrating, particularly from a back line point of view.

"We were training with just eight backs, some not in their usual positions, but it's part and parcel when we're feeding into international system and, on top of that, when you've got injuries."

However, Louis Ludik should feature against the Pro 12 strugglers after recovering from a fractured cheek bone.

"It's massive to have him back - he's been one of our players of the season so far and the flexibility he offers is key to us whether he's playing full-back or centre," Doak said.

"He's been absolute quality and he'll hopefully come back into the mix. It took him a wee while to pick it up at training, but he's been superb for us."
https://www.eirsport.ie/doak-hopes-for-smarter-ulster

Trimble hails Jackson as player who can make Ireland tick
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/a ... 41040.html

Joe Schmidt sweats on injuries as Henderson set for recall :banghead:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/j ... 41038.html

Andrew Trimble still finding new ways to look up to Rory Best
Ireland winger hails influence of captain who will win his 100th cap against Australia :bowdown:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/a ... -1.2879597

Munster close to finalising Farrell
http://www.the42.ie/munster-to-sign-gre ... 2-Nov2016/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

PART II

Ulster v Zebre: My birthday was ruined by horror injury but now I am raring to go again - Louis Ludik
As injuries go, this one was truly horrible and even managed to pretty much be the ruination of Louis Ludik's 30th birthday.

He shudders when recalling the aftermath of a sickening, though accidental, clash of heads with Bundee Aki, late on in October's defeat to Connacht at the Sportsground, which resulted in Ludik fracturing his cheekbone and requiring surgery to repair the damage.

At least the returning South African can smile about it now - which is more than he could manage for a while after the incident from which Aki emerged largely unscathed - but the aftermath of the injury proved to be particularly invasive for the versatile Ludik who can play centre, wing and full-back.

"We played on the Friday night and the Saturday was my birthday," he recalls.

"And they wanted me to have the surgery on the Saturday, but I just said 'oh please, can we just have it on the Monday because I don't want to spend my birthday in a hospital'.

Even though Ludik was granted his wish, his 30th naturally, didn't quite turn out to be what the former Sharks and Agen player had envisaged.

"I wasn't in great form," he admits.

"This was one of the weirdest injuries. Because it's in your face you feel it the whole time especially when you smile and then you can't really eat.

"I had to drink soup most of the time, and through a straw too, which wasn't ideal."

Mind you, he had, at least, managed to sign a new contract the day before going to Galway which will keep the popular Ludik at the Kingspan until 2020 and enable him qualify for Ireland from next summer.

That helped ease the pain of the injury and being felled yet again after struggling with a groin problem last season. And what was even more frustrating for Ludik was having to sit things out for over a month after having been in such electric form.

Even though he had missed the season's opening clash with the Dragons, thanks to a hand issue picked up in the pre-season friendly against Northampton Saints, Ludik had then returned to be one of Ulster's stand-out players prior to that Galway game which turned out to be the province's first defeat of the season.

Including the reverse at Connacht, Les Kiss's side have stumbled on to lose four from five with only one of those defeats coming in Europe at Bordeaux.

So, heading into tomorrow night's home game with lowly Zebre - who have managed more than Ulster achieved by beating Edinburgh in Murrayfield, the 11th-placed Italians' only win in seven games - is all about Ulster putting the brakes on their poor run in the PRO12 though.

"When a team goes up and down with form you just want to be out on the field," says Ludik who is expected to play and bring much-needed direction to Ulster's injury-hit and Ireland-diluted backline on Friday evening.

"You just want to help the guys out but, at last, I'm back and hopefully fit enough to play," he added.

As Ludik maintains the three-week break in games has seen the squad regroup with added determination to arrest this slump in form.

"The guys are hungry to get out again and show the supporters that we've got so much passion for this jersey.

"And we have to get our momentum back."

Meanwhile, Chris Henry could yet be making his long-awaited first appearance of the season for Ulster after finally recovering from shoulder surgery.

It is believed that the 32-year-old flanker, who last played for the province in May's PRO12 semi-final defeat at Leinster, has now made a full recovery and may well feature in Les Kiss's match-day squad to take on Zebre.

Henry's involvement would be a major boost for Kiss's struggling side. However, the hugely experienced player might still be ruled out due to not having sufficiently recovered from an illness.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 40486.html

Ireland captain Rory Best set to join the exclusive 100-cap club
The 34-year-old Ulster hooker has grown into his leadership role.
Best with his children, Ben and Penny, after Ireland beat the All Blacks. Dan Sheridan/INPHO
RORY BEST WILL join an exclusive club on Saturday.

Brian O’Driscoll, Ronan O’Gara, Paul O’Connell, John Hayes, now Rory Best.

The Ulsterman will become the fifth man to win 100 caps for Ireland when Jérôme Garcès signals the beginning of Saturday’s November Test against the Wallabies at the Aviva Stadium [KO 5.30pm, RTÉ 2].

Best will also be captaining Ireland for the 11th time this weekend, and can already count two major achievements among the highlights of his leadership.

While this year’s Six Nations was a difficult one for Ireland, Best is the only Irishman to have captained his side to a win over New Zealand and victory over the Springboks on South African soil.

“He has been excellent,” says Ireland assistant coach Simon Easterby. “He has captained the team to some things that other captains haven’t been able to achieve, like winning a test match in South Africa.

As much as we felt like we missed an opportunity to win a series, he was excellent on that tour.

“And taking the side to Chicago and beating the All Blacks for the first time in our history was pretty special, again he had a big part to play in that. He has a lot of good support around him as well from the senior players who offer a lot of help and guidance and assistance.

“Rory plays with his heart on his sleeve and he is also a very good operator. He works well with the referee in trying to get the most out of situations, even though sometimes the referee won’t take the advice.
Billy Stickland/INPHO

“We all know that captains have a role to play in that and he is very good and deals with them pretty well. He is in a good place at the moment.”

Best made his Ireland debut back in November 2005, coming off the bench at Lansdowne Road in a 45-7 defeat to the All Blacks. He had to wait a year for his first international start in the 32-15 victory over South Africa, also in Dublin.

His battle with Jerry Flannery for Ireland’s number two shirt in the years that followed brought the best out of both players, before Best firmly established himself in 2011 as injuries took their toll on the Munster man.

Remarkably, Best has started every one of Ireland’s Six Nations games in the last six years – a run of 30 consecutive games in the tournament.

Now, after a Test career that has also taken in three World Cups, the 34-year-old is set to join the short list of Irish centurions.

“On and off the pitch he’s an example to follow for young people, young fellas and even me,” says his 32-year-old team-mate Andrew Trimble.

“I’m only a few years younger than him and I’m still looking up to him and I’ve been looking up to him for a long time.

“So he’s 100% deserving of this accolade of becoming a centurion. He’ll take it and he’ll rise to the occasion but he’ll be humble enough not to make the day about him. He’ll make it about Ireland and getting the result, so that’s what you want from a leader like that and that’s why he’s looked up to so much.”
Best led Ireland to their first-ever win against the Boks on South African soil. Billy Stickland/INPHO

Best’s appointment as Ireland captain was a popular one, although he followed in the footsteps of two high-profile legends in O’Connell and O’Driscoll.

“It’s maybe a little bit in between the two,” says Trimble of Best’s captaincy style. “I suppose he can do it all really.

“I’ve watched him develop as a captain and leader, more and more. Even in the last six months more and more of what he says holds a lot of weight and grabs people’s attention.

He’s got that ability to deliver what he has to say and be precise in the way that you’d want the team to be led, being precise and specific about the key messages that are delivered.

“As well as that, whenever you get on the pitch, you just follow him into battle and he’s a guy who sets the example and sets the tone for intensity with and without the ball; he knows the game plan inside and out.

“In defence he knows exactly what he wants to do; get off the line and he’s tough and rugged and hardy. I could go on all day but I’ll started getting slagged! But he’s a guy I’ve looked up to for a long time and he very much deserves this accolade.”
http://www.the42.ie/rory-best-100-caps- ... 9-Nov2016/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

PART II - Teams
Key players return for Zebre clash
Chris Henry will make his first appearance of the season for Ulster on Friday night after being named in Les Kiss' starting XV for the game against Zebre (Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm).

The Guinness PRO12 Round 9 tie will also see Louis Ludik return from injury to don the 13 jersey, while Ireland backs Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy will rejoin the squad from international duty.

Almost 15,500 tickets have been sold already, but there is still limited availability at http://www.ulsterrugby.com/buytickets.

Marshall and Ludik are paired together in midfield by Kiss, with Brett Herron and Ruan Pienaar continuing in the half back positions. Jacob Stockdale, who made an impressive try-scoring impact against Edinburgh three weeks ago, is included in an exciting back three combination that will feature the experienced Tommy Bowe and Charles Piutau.

Henry, who will earn his 151st Ulster cap, is named in a combative back row alongside Clive Ross and Sean Reidy, with the latter packing down at number 8.

Pete Browne and Franco van der Merwe will reignite their lock partnership, while skipper Rob Herring will be joined by Kyle McCall and Wiehahn Herbst in the front row.

Gilroy, Rob Lyttle and Paul Marshall will offer no shortage of pace if called upon from the replacements bench. The front row cover will be provided by John Andrew, Callum Black and Andy Warwick, with Dan Tuohy and Robbie Diack, who boast 318 Ulster caps between them, also included in the match day squad.

Ulster team and replacements to play Zebre, Friday 25th November, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):
(15-9): C Piutau, T Bowe, L Ludik, L Marshall, J Stockdale, B Herron, R Pienaar;
(1-8): K McCall, R Herring (capt), W Herbst, P Browne, F van der Merwe, C Ross, C Henry, S Reidy;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, C Black, A Warwick, D Tuohy, R Diack, P Marshall, C Gilroy, R Lyttle.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15474.php#.WDbbwGBvjIU

Preview: Ulster v Zebre
Chris Henry will make his first appearance of the season for Ulster on Friday night after being named in Les Kiss' starting XV for the game against Zebre.

Chris Henry will make his first appearance of the season for Ulster on Friday night after being named in Les Kiss' starting XV for the game against Zebre (Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm).

The PRO12 Round 9 tie will also see Louis Ludik return from injury to don the number 13 jersey, while Ireland backs Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy will rejoin the squad from international duty.

Marshall and Ludik are paired together in midfield, with Brett Herron and Ruan Pienaar continuing in the half-back positions. Jacob Stockdale, who made an impressive try-scoring impact against Edinburgh three weeks ago, is included in an exciting back three combination that will feature the experienced Tommy Bowe and Charles Piutau.

Henry, who will earn his 151st Ulster cap, is named in a combative back row alongside Clive Ross and Sean Reidy, with the latter packing down at number eight.

Pete Browne and Franco van der Merwe will reignite their lock partnership, while skipper Rob Herring will be joined by Kyle McCall and Wiehahn Herbst in the front row.

Gilroy, Rob Lyttle and Paul Marshall will offer no shortage of pace if called upon from the replacements bench. The front row cover will be provided by John Andrew, Callum Black and Andy Warwick, with Dan Tuohy and Robbie Diack, who boast 318 Ulster caps between them, also included in the match day squad.

Zebre are without 12 internationals capped by the Italian national team ahead of Saturday's match against Tonga in Padua.

For this reason, the coaching staff have called six permit players who plays for clubs taking part in the main Italian league Excellence.

Three of them, Simone Balocchi, Alberto Chiesa and Giovanni Pettinelli, have been included in the starting line-up.

Back in the squad for the match against Ulster are several players who recovered from their injuries since the last official game in Parma against Leinster.

There is a first seasonal selection for Italian international Mattia Bellini, who will start at the left wing along with full-back Dion Berryman.

In the second row, Gideon Koegelenberg and Valerio Bernabò are available for selection after missing the last three games.

Form: Ulster Rugby’s only victory in their last five matches in all tournaments was 19-18 at home to Exeter in the European Champions Cup on 22 October. The Ulstermen’s single point defeat to Munster in their most recent encounter at Kingspan Stadium ended a seven game winning run at the venue. Zebre’s only victory so far this season was 19-14 against Edinburgh at Murrayfield in round 7 of the PRO12. Zebre have never won successive away games in the history of the tournament and have yet to record a victory when visiting an Irish province. Ulster’s only defeat to Zebre in eight previous meetings was 6-13 in Parma in September 2014.

Ulster: 15 Charles Piutau, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Louis Ludik, 12 Luke Marshall, 11 Jacob Stockdale, 10 Brett Herron, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Sean Reidy, 7 Chris Henry, 6 Clive Ross, 5 Flip van der Merwe, 4 Pete Browne, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Rob Herring (c), 1 Kyle McCall
Replacements: 16 John Andrew, 17 Callum Black, 18 Andy Warwick, 19 Dan Tuohy, 20 Robbie Diack, 21 Paul Marshall, 22 Craig Gilroy, 23 Rob Lyttle

Zebre: 15 Dion Berryman, 14 Simone Balocchi, 13 Matteo Pratichetti, 12 Tommaso Castello (c), 11 Mattia Bellini, 10 Alberto Chiesa, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani, 8 Derick Minnie, 7 Johan Meyer, 6 Giovanni Pettinelli, 5 Federico Ruzza, 4 Gideon Koegelenberg, 3 Dario Chistolini, 2 Carlo Festuccia, 1 Bruno Postiglioni
Replacements: 16 Luhandre Luus, 17 Andrea De Marchi, 18 Guillermo Roan, 19 Valerio Bernabò, 20 Giovanni Licata, 21 Carlo Engelbrecht, 22 Maicol Azzolini, 23 Lloyd Greeff

Date: Friday, November 25
Venue: Kingspan Stadium
Time: 19:35 local (19:35 GMT)
Referee: Craig Evans (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Wayne Davies (Wales), Helen O’Reilly (Ireland)
TMO: Paul Adams (Wales)
http://www.planetrugby.com/news/preview ... v-zebre-5/
Image Image
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: What the Papers Say 2016/2017 ..........TEAMS

Post by Amiga500 »

Not newspaper, but very useful information:

http://www.pro12rugby.com/broadcast-schedule/

If admin want to move this somewhere else, go ahead and do so!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Amiga500 wrote:Not newspaper, but very useful information:

Are you seeing something more useful than I am? I'm just seeing a list of matches, ko times and wee logos of the teams' crests.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:

Are you seeing something more useful than I am? I'm just seeing a list of matches, ko times and wee logos of the teams' crests.
Really? I've got no crests, just matches and TV logos. Interesting :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

Really? I've got no crests, just matches and TV logos. Interesting Image
Aye - I see that on the big pewter, doesn't show up right on my phone.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

BR wrote:

You not seeing the TV channels where each match is being broadcast?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Amiga500 wrote:
BR wrote:

You not seeing the TV channels where each match is being broadcast?
Not on my phone.

Their whole website is so over complicated that it has become unusable.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

5 Flip van der Merwe,

Have we signed Franco's replacement already? :fleg:
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Fridayday 25th November 2016

Image MATCH DAY 9

Ulster fightback starts here: Star man Piutau
Ulster talisman Charles Piutau insists the province must improve their stuttering form - starting tonight against Zebre at the Kingspan Stadium (7.35pm).

The star full-back has been impressive since arriving this summer but hasn't been able to stop his new side falling to a run of three straight league defeats.

But with lowly Zebre at home tonight, the All Black says it's high time to turn things around.

"We started with a bang and had a few wins on the trot but the last few weeks haven't been good enough," he admitted.

"We haven't done as well as we would like to. We're lucky it's still early because we can improve."

Ulster have Chris Henry in the side for the first time this season while Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy have been released from Ireland.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 43782.html

Ulster star Charles Piutau's special reason to sparkle
Ulster's top man will have his mum and dad at crucial match and is determined to show recent poor run has been nothing but a blip
Having spent the first three months of his Ulster career rapidly adding admirers, Charles Piutau will have some more familiar fans in the Kingspan Stadium tonight when the province take on Zebre (7.35pm kick-off).

Piutau's parents, Manako and Melenaite, will be at the home of Ulster Rugby this evening with Charles keen to show them the form that has already made him a crowd favourite in his new home.

"Having them in the stadium, watching the game, and watching me play, it's always a huge motivator and I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

"It's great for them too. They can get some peace of mind knowing it's a great city here that I'm in and seeing the set-up at Ulster. It helps for them to see how good everything is here for me.

"It's been a bit cold for them this week, but that's been the only problem."

Family visits are a welcome connection to home for Piutau, he is the youngest of 10 siblings and even last season at Wasps had big brother Siale for company, but he continues to relish this journey into the unknown.

"It all kind of came out of the blue but being here now, it's great the things that I've experienced on the field but off it too. I'm loving every moment of it," he said.

"I think from about the third month here I felt really settled and started to see Belfast and the club as home. There's great people here, the staff but the fans too.

"The fans are such a huge part of this club. They've made my transition really smooth. Around the city, just when you're out for coffee, they're so genuine. They love the club and love rugby."

If Piutau could change one thing though, other than the dropping temperatures which are felt all the more keenly as New Zealand enters summer, it would be the recent run of results.

Ulster have dropped three in a row in the Guinness Pro12 for the first time since 2011/12, the last year in which they failed to make the end of season play-offs.

It's a run which has rendered their impressive start to the campaign - they reeled off five straight wins to kick things off - nothing more than a distant memory as they look up at the league's top four.

After such a dire team performance away to Edinburgh last time out, Piutau admits that the three-week break in Pro12 action could have come at a better time.

"You have to take it as a time to freshen up but it's always at the back of your mind that you're hurting. We're looking forward to getting out there and making sure we put in a much better performance," he said.

"We started with a bang and had a few good wins on the trot but the last few weeks haven't been good enough.

"We haven't done as well as we would like to. We're lucky it's still early days because we have to improve it."

Even after seeing his old Wasps team-mates put 82 points on Zebre in the Champions Cup, the 25-year-old believes that Les Kiss's men must be at their best if they are to get back to winning ways tonight.

"It's not an easy task ahead at all," he warned.

"They've shown what they can do to other teams if you're not at your best and we have to be preparing like it's one of the top teams that we're going against. We have to be on point and bring our 'A' game if we're going to get the right result.

"It's the start of a really big run for us," he said, knowing that Cardiff, Connacht and Leinster, as well as a European double with Clermont, are all to come before the new year.

"There's great challenges ahead. But that's exciting for players and coaches too."

Even against usually uninspiring opposition, there is no escaping what is at stake for Ulster when even a failure to earn a bonus point would see grumblings continue.

It is odd, perhaps, then for Piutau that, unlike in Super Rugby, so many games of importance occur without current international players present.

Instead, he looks at it as an opportunity for youngsters, the likes of Jacob Stockdale and Rob Lyttle, to impress.

"It is definitely different," he reflected. "I kind of experienced it last year in the Aviva (Premiership) too.

"It's one of those things but it's an awesome experience for younger guys too."

Soon the likes of Rory Best and co will be back though and Piutau is sure they have been boosted by Ireland's first ever win over his homeland.

"I guess I was kind of neutral," he laughed. "I have friends on both teams now. It was a great rugby display by both teams and one win for Ireland and one for New Zealand. It was a win win for me!

"I think they're going to bring so much energy and confidence from the international team. That's going to boost us here when they come back."

For now, Piutau is not a bad man to be holding the fort.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 43469.html

Chris Henry makes first appearance of season as Irish duo also return
Flanker Chris Henry is back in the fold for Ulster against Zebre this evening (7.35pm kick-off) and is named in the side for the first time this season.

The 32-year-old has struggled with a shoulder issue since the summer but boosts Les Kiss with his return to the number seven jersey tonight.

Henry is not the only returnee with both Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy released from the Ireland camp preparing to meet Australia tomorrow.

With Robbie Henshaw injured, Marshall will be disappointed not to get another Test cap but instead will start at inside centre for the province.

His midfield partner will be Louis Ludik in a new-look pairing after the South African recovered from a broken cheekbone sustained against Connacht last month.

The returns of four senior players gives the line-up a considerably bolstered look as the side looks to address a three-game Pro12 slide.

Charles Piutau is at full-back with Tommy Bowe and Jacob Stockdale, one of the few to impress against Edinburgh, also in the back-three as Gilroy has to make do with a place on the bench.

Kiss has resisted the temptation to move Ruan Pienaar into out-half with the Springbok staying at scrum-half and Brett Herron again wearing 10 in the absence of Paddy Jackson.

In the pack, Rob Herring is joined in the front-row by Kyle McCall and Wiehahn Herbst with plenty of emphasis sure to be placed on negating the Italian's scrum.

"Zebre are very much an improving team and we saw what they are capable of when they beat Edinburgh recently," said Herbst.

"The Pro12 is a very tough competition. The standards are higher than they have ever been so you need to give every game your full attention.

"The break in games seems to have done everyone good. We've used the opportunity to get a couple of really good weeks of training in and there has been a real positive vibe among the team so now we're focused on bringing that into the next game.

"A few more players who were out injured have come back into training so that also helps strengthen the squad and push everyone on."

Behind him in the scrum will be again be Pete Browne and Franco van der Merwe, while Clive Ross and Sean Reidy join Henry in the back-row.

Despite the international window, there is plenty of experience among the replacements.

Joining Gilroy are Irish-capped trio Dan Tuohy, Paul Marshall and Robbie Diack.

Youngster Rob Lyttle is also waiting in the wings with John Andrew, Kyle McCall and Callum Black the front-row subs.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 43460.html

:fleg: Five Ulster men in for Rory Best's 100th
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 43766.html

Chris Henry back to bolster Ulster’s challenge against Zebre
Province look in good shape to reignite season with victory over depleted Italian side
Chris Henry is a welcome addition to the Ulster team, returning following shoulder surgery to play his first game since the Guinness Pro12 semi-final defeat to Leinster last season.

The 32-year-old flanker is named in a very combative and athletic backrow that includes Clive Ross and Sean Reidy. Whatever the collective noun for flankers, may be – perhaps “a pilfering” – they should wreak havoc at the breakdown.

Luke Marshall was released from Ireland training camp and starts in the centre, while Craig Gilroy, another in Carton House during the week, is named on the bench. Louis Ludik, a standout player for Ulster this season, returns after injury.

Tommy Bowe continues to rack up the game time while it’s good to see Jacob Stockdale being given an opportunity to play alongside the outstanding Charles Piutau.

Brett Herron deputises for Paddy Jackson at outhalf.

Ulster coach Les Kiss can call upon a strong bench that includes Irish internationals Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack and one of the best young prospects in Irish rugby in Rob Lyttle.

Away triumph

Zebre won their first match of the season last time out, a brilliant away triumph against Edinburgh but have never prevailed in successive matches in the history of the tournament.

The Italian side are without 12 internationals required for duty with the national side that takes on Tonga, in Padua, and as a result, have had to call up six permit players from the domestic Italian league.

This is the perfect setting for Ulster to reignite their season that has stalled somewhat recently in winning just one of their last five matches in all competitions including suffering a defeat against Munster, for the first time in seven matches at the Kingspan Stadium.

The usual rules apply when facing an Italian team, win set-piece ball and Ulster have enough clout behind the scrum to inflict serious damage on the scoreboard.

ULSTER: C Piutau; T Bowe, L Ludik, L Marshall, J Stockdale; B Herron, R Pienaar; K McCall, R Herring (capt), W Herbst; P Browne, F van der Merwe; C Ross, C Henry, S Reidy. Replacements: J Andrew, C Black, A Warwick, D Tuohy, R Diack, P Marshall, C Gilroy, R Lyttle.

ZEBRE: D Berryman; S Balocchi, M Pratichetti, T Castello (capt), M Bellini; A Chiesa, G Palazzani; B Postiglioni, C Festuccia, D Chistolini; G Koegelenberg, F Ruzza; G Pettinelli, J Meyer, D Minnie. Replacements: L Luus, A De Marchi, G Roan, V Bernabò, G Licata, C Engelbrecht, M Azzolini, L Greeff.

Referee: C Evans (Wales).
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2880803
Image Image