The future of Stuart Olding

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

RugbyFan2014
Novice

The future of Stuart Olding

Post by RugbyFan2014 »

The lad is clearly an immensely talented chap, would anyone else like to see him utilised more at No.10?

Outhalf is clearly turning into an area of weakness when Paddy isn't available, and either way, you always need two quality players in each position. I haven't seen much of Windsor, so I can't comment there, and as much as Humphreys seems like a nice bloke - he's not particularly reliable at the top levels we need him to be, to say the least.

Luke Marshall was once a skillful player, good distribution and a solid kicking game, but the powers that be decided to crash him up from inside centre and as a result his fitness and form began to suffer. Thankfully he looks like he's over his run of concussions and is now returning to some good form, he's kicking more (taking the pressure off 10) and showing his skills again.

Is anyone else fearful of Olding's long-term injury situation when he's put into the heavy traffic of the midfield, when he can develop his skills further from 10, take pressure of Paddy, and we still have the midfield options of McCloskey/Cave/Marshall and in the future Piutau?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The future of Stuart Olding

Post by Cornerfleg »

These days any player is one tackle hit or slip away fron ending theur career. Sadly.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He now has to be used as an alternative to PJ but I wouldn't change his position thinking it will stop him getting injured.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Olding should be developed as a 12 first and foremost. I like the idea of him having some time at 10 to increase our depth in this area as well as his own all round game, but not at the expense of developing consistency at 12.

Also, as I believe Olding will be very much part of the Ireland set up himself, he shouldn't be seen as the long term back up 10 during international periods (as he probably won't be available. We need another one (looks like it's going to be Marsh). Bath had to start Dan Bowden at 10 last night (who hadn't played there for 4 years) as they were similarly caught out, with Ford, Priestland and Devoto all away.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

No offence to Paddy Wallace, but Olding could be what we hoped Paddy could be. Outstanding 12 who could be a superb 10.

No disrespect to Paddy, but he had talent that we for some reason never saw, until just before he retired.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Cornerfleg wrote:No offence to Paddy Wallace, but Olding could be what we hoped Paddy could be. Outstanding 12 who could be a superb 10.

No disrespect to Paddy, but he had talent that we for some reason never saw, until just before he retired.
Arguably what Madigan should have been for Leinster as well, if D'Arcy hadn't hung around for his bus pass.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I agree to a point, i just happen to think olding IS the real deal, not jusy good.
Last edited by Cornerfleg on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RugbyFan2014
Novice

Post by RugbyFan2014 »

What I mean is that I'd hate to see him lose some of the skill-set he has shown (his distribution and left-footed kicking game), and 10 could allow him to get an injury-free run of games this season to get some fitness back - although he looks pretty fit already. And physically, No.12 is not an ideal environment to put a young guy in who's coming back from multiple injuries. You have to be a bit less short-sighted/impatient and see what's better in the long-term.

Also I'd hate to see him turn into Madigan - 10/12/15 - and having to move to Bristol/Bordeaux.

Having said that, I can only imagine what an opposition No.12 is thinking when they face the challenge of McCloskey and the next minute Olding comes on, or vice versa. Two vastly different options.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

I don't want to see Olding considered as a back up 10 we need someone else to be that guy. Someone who isn't going to be away on ireland tackle bag duties!!

For me Olding is much more exciting and useful in a position where he has an opportunity to find space and use those dancing feet to beat players. SO appears to have a wonderful appreciation of space and gaps, and also the ability to exploit them. Whether as a 12,13 or 15 I think those skills are better utilised than playing at 10 where he will have less opportunity to make breaks and use his talent.

A 10 is much more of a distributor and bringing other players into the game and while SO can definitely play that role, for me his skills are better utilised elsewhere.

What potential does the young lad McPhilips have? Is he capable physically of stepping up?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
RugbyFan2014
Novice

Post by RugbyFan2014 »

Ok, just a bit of fun, which backline beats the other?

9. Pienaar
10. Jackson
11. Stockdale
12. Olding
13. Cave
14. Bowe
15. Payne

OR

9. Shanahan
10. Nelson
11. Trimble
12. McCloskey
13. Marshall
14. Scholes
15. Gilroy
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Depends what pack is playing in front of them.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:Does nobody think he'd make a cracking 6? :lol:

Of course he'd make a great back up 10.
You starting to realise he should have been 10 last night, that playing the currently appalling and soon to be gone Ian Humphreys there last night was an error of almost catastrophic proportions?

I never like to rub salt in a man's wounds, I just like some acknowledgment of the error of their ways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just hope Paddy is released in time to start against Glasgow & that both Sexton & Quiff are indescribably marvelous tomorrow & more importantly injury free.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There are players for 6 and players who are not . So forgiving the fools .

With those who consider McCloskey is only the makings of a 12 you can't play both McCloskey and Olding at 12 when you have another available in Luke Marshall .

Granted Marshall appears to be a future 13 apres Cave .

Personally I considered Olding made a greater impact last night when playing at 15 than at 12 and in the absence of Paddy I'd play him at 10 but only in Paddys absence .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I thought he could make a good 7 with McCloskey at 6 and Marshall at 8
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Get your best players on the pitch all at once - the BOD philosophy.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.