Contract situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Contract situation

Post by pwrmoore »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Obviously designed for some young guy already at Uni and doing a Sports Degree.. maybe someone on the fringes of the Academy who isn't going to make it.. in saying that I don't how many of those guys are actually doing Sports related courses.

UR use and appreciate their volunteers I recall a friend of mine who had retired being asked to bring some of his experience to help with a development program.. He volunteered and was brought in to run through the program then provided with all the material he would need but asked to shadow for the first one/two visits... 12 months later not a single visit and when he started pushing for an explanation he was told he wouldn't be required and was sorry for his time being wasted.. he still has the program material and indeed was curious whether they had ever gone ahead behind his back or whether he was simply part of a 12 month tick box exercise to bluff the IRFU on...

I know another volunteer who was assigned one event and handed a load of kit.. track tops, bottoms, t-shirts and weatherproof jackets.. so off they went and did a good job, well received and covered all bases.. never been asked back again. they seem happy with volunteers in some roles and not so much in others... but hey they can employ a Spirit Officer..

I on the other hand have studied Sports Psychology at the University of Ulster (much in the same way others have studied law at Manchester)
Spirit Officer?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Responsible for the quality of the hot whiskies served in the bars no doubt! :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Obviously designed for some young guy already at Uni and doing a Sports Degree.. maybe someone on the fringes of the Academy who isn't going to make it.. in saying that I don't how many of those guys are actually doing Sports related courses.

UR use and appreciate their volunteers I recall a friend of mine who had retired being asked to bring some of his experience to help with a development program.. He volunteered and was brought in to run through the program then provided with all the material he would need but asked to shadow for the first one/two visits... 12 months later not a single visit and when he started pushing for an explanation he was told he wouldn't be required and was sorry for his time being wasted.. he still has the program material and indeed was curious whether they had ever gone ahead behind his back or whether he was simply part of a 12 month tick box exercise to bluff the IRFU on...

I know another volunteer who was assigned one event and handed a load of kit.. track tops, bottoms, t-shirts and weatherproof jackets.. so off they went and did a good job, well received and covered all bases.. never been asked back again. they seem happy with volunteers in some roles and not so much in others... but hey they can employ a Spirit Officer..

I on the other hand have studied Sports Psychology at the University of Ulster (much in the same way others have studied law at Manchester)
Spirit Officer?

Yes official job title ....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

Spirit Officer?

Responsible for the quality of the hot whiskies served in the bars no doubt! Image
Needs sacked then as they are woeful
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Just on the case of Spirit Officer and setting the fun title aside... if not mistaken a similar role was also created at both Munster and Leinster both and advertised openly on the IRFU website... but not at Ulster.. some might have a view that this was systematic of UR and its preference for jobs for the boys and indeed girls without the need to advertise them in accordance with if nothing else best practice... so what if the best person for the job comes from Cork or indeed England but if jobs aren't being advertised then it feeds back into the inward looking little province that we are..

I know of at least one other person given a job with UR in which the criteria was structured to ensure that someone with what was an outdated qualification was favoured... even persons with the then current updated qualification were turned down for not having the said old qualification.. this of course also meant that the person getting the job was able to move from their then current job (also interestingly with UR) to this new job.. somewhat convenient because that job had just been terminated due to its funding being stopped by DCAL.... this is not how a professional organisation works.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:Just on the case of Spirit Officer and setting the fun title aside... if not mistaken a similar role was also created at both Munster and Leinster both and advertised openly on the IRFU website... but not at Ulster.. some might have a view that this was systematic of UR and its preference for jobs for the boys and indeed girls without the need to advertise them in accordance with if nothing else best practice... so what if the best person for the job comes from Cork or indeed England but if jobs aren't being advertised then it feeds back into the inward looking little province that we are..

I know of at least one other person given a job with UR in which the criteria was structured to ensure that someone with what was an outdated qualification was favoured... even persons with the then current updated qualification were turned down for not having the said old qualification.. this of course also meant that the person getting the job was able to move from their then current job (also interestingly with UR) to this new job.. somewhat convenient because that job had just been terminated due to its funding being stopped by DCAL.... this is not how a professional organisation works.
Yes it is.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cockatrice wrote:Just on the case of Spirit Officer and setting the fun title aside... if not mistaken a similar role was also created at both Munster and Leinster both and advertised openly on the IRFU website... but not at Ulster.. some might have a view that this was systematic of UR and its preference for jobs for the boys and indeed girls without the need to advertise them in accordance with if nothing else best practice... so what if the best person for the job comes from Cork or indeed England but if jobs aren't being advertised then it feeds back into the inward looking little province that we are..

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-right ... employment

If someone was being made redundant and UR had a role for which they were suitable and qualified they would be obliged to try to redeploy them there or else face a possible suit for unfair dismissal.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

pwrmoore wrote:

If someone was being made redundant and UR had a role for which they were suitable and qualified they would be obliged to try to redeploy them there or else face a possible suit for unfair dismissal.
Does that work for DCAL funded jobs as well... So if offered a DCAL funded position with UR on say a 12 month contract are you saying that on expiry of said funding that UR then have an obligation to find me another job within the organisation?

Elsewhere I know they had a few employment cases settled..

As for the new IRFU position of Spirit Officer I must therefore assume that neither Leinster or Munster had anyone that they felt obligation to re-house in an other job to avoid being taken to task..
MCBwinwinwin
Initiate

Post by MCBwinwinwin »

UR13IRFU wrote:I recall this happening years ago, guy worked for free with them for 2 years then when a job came up, he got overlooked. Needless to say he’s doing very well for himself as one of Leinsters top S&C coaches
If that's the guy I'm thinking of he is now at Gloucester. One of those years was a uni placement and the other was one night a week in his last year of uni. If he hadn't got that experience he wouldn't have got a look in at Leinster.

He also took the opportunity to turn himself in to a beast and beat Ferris in a bench press competition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

MCBwinwinwin wrote:
UR13IRFU wrote:I recall this happening years ago, guy worked for free with them for 2 years then when a job came up, he got overlooked. Needless to say he’s doing very well for himself as one of Leinsters top S&C coaches
If that's the guy I'm thinking of he is now at Gloucester. One of those years was a uni placement and the other was one night a week in his last year of uni. If he hadn't got that experience he wouldn't have got a look in at Leinster.

He also took the opportunity to turn himself in to a beast and beat Ferris in a bench press competition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should still have been paid for the work he did

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I wonder for balance, do Ulster have a non-Spirit Officer to help the atheists in the squad. If not its very clear Ashers-like discrimination, I'll be onto the Equalities Commission in the morning unless UR can give a job description for the Spirit officer that says he (well I say he, it's hardly a woman in the scenario where UR is "jobs for the boys") is simply in charge of the bar order.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I wonder for balance, do Ulster have a non-Spirit Officer to help the atheists in the squad. If not its very clear Ashers-like discrimination, I'll be onto the Equalities Commission in the morning unless UR can give a job description for the Spirit officer that says he (well I say he, it's hardly a woman in the scenario where UR is "jobs for the boys") is simply in charge of the bar order.
Good point. I believe they do have a Chaplain. Surely, there is a duty of care provide some humanist pastoral support. Maybe Ruckie and the lads could mull that one over?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

A selfish geneist. Great idea. Go be the fittest and survive... Trample on anything below you... Propogate your genes shag everything before you.

Hey wait a minute... Maybe we have one already....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

maybe too much love thy neighbour softly softly going on rather that knocking seven bells of Shiite out of them on the pitch.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

Does that work for DCAL funded jobs as well... So if offered a DCAL funded position with UR on say a 12 month contract are you saying that on expiry of said funding that UR then have an obligation to find me another job within the organisation?

Elsewhere I know they had a few employment cases settled..

As for the new IRFU position of Spirit Officer I must therefore assume that neither Leinster or Munster had anyone that they felt obligation to re-house in an other job to avoid being taken to task..
The source of the funding is neither there nor there. UR cannot make a person redundant and then instantly create a new post for which that person would have been suitable. I believe constructive dismissal is the term.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

TopPoster wrote:maybe too much love thy neighbour softly softly going on rather that knocking seven bells of Shiite out of them on the pitch.
His eminence, the right reverend Cardinal Ah You.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"