UAFC Ask the Opposition - Zebre ANSWERS P2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Where should results of completed Ask the Oppos be displayed?

As a front page "News" item
31%
Grouped in a Sticky on the forum
34%
Keep them in the thread with a page link
34%

Total votes: 29

MattMo
Initiate

Re: UAFC Ask the Opposition - Zebre (inc Poll)

Post by MattMo »

Zebre at home and Zebre away are more like French teams in their change of form, is it just the change in climate, the larger distance that has to be travelled, or is it mentally that the barrier is there to competing away as at home?
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Is it difficult to get the smell of pish out of a taxi?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

In Ireland we are used to federal assistance with running our team, but can find it frustrating when we have federal interference particularly when we play those teams with a more independent structure. Does Zebre have an advantage over Treviso or does the interference reduce that advantage. Will the federalisation of the Veneto team make Zebre more or less competitive in an Italian context?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Jesus - I hope Loki isn't relying on Google translate!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Cornerfleg wrote:In answer to your question Loki - could there be a link to this feature on the Home page during the build up to that particular match. Comes down say Sunday and next one goes up????
think this is a cracking idea Fleg. I'm banjaxed from work at the moment but I'll definitely look into how to do it!

@BR - I know. Between this and last week's physics GCSE in the Blues thread I feel like I'm back in 5th year. :lol:
Last edited by Loki on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Russ wrote:I like Zebre. Do they like me back?
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Re: UAFC Ask the Opposition - Zebre

Post by Loki »

ASK THE OPPOSITION - ZEBRE
a bear-hug for our Italian buddies
I completely underestimated the difficulty in accessing supporters in another country and language this weekend...however, I'm delighted to say that Italian journalist, rugby aficionado and all-round gentleman Duccio Fumero - author of Rugby 1823 - was able to step in and save the day. Huge thanks and a well deserved "Duccio! Duccio! Ducciooooo!" a la Hook to the big man.

Let's kick off...
  • What's your opinion of Ulster? What do you associate with the club and it's fans?
Duccio Fumero: Looking at the Celtic teams more from a journalistic point of view I appreciate very much Ulster, both as a team and as the fans. Last year I think that Ulster deserved more, both in the Pro 12 and in the HEC, but this year I'm not so sure they can make it to the final. When I saw them in Treviso I had a great impression of the Ulster fans, hope to see them soon again.
  • Do you think having two teams in the Pro12 has benefited Italian rugby? What would you do next to help improve the national and professional club teams?
DF: Italian rugby has benefited initially with two teams in the Pro12, having many national players playing weekly internationally. But the two teams have brought the Italian Championship to a lower level and in these years the work between Treviso/Zebre and the Italian clubs didn't work well. To change all this, the Italian Union should on the one side improve the programming of the professional teams, but on the other try to increase the domestic level.
  • How has the replacement of Aironi by Zebre been viewed by both sets of fans?
DF: Zebre fans didn't exist before the creation of the team and they have [had] difficulties in growing in the Parma area. Aironi fans were very upset by the replacement, growing their rage against the Italian union.
  • How much media interest has the Pro12 and HEC in Italy?
DF:The media interest in Italy is, sadly, very low. Local press talks about the Pro 12 and HEC, but at a national level there is very little interest. [...] As [has been] said, the tv coverage doesn't exist till now this season. In the last season there were about 2 matches shown, mostly those of the Italian teams, but also some matches with other teams. Personally I love Irish rugby, so watching Ulster, Leinster or Munster is the best.
  • Can Zebre finish this season as the top Italian side? What is the rivalry like between Zebre and Treviso?
DF: [Certainly] Treviso's problems could help Zebre to finish in front of Benetton, but the rivalry is not so big, [given] Treviso are an old, famous, team, whilst Zebre are just two years old. [...] Since now [Zebre's] improvements aren't visible [compared to previous years], so we have to expect another improvement, but the indicators are telling the opposite.
  • Zebre surprised me at Ravenhill this year in that they had quite a number of big, athletic guys right across the team, and that's supported with some quality in there too. Will Zebre be able to take any 'big' scalps in Italy this year, and who would they fancy beating most?
DF: The first matches of the Zebre were not as good as the team hoped, so now thinking of big scalps is difficult, but not impossible. Looking at the other teams, big names who could lose in Parma could be Scarlets, but also Glasgow.
  • How do the Zebre fans feel about the need to bring in 'experienced foreigners' to be competitive whilst also trying to develop young players? Have Zebre got the balance right?
DF: The problem between foreigners and young Italians is one of the big issues in Italian rugby. The problem is: are experienced foreigners also good players, better than Italians? Looking at Zebre, a Brendan Leonard can make the difference, but not many others.
  • How do you see the future of Rugby in Italy - are things looking bright in terms of the sport as a whole in the context of wider Italian society? Given the decline of Italian football over the last decade or more, do you think Italian rugby has benefited?
DF: Rugby in Italy is growing fast, thanks to the decline of Italian football but not alone. The problem is that the FIR, the Italian Union, isn't working well and the chances of growing even more are getting less and less. [...] [The lack of a TV deal] with the media interest, is the big problem of rugby in Italy. Apart from the Azzurri, rugby hasn't much space in tv and newspapers. Having no tv coverage means that the Pro 12 doesn't help at all grass roots level or schools.
[..]
Zebre tie in with the local clubs, but there isn't a structure like in Ireland, so the local clubs are something very different from Zebre. There isn't a real job done to tighten the clubs to Zebre.

• Does Italian rugby deserve a European slot by right?
DF: Looking at the onfield results, no. But I don't think that anyone, inside and outside Italy, wants to have the Italian teams outside the HEC.
  • What do you think about the utter collapse in Treviso's form between 2012/13 and 2013/14? Does this relate, in anyway, to the fallout of the formation of Zebre and the closure of Aironi? Is there a cautionary tale for Zebre in viewing what has happened at Treviso who, until last season, had seemed to be on an upward trajectory?
DF: The problems in Treviso are quite a lot. The last year started with Franco Smith saying he wouldn't remain at the end of the year. The team worked badly before starting the season and this didn't help. Then there has been the problem of not knowing if Italy would participate in the Pro 12 or not. So the collapse of Treviso was quite obvious, and also this year the team won't have many chances of [enjoying] a good tournament.
  • One of the more fanciful ideas floated during the recent round of European rugby crisis was the abolition of the Pro12 and the redistribution of the teams into: a British & Irish league, and; an expanded French Top14 which would include 2 Italian teams. What would you think of that?
DF: It was an interesting idea, mostly from a geographical point of view. But I don't think that the Premiership or the Top 14 should be changed, so the actual situation is the best for European rugby.
  • With Treviso losing all their better players to other teams, Zebre look well placed to finish above them. Which other teams do they feel they can finish above?
DF: Before the beginning of the season one would have said Newport [Gwent Dragons] and Connacht, but now I think that Zebre, Treviso and [Dragons] will play till the end for not finishing last.

• Irish rugby can have federal interference particularly when we play those teams with a more independent structure. Does Zebre have an advantage over Treviso or does the interference reduce that advantage.Will the federalisation of the Veneto team make Zebre more or less competitive in an Italian context?
DF: Federal interference inside the Zebre is complete, [as the team are entirely] a federation team. Benetton suffered not being federal, but now things haven't change in a better way, with Treviso being more tightened to the FIR but, as I said before, without having a real programme for the future. Zebre can [therefore] become more competitive in the Italian context.

Again - massive thanks for all the questions, and a huge SUFTUM to Duccio for taking the time to give his thoughts - hopefully we'll hear a bit more from him throughout the season! :red:

LAST BUT NOT LEAST....Paolo Facelli, of the Torino Zebre Supporter's Club, will be answering questions post-game v Zebre - anything you want to ask after full time, fire away!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: UAFC Ask the Opposition - Zebre ANSWERS P2

Post by Russ »

So do Zebre like me back or not?
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

Well done once again Loki. It was very good of Duccio to contribute. If he ever makes it to Ravenhill I'll buy him a pint of the black stuff.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The results of the auld poll are as clear as mud :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

aye I know Merv! that's democracy for you.

we still have the offer from Paolo Facelli for a post-game q'n'a if anyone's interested; the place seems to be traumatised, mind.

@davejohnston - :thumleft: i reckon he'd take you up on it! :stout:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Loki wrote:aye I know Merv! that's democracy for you.

we still have the offer from Paolo Facelli for a post-game q'n'a if anyone's interested; the place seems to be traumatised, mind.

@davejohnston - :thumleft: i reckon he'd take you up on it! :stout:
The Guinness in Parma was better than the stuff they serve at Kingspan, proper pouring as well not just poured like a pint of lager/cider
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best