UAFC Ask the Opposition - Cardiff Blues - ANSWERS P4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

MattMo
Initiate

UAFC Ask the Opposition - Cardiff Blues v Ulster

Post by MattMo »

I tend to find Cardiff and Dragons were the main driving teams for the break off into the premiership. They haven't been going as well as expected, and Irish teams have humiliated both of them repeatedly recently. It is possible that a new start would be a good thing for them both!

On the other hand, Cardiff almost have that this year, new coach, lots of signing. I hope they are competitive in the Pro12, they showed they have some talent when they gel in Europe last year.
Sadly though, the downturn of not getting their break away may not be on our side when it comes to civility of the fans. Best thing for them is to compete properly in the league, if we had 12 european class teams, this league would be incredible, but we have 5 (Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Ospreys and Glasgow) with another 2 (Scarlets, Cardiff) pushing for it. On the other hand, they seem to think the PRL has 14, with 2 in the championship. Sadly it only actually has 3(Saracens, Northampton, Leicester), with 2 (Harlequins and Bath) pushing for it. France have 3(Clermont, Toulon, Racing) with 2 (Castres - no this year, Montpellier) pushing as well.

The best way to bridge this gap this year, and if any Cardiff fans are reading, it would be to show up, an both compete every week. There will be a difference at the end of this year, as there was a small shift with the Scarlets, Edinburgh, Connacht race for Europe at the end of last year. Teams such as Cardiff - who are more likely to be top 6 this year - who struggled previously will actually be able to promote their teams games at the end of the year as being important matches.

No reason to be surprised at the resentment faced by the Welsh, we've had it easy as fans compared to their relative wasteland of excitement recently.

MattMo
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: UAFC Ask the Opposition - Cardiff Blues v Ulster

Post by Setanta »

Unfortunately this new competition is only a stop-gap position for many. The aim of a British League and stuff the Italians is still alive and well, and merely shelved for four years. Two leagues of ten or twelve teams with promotion and relegation is still the aim. The unions were not expected to capitulate so quickly. The lack of interest in anything but the financial benefits for the professional clubs still reigns supreme and reinforces the importance of Union control in protecting the amateur game and spreading the sport.
The new competition was never really meant to take place so quickly, the organisation does not exist and HEC personnel are filling the gap, the third level has not even been considered - does not add to the bottom line! This war is not over.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

Setanta wrote:Unfortunately this new competition is only a stop-gap position for many. The aim of a British League and stuff the Italians is still alive and well, and merely shelved for four years. Two leagues of ten or twelve teams with promotion and relegation is still the aim. The unions were not expected to capitulate so quickly. The lack of interest in anything but the financial benefits for the professional clubs still reigns supreme and reinforces the importance of Union control in protecting the amateur game and spreading the sport.
The new competition was never really meant to take place so quickly, the organisation does not exist and HEC personnel are filling the gap, the third level has not even been considered - does not add to the bottom line! This war is not over.
All true, have you seen the web site... That is singular, as it is one page, which has the fixture list. The competition is a sham currently, and the RFU are to blame for that.

Anyway, just read the Cardiff Blues forum replies, and am whole hearted reverting my previous statements. I hope they get destroyed tomorrow night, humiliated to the worst. I hope it continues to happen until they understand that to complain about the quality of a league, you cannot be the drivel that fills the bottom of the table.

If they think that things would change in England, let them leave. I don't enjoy watching the Welsh matches because of a lack of competition from them. They have beaten us regularly, but in very questionable circumstances, each time, but we have happily humiliated them and their "international stars" at ravenhill.
I have no sympathy for a team that thinks they are too good for a league that they are being routinely a bottom half side in.

MattMo
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

PRL have usually 6 reasonable teams with 3 fighting for top the other 3 teams in contention for the top 6 vary about every 2 to 3 years depending on the squad mix .

Cardiff have the problem of being seen and thought of as an Old established Welsh top 4 which consisted of Cardiff Swansea and the Scarlets and another, poaching players from the valley clubs with training expenses and jobs for the boys ""to avoid the mines see the coal dust wasn't good for the lungs boyoo""

Thereby they had many players who played for Wales and success in the Welsh league.

No welsh league now. No friendlies with the English amateur club sides. No success. No glory. And it all because of the Irish and the Celtic league they existed too long in a fools paradise of big fish in small pond .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:PRL have usually 6 reasonable teams with 3 fighting for top the other 3 teams in contention for the top 6 vary about every 2 to 3 years depending on the squad mix .

Cardiff have the problem of being seen and thought of as an Old established Welsh top 4 which consisted of Cardiff Swansea and the Scarlets and another, poaching players from the valley clubs with training expenses and jobs for the boys ""to avoid the mines see the coal dust wasn't good for the lungs boyoo""

Thereby they had many players who played for Wales and success in the Welsh league.

No welsh league now.
No friendlies with the English amateur club sides. No success. No glory. And it all because of the Irish and the Celtic league they existed too long in a fools paradise of big fish in small pond .
>bs

This ring any bells Rum'n - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 777221.stm

FFS Rum'n stop making sh1t up. :duh:

Where do yo think all that talent comes from?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Hooker
Novice

Post by Hooker »

MattMo wrote:I tend to find Cardiff and Dragons were the main driving teams for the break off into the premiership. They haven't been going as well as expected, and Irish teams have humiliated both of them repeatedly recently. It is possible that a new start would be a good thing for them both!

On the other hand, Cardiff almost have that this year, new coach, lots of signing. I hope they are competitive in the Pro12, they showed they have some talent when they gel in Europe last year.
Sadly though, the downturn of not getting their break away may not be on our side when it comes to civility of the fans. Best thing for them is to compete properly in the league, if we had 12 european class teams, this league would be incredible, but we have 5 (Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Ospreys and Glasgow) with another 2 (Scarlets, Cardiff) pushing for it. On the other hand, they seem to think the PRL has 14, with 2 in the championship. Sadly it only actually has 3(Saracens, Northampton, Leicester), with 2 (Harlequins and Bath) pushing for it. France have 3(Clermont, Toulon, Racing) with 2 (Castres - no this year, Montpellier) pushing as well.

The best way to bridge this gap this year, and if any Cardiff fans are reading, it would be to show up, an both compete every week. There will be a difference at the end of this year, as there was a small shift with the Scarlets, Edinburgh, Connacht race for Europe at the end of last year. Teams such as Cardiff - who are more likely to be top 6 this year - who struggled previously will actually be able to promote their teams games at the end of the year as being important matches.

No reason to be surprised at the resentment faced by the Welsh, we've had it easy as fans compared to their relative wasteland of excitement recently.

MattMo
Isn't there a team from Haute Garonne which has done moderately well in European competition?

As for your penultimate paragraph, all of the Pro12 clubs will have to turn up and compete every week if you want to qualify, which certainly wasn't the case with the HC as PRL clubs have longtime said, and as you belatedly recognised.
peanut
Novice

Post by peanut »

I've just read through their responses. First impression was - what a bunch of whingeing, English-wannabe nobodies who have thrown their toys out of the pram with respect to the super duper pro12 because their team is utter dustmite and the answer (as it always is for their stockholm syndrome suffering, under the thumb, west english barsteward countrymen) is to join forces with the strong-jawed lovely lovely men from england.

But on the other hand, 90% of the questions are cigarette-paper-thin-ly veiled attacks on Wales, the Welsh and Cardiff. Which, actually, is fair enough.

I've lost my place. What was my point?
look, but never touch...
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Setanta wrote:Unfortunately this new competition is only a stop-gap position for many. The aim of a British League and stuff the Italians is still alive and well, and merely shelved for four years. Two leagues of ten or twelve teams with promotion and relegation is still the aim. The unions were not expected to capitulate so quickly. The lack of interest in anything but the financial benefits for the professional clubs still reigns supreme and reinforces the importance of Union control in protecting the amateur game and spreading the sport.
fermain wrote:
Arrogance? or don't give a brad pitt.... :stir:
Average player anyway, wouldn't swap Chad, Robbie or Nick for him
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Cardiff Ulster face don't play in welsh premiership which is what it always was semi -pro
And if you think I didn't know there is a Club league called the Welsh premiership you should pick your nose instead of y. Holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

Gota say a bit disappointed in the Blues responses. The Scarlets provided some good answers and a bit of banter with only a few wayward posts. Strange that the blues fans on the board are so cynical, but maybe then I find that's the nature of keyboard warriors. I don't think I've met an opposition fan at a match that hasn't been dead on.
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

davejohnston wrote:Gota say a bit disappointed in the Blues responses. The Scarlets provided some good answers and a bit of banter with only a few wayward posts. Strange that the blues fans on the board are so cynical, but maybe then I find that's the nature of keyboard warriors. I don't think I've met an opposition fan at a match that hasn't been dead on.
I think it spawns from the fact that Scarlets aren't struggling, therefore they aren't fooling themselves into thinking they are too good for a competition. The logic on the other board is that this league isn't competitive... and that's why they are a constant fixture of the bottom half of the table. >crazy1 hopefully at some stage they will realise that they would get relegated instantly in the premiership.

Also the only way to keep the players is to pay them enough, and the premiership won't bring bigger crowds, it already struggles with that with it's own teams
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Cardiff were a big club in the days before the Pro game having won the Welsh league more often than any one else. and having feeder clubs from the Cardiff and District rugby Union.

what you have now is a more level playing field in Welsh rugby with Pro players in four Teams with a decrease in the ego of the Cardiff rugby supporter.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

disappointed by their attitude, given the questions were a genuine attempt to illicit some sort of banter and rapport. Fair play, majority of Scarlets fans took it that way, and I'm sure Hairsprays, other Provinces and the Jocks will do likewise. Pity Cardiff fans are so Po faced, paranoid and stuck up their own, and PRL's Arris's like lovelorn bunny boilers.

Wouldn't bother with them in future tbh. Ergo, F*ck em if they can't take a joke.

Apparently we're the most disliked Irish province.. Aw well, No one loves us, we don't care :shock:

Fair play Loki for trying tho.. Be a good one for Tiggers and Toulon fans, and probably annoy one Ulster hating one in particular... >EW
Exterminate all rational thought
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

It is interesting to hear what the opinion of people outside of Ulster rugby think of us.
The general consensus seems to be that with the loss of our players, coach and DOR it will have a negative impact.
I think that suits us quite fine if they do think that as we love playing the underdogs as most sides do.
Hopefully Cardiff are in for a shock then.