Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deckard
Novice

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Deckard »

BuckRogers wrote:Lot of thinking, little knowing.

Is Jackson living on thin air to train all week with the seniors? McCall was on a development contract this season just past and if Simpson didn't get a development deal last season (he was meant to) he will be on one for the incoming season.
Jackson has never been mentioned in any official squad list, either full or academy. If he's training with the seniors, he may turn up on a development contract next season, or some kind of late-entry academy deal.

Kyle McCall went into the academy in the '10-'11 season, and was still listed as being on an academy contract last season - if he's still in the academy this season, it would actually be year 5 for him. I suppose his stay may be extended because of his positional change, if that's for definite - or he may be bumped to a development contract this season. He is still only 22, so a babe for a front row.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Deckard wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:I thought somebody had to play for ulster before getting 'an in fairness to'?

I have nothing against Trenier but the idea of signing up Leinster players at the expense of our own, especially when the local is at the very least a similar level, doesn't sit overly well with me personally.
in fairness to you, that's a good point! :lol: I was very impressed by Taylor last year as well, and find it a bit surprising that he seems to have gone off the radar - where has he been playing his club rugby? That said, I don't have a big problem with casting the net wide for talent - we have definitely had a problem over the last couple of years getting guys up to the right level, fixing that will likely take another year or two, in the meantime I think we need to play smart..
Is Taylor not going to America/Canada ?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Taylor played for Ballynahinch last season, heard he is off as Ulster refused to offer him an academy contract
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

One of the players that folk will be surprised about this year is Sam Arnold. He has not been in lots of newspapers as he has been injured for most of this year, but he is a very exciting young talent who has played for Harlequins first team in their JP Morgans 7's competition. i think he is here to join our academy.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Sub-Academy as far as i know.. similar to Dow and Taggart this year..

he is centre though and Ulster have so many of them not sure how much of an impact he will make..

Stockdale and Owens are more exciting/talented players..
Last edited by Bayern on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

still hopeful Russell Blair after a season healthy can push into the academy in the future.. still only 20 but missed most of last season with a leg break.. fingers crossed
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Setanta wrote: added to some exiles joining Ulster or who are already here:
Fullback/Wing: David Busby
Portadown College, no?
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Nightsoil wrote:
Setanta wrote: added to some exiles joining Ulster or who are already here:
Fullback/Wing: David Busby
Portadown College, no?
yes
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

and Queens.........
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Anyone read the "intouch" article about the number of players in the ulster academy or lack of them with reference to the other provinces?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

drumbo diehard wrote:Anyone read the "intouch" article about the number of players in the ulster academy or lack of them with reference to the other provinces?
Drumbo,, if yer gonna tease us at least post a link :thumleft:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

http://www.intouchrugby.com/magazine/ul ... omparison/

I think that Drumbo means this one......
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Sam Arnold could be a very astute signing ahead of the other provinces, highlights of him here from a season ago-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTDf-OcHdU

I believe Conor Joyce's younger brother is moving over as well. Piers Browning an exile winger is over for the 20's inter pro's unsure if he is staying. Kyle McCall is on a full contract next year as 3rd choice hooker.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

RuPi wrote:Sam Arnold could be a very astute signing ahead of the other provinces, highlights of him here from a season ago-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTDf-OcHdU

I believe Conor Joyce's younger brother is moving over as well. Piers Browning an exile winger is over for the 20's inter pro's unsure if he is staying. Kyle McCall is on a full contract next year as 3rd choice hooker.
Bit arsey making your own video of how great you are.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Bit arsey and cocky for sure but loads of lads do it, he is a good player though, a very good player.