Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bayern
Steward

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern »

Not uncommon for young english lads to do it, especially if they aren't taken on by a top tier club early on in their career..
Good move to see if he is good enough over here but hopefully not at the cost of young talented Ulster lads.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Numbers of players at school level is a rather meaningless figure unless they develop the proper skill sets for their ability to play within the potential best fit position

By that I mean some school boys are slotted in to positions at school which best suit the needs of the school XV to perform in the schools cup when the move from that environment they are short of all the necessary skills to proceed into a professional or even club level with little awareness of the space team mates positioning to meet different threats and the effectiveness of timing .

Some are best learnt watching rather than playing some when playing 15 aside and some when playing 7s

I watch some of the games at half time and worry yes the kids love it but the truth is it's not rugby because it is at most a two pass run about with recycle on the tackle no awareness of space no body passing trying to find players in space or create space . Just lift the ball and try run round or over the opposition that type of coaching doesn't produce rugby players fun fitness yes future professional players with skill no way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Numbers of players at school level is a rather meaningless figure unless they develop the proper skill sets for their ability to play within the potential best fit position

By that I mean some school boys are slotted in to positions at school which best suit the needs of the school XV to perform in the schools cup when the move from that environment they are short of all the necessary skills to proceed into a professional or even club level with little awareness of the space team mates positioning to meet different threats and the effectiveness of timing .

Some are best learnt watching rather than playing some when playing 15 aside and some when playing 7s

I watch some of the games at half time and worry yes the kids love it but the truth is it's not rugby because it is at most a two pass run about with recycle on the tackle no awareness of space no body passing trying to find players in space or create space . Just lift the ball and try run round or over the opposition that type of coaching doesn't produce rugby players fun fitness yes future professional players with skill no way

I suggest a school wide Haka

Jan in
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rumn'

I wish you'd realise that there is more to the art of punctuation than throwing in an occasional, random full stop. I'm pretty sure you have some good things to say, but until you learn how to make them intelligible (by the use of some decent punctuation), I suspect that most of us are going to give up on your posts before we reach the second paragraph. I know I do.

Any chance? Please?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Kofi Annan wrote:
RuPi wrote:Sam Arnold could be a very astute signing ahead of the other provinces, highlights of him here from a season ago-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTDf-OcHdU

I believe Conor Joyce's younger brother is moving over as well. Piers Browning an exile winger is over for the 20's inter pro's unsure if he is staying. Kyle McCall is on a full contract next year as 3rd choice hooker.
Bit arsey making your own video of how great you are.
Could get a bit deeper in those squats, JD/Drakey will have a field day.

jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

BuckRogers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
RuPi wrote:Sam Arnold could be a very astute signing ahead of the other provinces, highlights of him here from a season ago-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTDf-OcHdU

I believe Conor Joyce's younger brother is moving over as well. Piers Browning an exile winger is over for the 20's inter pro's unsure if he is staying. Kyle McCall is on a full contract next year as 3rd choice hooker.
Bit arsey making your own video of how great you are.
Could get a bit deeper in those squats, JD/Drakey will have a field day.

I noticed that too. I went through a weight's fad many years ago at Baxter's gym but I also to used the Queen's P.E. centre every afternoon as I lived in Stranmillis at the time. One afternoon I was doing squats when a guy who was then a current a G.B. sprinter and long jumper came in to do some work. He saw me doing it and suggested that in order to protect the Achilles I should use a small block of wood under the heels. Maybe it was something that athletes did and as a sprinter I was happy to try it out. It did make it easier to get deep squats. I don't know if it's a good idea but it worked for me.

Credit the you guy when he went for the second lift on the bench. He toughed it out and got it even though he was really struggling. Many young guys would have got the spotter to take it.

It was interesting to see he bills himself as a 9, 10 and 13. He looks a decent player but if you saw a highlights reel of Michael Allen at schools level you'd think he was a cert for Ireland.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

So Leinster announced their academy this week, ulster are last again.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Seen this elsewhere:

Andrew Warwick, Rory Scholes, Stuart McCloskey, Conor Joyce and James Simpson have been promoted from the Ulster Academy, That info is based on them having profiles created for the 1st team squad on the Ulster website.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster could be slower announcing the Academy because players are waiting exam results and have yet to decide on which university to go to .

Ulster would have more students going to England and Scotland than the other provinces combined
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Rumoured Academy members:

Craig Trenier, Prop
John Andrews, Hooker
Jonny Murphy, Hooker
Kyle McCall, Hooker
Alan O'Connor, Lock
John Donnan, Lock
Alex Thompson, Lock
Frankie Taggart, Backrow
Lorcan Dow, Backrow
Josh Atkinson, Backrow
Dave Shanahan, Scrumhalf
Sean O'Hagan, Outhalf
Jacob Stockdale, Centre/Wing
Jack Owens, Centre/Wing
David Busby, Fullback
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Thats seems about right, no Michael Lagan though which is odd
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

If that list is correct, then this is when they joined the academy.

Kyle McCall, Hooker 10/11
Jonny Murphy, Hooker 11/12
Alan O'Connor, Lock 12/13
John Andrews, Hooker 13/14
John Donnan, Lock 13/14
Dave Shanahan, Scrumhalf 13/14
Craig Trenier, Prop 14/15
Alex Thompson, Lock 14/15
Frankie Taggart, Backrow 14/15
Lorcan Dow, Backrow 14/15
Josh Atkinson, Backrow 14/15
Sean O'Hagan, Outhalf 14/15
Jacob Stockdale, Centre/Wing 14/15
Jack Owens, Centre/Wing 14/15
David Busby, Fullback 14/15

I assume Kyle McCall has been there so long because he changed positions.

Of last year's academy, the following are listed on the senior team website so I think have development deals:
Conor Joyce
Stuart McCluskey
James Simpson
Rory Scholes
Andrew Warwick

That leaves Jake Caulfield unaccounted from last year - has he been let go?
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

breakdown wrote:Thats seems about right, no Michael Lagan though which is odd

Michael Lagan is in there. So is Sam Arnold (who played for our 20's on Friday)

That list is just guess work, but as you say probably not far off the mark.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

mikerob wrote:If that list is correct, then this is when they joined the academy.

Kyle McCall, Hooker 10/11
Jonny Murphy, Hooker 11/12
Alan O'Connor, Lock 12/13
John Andrews, Hooker 13/14
John Donnan, Lock 13/14
Dave Shanahan, Scrumhalf 13/14
Craig Trenier, Prop 14/15
Alex Thompson, Lock 14/15
Frankie Taggart, Backrow 14/15
Lorcan Dow, Backrow 14/15
Josh Atkinson, Backrow 14/15
Sean O'Hagan, Outhalf 14/15
Jacob Stockdale, Centre/Wing 14/15
Jack Owens, Centre/Wing 14/15
David Busby, Fullback 14/15

I assume Kyle McCall has been there so long because he changed positions.

Of last year's academy, the following are listed on the senior team website so I think have development deals:
Conor Joyce
Stuart McCluskey
James Simpson
Rory Scholes
Andrew Warwick

That leaves Jake Caulfield unaccounted from last year - has he been let go?
Caulfield away a long time ago.

I had heard that Kyle McCall had got a development contract but maybe not ?

Had also heard that Conor Joyce's younger brother . Kieran, would be joining the Ulster setup at some level; Academy or sub Acadmey.

Ross Adair ??

Paddy Jackson's older brother Paul seemed to be making great strides last season and was being tipped for a place the Academy or a Dev Contract. Any news on that front ?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

McCall isn't listed as part of the senior squad on ur.com so I assumed he hasn't got a dev. contract.