Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:We must have assurances that we are getting Cooney back if JS is with the u20s. Good to see an all Ulster centre pairing.
Cooney back. Marshall bench.

The backs are

Cooney
Nelson
AAT (still possible doubt)
Stu
Marshall
Bowe
Ludik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:We must have assurances that we are getting Cooney back if JS is with the u20s. Good to see an all Ulster centre pairing.
Cooney back. Marshall bench.

The backs are

Cooney
Nelson
AAT (still possible doubt)
Stu
Marshall
Bowe
Ludik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously playing Bowe after last week's effort or lack of effort, we must really be down to the dregs of the system.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Rooster wrote:Seriously playing Bowe after last week's effort or lack of effort, we must really be down to the dregs of the system.
Getting him up to speed for next year lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Deraless wrote:
Rooster wrote:Seriously playing Bowe after last week's effort or lack of effort, we must really be down to the dregs of the system.

Got to keep him fit for the beach holidays
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm going to have to watch it again, but I didn't think Bowe played that badly last week.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I thought he looked slow. Every time he had the ball he was passing as soon as was humanly possible. Irrespective of anything else.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Deraless wrote:I thought he looked slow. Every time he had the ball he was passing as soon as was humanly possible. Irrespective of anything else.

Plus he got totally burned for their first try even with a good 5m start, and his tap back in then no speed to gather it before he gave away another 15m at the end was just diabolical.
It looks like there is a severe blockage somewhere between his brain saying run and his legs actually taking up the challenge, he almost looks scared to run, turn quickly or make contact.
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He was catastrophically shyte.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:He was catastrophically shyte.
More concise than me or Deraless :thumleft:
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:I'm going to have to watch it again, but I didn't think Bowe played that badly last week.
Allow me to give you just a few highlights:

- When M'Phillips passed directly into touch he had every right to expect Tommy to be running with him, Tommy was firmly on his heels.

- Embra's 1st try, Tommy was skinned and almost fell over his own feet when he could reasonably have been expected to have contested the ball.

- the late clusterballix

In addition to those highlights, I thought he was extremely lethargic, entirely off the pace and made not a single positive contribution unless someone can point out something I missed. :shock:

I'll be interested in what you think when you've watched it again.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Tommy is done. End of...
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

McPhillips' pass to touch - 50/50 blame on that one for me.

Ed try he was calling for cover as he was trying to cover the wing, when their 10 runs through our 9 and 10 from the scrum and is eventually brought down with the assistance of our 12. Our fat lads then run back right behind the tackle to the open side allowing Smyth Klein Beechams to pick up and dart down the considerable blindside. So Bowe has to come in off his wing (at this stage I have counted 5 players who should have done more to stop this). He is now chasing back, covering a 3 on 1. He pushes SKB in-field where our 15 is coming from the far wing. Forcing the grubber. Bowe then has to chase the ball back out to the wing in attempt to get there before their 14 (he is gaining on him all the way).

As for trying to stop that last penalty going into touch. Of course he should have done that. OK he could have been quicker to react after he was successful, but in reality I think it was up to the supporting player to do the tidying up. Had it worked out as it would 9 times out of 10 - he was a hero.

I can't argue that he lacks pace, but he still has it upstairs.

As an example and to give you a positive : Just prior to Ludik conceding that penalty - what should we have been doing? 2 points up, dying minutes, on their 22? I'm sure you, like me, were mouthing, "Munster!" But our fat boys would have fcked that up, so we pass out TB on the wing, who repeatedly cuts back inside, into the traffic and takes the ball to ground for recycling. That's not what wingers do, but when your pack is incapable of sustaining territory and possession, then you should be glad to have a player like Bowe to do it for them.

All put together, not a brilliant performance, and certainly not vintage Bowe, but better than any of the pack and on par with the other 3/4s (NHL commitment was stand-out, but not his technique)

*Shirt numbers used to describe where the player was standing rather than the actual number in their back.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote:

Are Getaways sending him to Pamplona?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think physically he seems in decent enough nick but his rugby brain has gone.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Re his spectacular finale last week, he didn't need to flick the ball back in he just needed to stand in play and catch the darn thing.