Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Kofi Annan »

Liberty Academy???
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

mikerob wrote:So based upon the list of players in the program, the list of players in the academy and the season they entered the academy are:

Jonny Murphy (11/12)
Alan O'Connor (12/13) Malone
John Andrew (13/14) Ballymena
John Donnan (13/14) Ballynahinch
David Shanahan (13/14) Ballymena
Sam Arnold (14/15) Ballynahinch
Josh Atkinson (14/15) Instonians
David Busby (14/15) Queens
Lorcan Dow (14/15) Queens
Paul Jackson (14/15) Malone
Michael Lagan (14/15) Ballymena
Sean O'Hagan (14/15) Queens
Jack Owens (14/15) Queens
Jacob Stockdale (14/15)
Frank Taggart (14/15) Belfast Harlquins
Alex Thompson (14/15)
Craig Trenier (14/15) Ballynahinch
Connor Young (14/15) Instonians
I think this is a more heartening-looking academy line-up than the last couple of years - I was very impressed by Taggart in the JWC, and by Dow, Stockdale and Owens in the 20s matches. O'Hagan didn't have a great 20s campaign, but I think he looks the part.

Is Alex Thompson a second row? What club does he play for? In fact does anyone know what clubs Stockdale and Murphy play for as well?

And are Young and Atkinson still at Instonians? If so, no disrespect to Inst, would it not be better for them playing at a higher level?
..one more thing
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Thompson's a second row. Very big guy for his age if memory serves.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Thompson's the tallest in the academy at 6'6, Donnan and O'Connor are both 6'5.

LH Prop: Michael Lagan.
TH Prop: Craig Trenier.
Hooker: Jonny Murphy, John Andrew, Paul Jackson.
Lock: Alan O'Connor, John Donnan, Alex Thompson.
Backrow: Frankie Taggart, Josh Atkinson, Lorcan Dow.
Scrumhalf: Dave Shanahan, Connor Young.
Outhalf: Sean O'Hagan.
Centre: Sam Arnold
Wing/Fullback: David Busby, Jack Owens.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Columbo wrote:
mikerob wrote:So based upon the list of players in the program, the list of players in the academy and the season they entered the academy are:

Jonny Murphy (11/12)
Alan O'Connor (12/13) Malone
John Andrew (13/14) Ballymena
John Donnan (13/14) Ballynahinch
David Shanahan (13/14) Ballymena
Sam Arnold (14/15) Ballynahinch
Josh Atkinson (14/15) Instonians
David Busby (14/15) Queens
Lorcan Dow (14/15) Queens
Paul Jackson (14/15) Malone
Michael Lagan (14/15) Ballymena
Sean O'Hagan (14/15) Queens
Jack Owens (14/15) Queens
Jacob Stockdale (14/15)
Frank Taggart (14/15) Belfast Harlquins
Alex Thompson (14/15)
Craig Trenier (14/15) Ballynahinch
Connor Young (14/15) Instonians
I think this is a more heartening-looking academy line-up than the last couple of years - I was very impressed by Taggart in the JWC, and by Dow, Stockdale and Owens in the 20s matches. O'Hagan didn't have a great 20s campaign, but I think he looks the part.

Is Alex Thompson a second row? What club does he play for? In fact does anyone know what clubs Stockdale and Murphy play for as well?

And are Young and Atkinson still at Instonians? If so, no disrespect to Inst, would it not be better for them playing at a higher level?
Alex Thompson is a Methody boy and a very talented second row, don't know his club. Conor Young is going to college in England and won't be involved in the academy going forward as I understand.

Jacob Stockdale is playing for Queens, he played last week against Banbridge with Jack Owens and Sean O'Hagan. They all played great and don't agree with the O'Hagan did not have a good 20's, the bits I saw were just fine and again at the Dub on Saturday he set up a lovely try before getting demolished off the ball. People are expecting so much from him, he is obviously aimed at high things up here, he is starting for the Ravens and that will test the young fella.

Stockdale, O'Hagan, Owens and Arnold are young backs that I think will make big steps this year, what we need is young forwards coming out of the academy, thought that Lorcan Dow might get a run out and need to see Taggart more.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dan Dare wrote:They all played great and don't agree with the O'Hagan did not have a good 20's, the bits I saw were just fine and again at the Dub on Saturday he set up a lovely try before getting demolished off the ball. People are expecting so much from him, he is obviously aimed at high things up here, he is starting for the Ravens and that will test the young fella.
No I agree, he wasn't awful, and I think there is a lot more to come from him, but he certainly kicked poorly - he left a lot of points out on the pitch - and I think that affected his game, I thought he looked a bit nervy. Even saying that, he made a couple of lovely breaks. I think he looks like a quality player, looking forward to seeing him tomorrow for the Ravens!
..one more thing
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Young not being involved with the academy anymore is a disaster.. most talented scrumhalf to come out of ulster in ages. Also what college he was going to would be well known for awhile, odd they bothered to include him in the academy picture when they knew he wouldnt be here.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bayern wrote:Young not being involved with the academy anymore is a disaster.. most talented scrumhalf to come out of ulster in ages. Also what college he was going to would be well known for awhile, odd they bothered to include him in the academy picture when they knew he wouldnt be here.
Yep but Ulster have tried to keep him but it hasn't worked out with going to queens to do his course.

More to life than rugby.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

kingofthehill wrote:
Bayern wrote:Young not being involved with the academy anymore is a disaster.. most talented scrumhalf to come out of ulster in ages. Also what college he was going to would be well known for awhile, odd they bothered to include him in the academy picture when they knew he wouldnt be here.
Yep but Ulster have tried to keep him but it hasn't worked out with going to queens to do his course.

More to life than rugby.
Yes, however when Baggy and I were going to University, you had to go when you left school. There was really no choice unless your parents had dough. I think if I was a young guy with talent today and I was offered a chance to play the game in a professional set up i would give it a go. University entrance is now easy for anyone. They even do degrees in carpet Fitting ffs. I understand if some guys aren't interested or Queens doesn't do a particular degree. Not everyone wants it.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Jack you either went to University or became a 50 week a year underpaid dogsbody in some professional office or went into the bank or Civil Service better paid but equally boring. Nobody had money until they were in their early 20s . Part time jobs were like hens teeth .shops shut at 6 and bars closed at 10 and the last bus was 11 o clock Monday to Friday and 11 30 Saturday and swings didn't on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

rumncoke wrote:Jack you either went to University or became a 50 week a year underpaid dogsbody in some professional office or went into the bank or Civil Service better paid but equally boring. Nobody had money until they were in their early 20s . Part time jobs were like hens teeth .shops shut at 6 and bars closed at 10 and the last bus was 11 o clock Monday to Friday and 11 30 Saturday and swings didn't on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aah, those were the days! I remember we had to get up before we went to sleep, lick road clean wit' tongue, etc, etc. These young's today don't understand how lucky they are. Somewhat off topic, don't you think, Rum?
Bo***cks to Brexit
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote:

More to life than rugby.
wouldnt happen in Leinster or Munster.. guess young really didnt want to be a pro rugby player, suppose its not for everyone
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bayern wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

More to life than rugby.
wouldnt happen in Leinster or Munster.. guess young really didnt want to be a pro rugby player, suppose its not for everyone
There is more to it and I disagree on the Munster and Leinster point.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Leinster haven't lost a full academy player because of academic reasons since the new academy system came into place. Every players academic needs are taken care of, with all the players studying for a 3rd level qualification.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Bayern wrote:Leinster haven't lost a full academy player because of academic reasons since the new academy system came into place. Every players academic needs are taken care of, with all the players studying for a 3rd level qualification.
Just interested- how do you know that?