Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Russ »

BuckRogers wrote:
Russ wrote:Ternier has joined Hinch today according to rumours
Great so Ulster Rugby are signing Leinster props who didn't start for Ireland U-20's whilst letting an Ulster prop who demolished the baby black pack leave Irish shores....makes a whole lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that not just because Clarke is a Warren Gatland

Anscombe Out
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

It'd be funny if it weren't so serious.

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

My thoughts exactly... looking at Irelands U20's, we have a missing generation of talent. Despite all the bollix about whats coming through, I'd 've thought this year should've seen the start of it... The lack of Ulster front 5's coming through, being allowed to leave, or not getting a chance thoroughly depresses me. And I suspect some where more than good enough.
I'd like to see Donnan get a chance. But Simpson and O'Connor ahve been aorund for ages- so are they good enough or not or just clogging things up and keeping others out?
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:My thoughts exactly... looking at Irelands U20's, we have a missing generation of talent. Despite all the bollix about whats coming through, I'd 've thought this year should've seen the start of it... The lack of Ulster front 5's coming through, being allowed to leave, or not getting a chance thoroughly depresses me. And I suspect some where more than good enough.
I'd like to see Donnan get a chance. But Simpson and O'Connor ahve been aorund for ages- so are they good enough or not or just clogging things up and keeping others out?
How many Ulster players are in the U19 side?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

What? in the Ulster under 19's?......
Exterminate all rational thought
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Amiga500 wrote: We have a website? :scratch:
You cannot lose, if you do not play . . .
8)
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:My thoughts exactly... looking at Irelands U20's, we have a missing generation of talent. Despite all the bollix about whats coming through, I'd 've thought this year should've seen the start of it... The lack of Ulster front 5's coming through, being allowed to leave, or not getting a chance thoroughly depresses me. And I suspect some where more than good enough.
I think I read somewhere that Doonan, O'Connor and Simpson were all injured for large parts of last season. The injury jinx must be filtering down ffs. I hope at least one of them can push on, otherwise it would be a very poor return from the Academy if known can make the grade.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

McGlocks and Naz have started with U15 players anyone older they inherited with the job, they have some good 17 year old club players that should make the grade. As for front 5's at present none of those let go were good enough hence they didn't get game time.
You need a special talent and dedication now to make a pro rugby player.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think the figure is 150 lads on various rugby programmes.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:I think the figure is 150 lads on various rugby programmes.
260 I think is the official figure, that includes schools and clubs.
They start with larger numbers in the youngest grade then cut back to the best players later that year as they see who has potential and the right attitude.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The fact is that if you get two or three players a year good enough for Pro rugby your lucky

Players play longer in the pro game if they stay free from injury thus it is harder to make the break though early

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
They start with larger numbers in the youngest grade then cut back to the best players later that year as they see who has potential and the right attitude.
Could be. There were two old duffers sitting behind us yammering on about how they couldn't hear Fit and making sure that the rest of us missed some of what he said too.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

So far likelihood:

Centre: Sam Arnold
O/H: Sean O'Hagan
B/R: Frank Taggart, Lorcan Dow, Sean O'Connell
Lock: Alan O'Connor, John Donnan, Alan Simpson
Hooker: Conor Carey, Jonny Murphy, John Andrew, Paul Jackson
Prop: Jeremy Loughman, Craig Trenier,

That's a lot of hookers! I've taken those who've played for the first team from last year's academy to development. Any advance, better knowledge?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Jacob Stockdale as centre/wing/full back too.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Rooster wrote:
I was involved with a football coaching course from Thurs-Sat at Newforge and i was surprised to see so many youngsters getting put through their paces by quite a few different coaches for Ulster Rugby. Seemed to be almost a rotation from station to station then down to do a session in the gym before going back to rugby work each day I saw them. I was genuinely surprised by the high number of players there from what seemed like quite a young age age well.

Good to see and I definitely saw Brian McLaughlin leading things.