Sing for It

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

DB- Despite the fact that there are now several threads running on various sites I will answer you here. Thank you for at least making some effort to offer your own viewpoint.

I too would like to see a new stadium being constructed in NI except that we can agree to differ over the choice of location. I simply do not see a green field site out of town whether the Maze or otherwise as one that would work.

Indeed even a stadium in Belfast might struggle to pay for itself and as a tax payer it is my concern that it will cost me and others for years to come.

Whilst the Maze had consultation panels singing its praise and providing feasibility studys that the land was best suited to this venture the TQ were busy promoting their own ideas for its site in the South of France long before the decision was announced. The Northforeshore never really had a chance despite coming as the Maze free of charge. Setting that aside and my own opinion that either Belfast sites would have provided a better option for home and away fans the decision as we all knew had been made long ago.

Something that we have both touched on and many have maybe overlooked is that it is the IRFU that are negotiating the deal on behalf of the game of rugby here and as such maybe they have an eye on an autumn international more than how many times Ulster actually play there.

This is a difficult position for the IRFU whilst waiting for a £1.6m grant for the re-development of Ravenhill from the same department that is involved in the New Stadium. There is also the question of another existing £1m grant from the same department last year and the clarity as to whether that was ever paid or is still on hold? So it would appear that for Ravenhill to be built £2.6m (half the cost) is required from the same department that is advocating the new national stadium here. An ackward position for the IRFU in Dublin 4 to be in maybe? but then again part of the Maze appeal was its apparent access to Dublin.

We now know that UR will play CL league matches at Ravenhill and if they should qualify for either a home Q-F or S-F (something that requires more than simply qualification) and then only if the demand requires it.

Initially the Government stated that the stadium required 30 events per annum to be viable as a stand alone project. Presumably most of these would require full or near full capacity to make the figures add up.

Since moving from a position of 15 games there rugby is now on a power with the GAA at 2-3 and one of those will be more Dublin 4 than Belfast 6. I do not see why the GAA would use it given what they already have in place both financially and stadium wise. Football provided figures of a need for only 17,000 being their limit with less than 10 games per annum being an average.

That is what worrys me DB the fact that a stadium that requires 30 (full) usages per annum (quoting the Government) might be used 14- 16 times at most (how full) plus the odd concert I presume. I simply feel that all this stands a better chance in the city rather than on an out of town green field site be it the Maze or elsewhere. Most other examples of clubs around the world in any sport appear to favour the inner city approach of being in the centre of things rather than out in the sticks.

I fear that this will cost both you and I money. Even Cardiff has serious problems in its underuse and but for the fact that all the FA League Play-Offs are there coupled with the FA Cup semis and Final they would already be in trouble which they are anyway if the level of debt is to be believed.

You also mentioned athletics which I wasn't aware was to feature at any new stadium and with the size of a GAA pitch will surely only bring further problems on how to meet the criteria.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU