Injury Update

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Injury Update

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Yes the muscles get made bigger but the joints stay the same size.... but at the same time I think that everyone has a shelf life and some of our S&C has been around for 10 years if not mistaken.. maybe just maybe things have moved on and we need some new blood there as well.. out with the old ideas and in with the new..
It's a question that does need to be asked. Do we have a pattern of more joint injuries than other teams?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What about the pitch?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

Would be interesting to see a comparison of the incidence of injuries at amateur level as opposed to the professional game. I suppose it would be proportional to impact levels.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I heard a sports physio talking about this about 12 years ago, basically too much muscle and they were pulling their own joints and ligaments apart, there could well be some truth in the matter.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
damianmcr wrote:How is Payne? Has he quietly retired or does he still hope to play?

Will Coetzee be ready for preseason?
Marcell will be good to go in July.

Jared's contract is up this year, but we have heard nothing. No retirement, no extension.
As far as UR concerned they are expecting retirement..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Pro rugby is unsustainable.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote:Pro rugby is unsustainable.
Bringing in weight restrictions could be the answer. Or a body mass index type system.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
damianmcr wrote:How is Payne? Has he quietly retired or does he still hope to play?

Will Coetzee be ready for preseason?
Marcell will be good to go in July.

Jared's contract is up this year, but we have heard nothing. No retirement, no extension.
As far as UR concerned they are expecting retirement..
Sounds ominously like it Cockers.
Another quality player we could do with.
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Bringing in weight restrictions could be the answer. Or a body mass index type system.
Heard an interesting theory that if replacements were limited, and everyone expected to play full 80 that weight would reduce as a consequence.

Worth an experiment somewhere in the world for a season to see if there were less injuries, and also to see how teams try to game the system

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

kUD wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Heard an interesting theory that if replacements were limited, and everyone expected to play full 80 that weight would reduce as a consequence.

Worth an experiment somewhere in the world for a season to see if there were less injuries, and also to see how teams try to game the system

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Dropping to 4 subs would dramatically change the way the game is played imo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

But we'd only have to send on 4 Daves a match instead of 6 Daves and a Cave. Our chances would improve.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Interesting idea reducing the number of subs. There is no doubt that guys are currently told to put the lot in from the start in the front row positions as they are all covered. Think it would definitely require guys to be more measured if most will play 80 but it won't happen, of course, SAFETY will dictate that if anything we will have more replacements rather than fewer.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

What will be interesting next season is that given the number of players available is to be 41 and that a weekend with both senior & A teams playing requires 46 bodies how in God's name Ulster will be fulfilling fixtures, even in the impossible situation of a redundant medical team due to not a single injury.

This conundrum is currently perplexing UR at committee level, though it's interesting to note that the Blazers still think we have a team called The Ravens, for that my dears is how the A team are reported in the minutes. :duh: :duh: :duh:

If'n I didn't laugh, A'd durned cry. OK time for a coffee break to cool me down.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Not sure if the 41 includes the academy or not but it does look as though there will be a need to use club players more than in this season. That will make it very difficult for our five 1B clubs next season because it looks inevitable that there will be clashes between A fixtures and AIL league matches.
Bo***cks to Brexit
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote:Not sure if the 41 includes the academy or not but it does look as though there will be a need to use club players more than in this season. That will make it very difficult for our five 1B clubs next season because it looks inevitable that there will be clashes between A fixtures and AIL league matches.
It has to Rocky because there is no way we have 41 full professional contracts given the departures for reasons of greed, social injustice/FIRFU & that Kunt Slogan, or retirees & departing Daves. I very much doubt we have more than 30 full contracts & that includes Marcell, Girrid & Hond, all more or less redundant for differing reasons.