Injury Update

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Injury Update

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Big-al wrote:Our 10 also crabs sideways
Yes Big-al, indeed he does but not always & not always in the same direction,in a word you can be "predictable" or "unpredictable" the former is very easy to defend the latter not so.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

it seems to be the style the coaches want to play rather than the players crashing it up and shortening their career....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Do outside centres not pass anymore? If Spence can't pass why is he any better at 13 than 12?

At least at 12 he can cover Humphreys' missed tackles.
The future isn't what it used to be
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

So, back on topic... How are our centres injury wise. Cave looked sore and Nevin took a battering to the ribs. Are they both fit for Friday?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Spence has potential as a 12 but a crabbing flat backline ensures that at 12 his options are extremely restricted .

Considering Spence is the same height as Faloon - faster and heavier and a sound tackler with the ablity to break tackles on Wallace's return and if L Marshall is as good as the opinions stated on this board I would be tempted to play him at 7 . running and supporting our 8 and Ferris and used as a cover defence behind the backline.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

That's an injury update?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Setanta wrote:That's an injury update?
No it is a badly abbrieviated post, unless he wants Luke Marshall to become a flanker, or else I am a bit slow today :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Rooster you are a bit slow to-day the suggestion is that spence play 7 not Marshall I doubt if Marshall has the necessary robust approach .
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Try thinking outside the box . Just because someone has never played a position doesn't mean he couldn't and it is easier for a back to transfer into the backrow than a backrow to transfer to the backs. As far as I'm aware the Wallaby 7 once played in the centre so it is not without precident.

On the wing Spence would be totally isolated and his physical approach and stamina would be wasted he is a player who wants and thrives on involvement.

There is a mistaken view that wing is a position that any back can play it is actually one of the most demanding requiring a variety of skills positional awareness and anticipation to a far greater extent than that of a centre. It took Trimble about three seasons to adjust fully from centre to wing.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by rumncoke » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:40 pm

As far as I'm aware the Wallaby 7 once played in the centre so it is not without precident.
Yes, he was, when he was a 16 year old boy. Then spent 3 years learning how to play at 7. You saying we take Spence out of the game for 2 or 3 years in the hope that he may be able to do a job at 7?

The UR Academy offer 2 contract types:
Level 1 is awarded to a player aged approximately 16 - 19 years old, or to a player who is making a positional change.
I think if Spence could have been a 7, it would have been spotted a while ago but at 21 and at the level of rugby he is currently playing at, a move to 7 is out of the question.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Any news on Paddy Wallace injury?
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

He is back training and has been for a few weeks, as off 2 weeks ago was not doing contact training though.
Why? Why not?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Saw Payne in the stand last night, seems to be walking ok as well :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

ny chance of PW making the HC games? what about Paddy BigMac and Deccy Fit? Players don't seem to update us on their injuries via twitter anymore.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Payne isnt too bad at giving updates.