Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by Dave »

Nagle was the next best thing on the Munster hype train when he was coming through but the guy is now 30. Well stocked or not, It's a no from me.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

For me although Nagle is an option he's not a long term plan therefore give Dalton, Montgomery or Thompson game time needed at Pro 14 level to aid their development.

Whatever stop gap Nagle (or similar) would provide he would only be blocking the kids coming through.

Browne although a decent squad player in theory was only going to block the kids coming through had he been fit.

This is the season to suck it up and give the kids big game auditions. Hopefully some will hold their hands up.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

But...but.. his video montage is great.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Rugby Nomad
Novice

Post by Rugby Nomad »

UlsterNo9 wrote:For me although Nagle is an option he's not a long term plan therefore give Dalton, Montgomery or Thompson game time needed at Pro 14 level to aid their development.

Whatever stop gap Nagle (or similar) would provide he would only be blocking the kids coming through.

Browne although a decent squad player in theory was only going to block the kids coming through had he been fit.

This is the season to suck it up and give the kids big game auditions. Hopefully some will hold their hands up.
I'd agree with that in principle but do we have any youngsters? Is Dalton injured? We've seen nothing of him this year. I believe until fairly recently he was a winger and certainly seems to have a lot to learn about tight play. Montgomery is a back row Ulster are trying to convert to 2nd row but was playing blindside for his club at the weekend. Thompson can't get near the A side.

Are the coaches scared of using these players because they might weaken an already weak scrum? If so Nagle might be useful until the end of the season while they improve the youngsters but wouldn't want him about at start of next season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rugby Nomad wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:For me although Nagle is an option he's not a long term plan therefore give Dalton, Montgomery or Thompson game time needed at Pro 14 level to aid their development.

I'd agree with that in principle but do we have any youngsters? Is Dalton injured? We've seen nothing of him this year. I believe until fairly recently he was a winger and certainly seems to have a lot to learn about tight play. Montgomery is a back row Ulster are trying to convert to 2nd row but was playing blindside for his club at the weekend. Thompson can't get near the A side.

Are the coaches scared of using these players because they might weaken an already weak scrum? If so Nagle might be useful until the end of the season while they improve the youngsters but wouldn't want him about at start of next season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dalton played for the As against Connacht. He looks physically mature enough but I'm not sure about the top two inches. He's still quite young so with good coaching and mentorship he will improve.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Deysel retiring makes the replacement decision interesting - I would argue that with the signing of Murphy and so-far avoidance of injury by Marcell, our squad needs are firstly LHP, secondly scrum-half cover and thirdly back row cover... opportunity to negotiate with Nucifora? Complicating factor is we already have a NIQ LH, which the IRFU would no doubt (justifiably) require we sort out before we get another one

9 is unlikely - too many NIQ 9s floating around, also the politics after Ruan (still needs sorted badly by next season)

What back row options are floating around? What's the story with Japan, is the season finishing up now over there?
..one more thing
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Play the youngsters, bring in the NIQs post world cup.

Medical jokers..... no thanks.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Given Bryn's track record to date, would you trust him to bring in anyone that Dublin hasn't explicitly told him to?

His judgement looks seriously flawed.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Columbo wrote:Deysel retiring makes the replacement decision interesting - I would argue that with the signing of Murphy and so-far avoidance of injury by Marcell, our squad needs are firstly LHP, secondly scrum-half cover and thirdly back row cover... opportunity to negotiate with Nucifora? Complicating factor is we already have a NIQ LH, which the IRFU would no doubt (justifiably) require we sort out before we get another one

9 is unlikely - too many NIQ 9s floating around, also the politics after Ruan (still needs sorted badly by next season)

What back row options are floating around? What's the story with Japan, is the season finishing up now over there?
Top League in Japan finishes mid December.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Play the youngsters, bring in the NIQs post world cup.

Medical jokers..... no thanks.
We could sign someone until the end of the season and then look for a top operator post world cup. Alternatively we could pretend to be Munster and keep them all.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Columbo wrote: Complicating factor is we already have a NIQ LH, which the IRFU would no doubt (justifiably) require we sort out before we get another one
Sort out? In a Tony Soprano kinda way?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Columbo wrote: Complicating factor is we already have a NIQ LH, which the IRFU would no doubt (justifiably) require we sort out before we get another one
Sort out? In a Tony Soprano kinda way?

SVDM is a project not an NIQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Just heard Munster are getting a medical joker to cover Deysel's retirement.

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jackie Brown wrote:Just heard Munster are getting a medical joker to cover Deysel's retirement.

ImageImageImage
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Ravenspan has become Whitehead, without the pleasure of The Rhinka.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.