Pre season fixtures

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: Pre season fixtures

Post by scrum5 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
scrum5 wrote:On last nights performance and the Ospreys game at the end of last season, Tom O'Toole should be the starting TH, I thought offered more than both Kane and Moore....
Agreed. If he can scrummage consistently he will be hard to replace as he is excellent in the loose.
Let's give the kid a chance to grow into himself before heaping too much pressure on him.
Yeah, Leinster do it all the time :duck:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Finlay needs to walk
Bringing UR into disrepute

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
He can walk all right. Don't think he could whistle at the same time though.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

scrum5 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
scrum5 wrote:On last nights performance and the Ospreys game at the end of last season, Tom O'Toole should be the starting TH, I thought offered more than both Kane and Moore....
Agreed. If he can scrummage consistently he will be hard to replace as he is excellent in the loose.
Let's give the kid a chance to grow into himself before heaping too much pressure on him.
Yeah, Leinster do it all the time :duck:
I'm not saying don't play him, but we need to manage our (supporters) expectations of the kid. Tighthead is a brutal position, I have no doubt Dan will manage him effectively.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Who is heaping pressure on him?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
There.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Aw come on Snipe, if you think that's putting pressure on the lad.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:Who is heaping pressure on him?
There.
I'm not sure that I have enough influence to greatly impact things like that.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
There.

It is not that long ago that people were saying that we had our long term future at tight head sorted when Kane had played a few games. We also looked like we had loosehead sorted a few seasons ago with McCall.

The fact neither is a nailed on starter given the other resources we have in those positions shows that neither is anywhere near where people expected them to be at this stage.

O’Toole has shown promise but also had a couple of rough rides at scrum time, as you would expect from someone at his stage if development. For me it is too early to be saying whi are starting props should be and it is all to play for on thise positions.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

McCall isn't anywhere near good enough. Last night was the first time I have ever seen a prop scrummaged right through their own pack and out the other side. The propping stocks are threadbare of quality.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

scrum5 wrote:Aw come on Snipe, if you think that's putting pressure on the lad.....
Maybe keeping expectations realistic would have been a better way to put it.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Kane will be first choice with O'Toole to come on as impact with a more open game. Really rate Kane, he is the better scrummager and hits rucks hard. There is no doubt O'Toole has a bright future, this not reck him in his first senior season having him no1 choice just yet.

loosehead, how did people think Van De Merve got on?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

launish116 wrote:Kane will be first choice with O'Toole to come on as impact with a more open game. Really rate Kane, he is the better scrummager and hits rucks hard. There is no doubt O'Toole has a bright future, this not reck him in his first senior season having him no1 choice just yet.

loosehead, how did people think Van De Merve got on?
Two solid scrums and an excellent cover tackle on a player who had broken the line. Other than that it is hard to judge. I reckon he needs a run of games. He should get that if he remains fit because there is feck all options at loosehead.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

launish116 wrote:loosehead, how did people think Van De Merve got on?
Better than I expected, but then expectations weren't excessive.

Scrums were solid enough with him but think Gloucester pack was better in second half?

Solid tackling and visible in defence. Highlight was when one of the Gloucester centres broke through the line and he chased him, dived, caught him by the back of his shorts and brought him down. Was probably try saving and displayed surprising pace.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Preseason fixtures are entirely irrelevant.
I've seen us bate rings round us in preseason and then fall flat on our face when the actual rugby starts.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I reckon Hond will be pretty good this season, among other things his contract is up and if you are not playing well your value plummets
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best