Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast

Post by bazzaj »

You have the facts you just haven't read them correctly
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:You have the facts you just haven't read them correctly
As per my edit:

Paul, Son of Jack?

Shirley ye jest?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I've told you not to call me Shirley on the open forum
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

SHIRLEY OUT
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

bazzaj wrote:There is another example of how not to handle a player.
I'll put in my starter from a former academy player I know, a hard aggressive forward he was too.
He was put on the bench v the usual Italian dross at home for his potential debut.

We had secured the tbp before half time perfect opportunity to give the debutant a half in a no pressure can't lose situation you would have thought.
He was given the last few minutes of the game for his one and only appearance then promptly dropped like a hot stone.
Next season he gave up rugby entirely to pursue an alternative career.
I won't name him but I'm sure you can work it out.

One example but there are plenty.
Think they justify that as having a look at him but we'll stick with Call up Black, Diack and Clive Ross if it's all the same thanks.

Ulster won the u20s inter pros in 2014.
Stockdale was on that side and the only one who has come through when you expect to see the others by now.
I don't buy your silk purse theory Justin
You're quite within your rights not to do so but sport is littered with the corpses of players from successful kids teams who don't make go on to make it in the full professional game.

Especially if they give up as easily as your mate.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Of course I'm not for one minute suggesting a man of your calibre wouldn't have given up so easily in order to provide for his family.
We can't all be as strong minded as you clearly are Justin.

Yes I expect there to be corpses of kids that can't cut it in Ulster Rugby
I've been around a bit and that's the reality Im fully aware of.
The problem is UR have enough corpses for to supply another season of the Walking dead.

Not every one can make it but as the minute we are even being supplemented by the other provinces corpses.
That's not a great state of affairs but if you think oh well what can you do, be aware you are letting a few that should be held accountable entirely off the hook.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Of course I'm not for one minute suggesting a man of your calibre wouldn't have given up so easily in order to provide for his family.
We can't all be as strong minded as you clearly are Justin.

Yes I expect there to be corpses of kids that can't cut it in Ulster Rugby
I've been around a bit and that's the reality Im fully aware of.
The problem is UR have enough corpses for to supply another season of the Walking dead.

Not every one can make it but as the minute we are even being supplemented by the other provinces corpses.
That's not a great state of affairs but if you think oh well what can you do, be aware you are letting a few that should be held accountable entirely off the hook.
Jizzer, I'm entirely with you on most of that, I do wish we would give local lads who make it to the academy more opportunity for when given a decent chance many have shown reasonably capable.

However I'm not averse to bringing lads in from elsewhere either, you are bound to get some decent guys from Mexico for instance. Some may not have been as advanced at a certain age, equally the Mexicans aren't infallible, they will miss some decent players.

For me the problem is not so much "are they good enough" for me it's more are we good enough to see if they are up to it or not?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Clooney is clearly in that category Bagster.

Think more of Clive Ross.
Are we honestly in a position where we can't produce players at least as capable?
Sad state of affairs if we are to admit we can't.

Actually given the amount of game time Ross has had, he has improved significantly.
He has gone from ice cold to tepid.
Why hasn't our own talent been afforded the same opportunity?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Watched Tommy O'Hagan last season against a much more experienced Canadian front row and then against Andrew Porter For the A's, on both occasions he was better than his opponent...today Porter has 15 senior Leinster caps and is starting for Ireland against Fiji, he is 21 years of age.....O'Hagan is 2 years older and isn't within an ass's roar of the senior team & it's not because he's not good enough
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

bazzaj wrote:Clooney is clearly in that category Bagster.

Think more of Clive Ross.
Are we honestly in a position where we can't produce players at least as capable?
Sad state of affairs if we are to admit we can't.

Actually given the amount of game time Ross has had, he has improved significantly.
He has gone from ice cold to tepid.
Why hasn't our own talent been afforded the same opportunity?
2 words should be enough..... CLUELESS LES
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

True enough scrummers but since Mcglocks tenure there have been plenty others culpable as well
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

scrum5 wrote:Watched Tommy O'Hagan last season against a much more experienced Canadian front row and then against Andrew Porter For the A's, on both occasions he was better than his opponent...today Porter has 15 senior Leinster caps and is starting for Ireland against Fiji, he is 21 years of age.....O'Hagan is 2 years older and isn't within an ass's roar of the senior team & it's not because he's not good enough
Also appears that he is being asked to convert to tight head.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I like the Walking Dead gag Bazz and I'm largely playing Devil's advocate of course.

The perception I have is that this is all about the fact that posters on here would prefer a team full of Ulstermen because they think they will try harder than imports or otherwise have a greater right to play.

I don't buy that, just as I'm more than capable of guldering as loud, or louder, than you.

It's also possible that, being from Preston, I'm attuned to a youth policy producing nothing since Tom Finney....
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Ha fair play Justin
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

justinr73 wrote:I like the Walking Dead gag Bazz and I'm largely playing Devil's advocate of course.

The perception I have is that this is all about the fact that posters on here would prefer a team full of Ulstermen because they think they will try harder than imports or otherwise have a greater right to play.

I don't buy that, just as I'm more than capable of guldering as loud, or louder, than you.

It's also possible that, being from Preston, I'm attuned to a youth policy producing nothing since Tom Finney....
I would rather Tommy O'Hagan got gametime rather than SVDM