Moderator: Moderators

cheese
Initiate

semi final

Post by cheese »

any update on the scores???
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: semi final

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Final score Inst 10-0 RHS
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

RBAI defeat Regent in semi-final

RBAI progressed to the Northern Bank Schools' Cup final with a 10-0 victory over Regent House at Ravenhill.

The Belfast school took a 10-0 interval lead through a try by prop Daryl Maxwell with full-back Paddy Irwin landing a conversion and a penalty.

Regent, last season's beaten finalists, were never able to get into their rhythm with RBAI missing numerous scoring chances in the second half.

RBAI will face the winners of the game between MCB and Ballyclare High School.

They play their semi-final at the same venue on Wednesday.

The greasy surface made conditions difficult with numerous errors from both sides dictating a scrappy game.

RBAI were the more dangerous in the first half as they went through the phases although Regent missed two kickable penalties through full-back Neil Armstrong.

The 29-times winners deservedly took hold of the game late in the half. They sneaked ahead in the 30th minute when Irwin stroked over an easy penalty after Regent scrum-half Alister Lockhart stole the ball at a ruck from an offside position.

On the stroke of half-time RBAI skipper Maxwell, who was an inspiration throughout, nipped in to pick up at a loose ball at a ruck to score from close range with Irwin adding the extras.

It was all one-way traffic in the third quarter with RBAI totally dominant but missing two glorious try-scoring opportunities while Irwin hit an upright with a penalty.

Although reduced to 14 men when centre Rory McCurry was sin-binned for foul play, RBAI easily hung on to secure victory.

The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Romeo47 Alpha 52
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Not often you see a yellow card in schools rugby!

In the 7years I played I dont think I ever seen one! Seen one sending off but no yellows!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

There was one in the Campbell MCB qtr final too. Campbell No8 got a yellow in the first (a wee bit harsh I thought).
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

There is some information on yellows in school games dated January 2006 at:

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/3216.php
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Match report failed to mention that Regent also had a player yellow carded in the first half (scrum half if I recall) :roll:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

And correct you are. I had forgotten about that. The number 10 went into stars half for the period.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

.... and that's when Inst scored their try.

Some confusion over what RHS yellow was for - suggestion was that scrum-half made a break (although illegally) and kicked the ball forward and chased it. Ref penalised original offence but carded him for kicking the ball away. seemingly he didn't "kick the ball away" but thought he was still playing. If so, it seems harsh. (This info from spectator who was there)

Colin (anyone?) shed any light?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:.... and that's when Inst scored their try.

Some confusion over what RHS yellow was for - suggestion was that scrum-half made a break (although illegally) and kicked the ball forward and chased it. Ref penalised original offence but carded him for kicking the ball away. seemingly he didn't "kick the ball away" but thought he was still playing. If so, it seems harsh. (This info from spectator who was there)

Colin (anyone?) shed any light?

Sorry, can't shed any light on anything - wasn't there ;)
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

is it true thr branch are charing £8 for adults to go to these semi finals?????? if so thats ridiculous :puker:
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

cheese wrote:is it true thr branch are charing £8 for adults to go to these semi finals?????? if so thats ridiculous :puker:
Well my kids paid £6 each for their tickets so £8 for adults would seem likely. Does feel a bit dear though.
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

cheese wrote:is it true thr branch are charing £8 for adults to go to these semi finals?????? if so thats ridiculous :puker:
Yep, £8 and £6 for tickets :(
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Video highlights are on the bbc: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/norther ... 921800.stm

Regent yellow card is about 2:30