Mini Rugby Coaching

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterJock
Initiate

Mini Rugby Coaching

Post by UlsterJock »

Hi,

Thought it might be a good idea to start a topic which allowed people who may be involved in coaching at mini rugby level (i.e ages 4 to 11) a place to swap ideas for sessions, drills, post links etc etc.

I know from experience there is a lot of info out there, however a great deal of it is aimed at the slightly older age groups of 11+. It is also difficult to get a hold of ideas for the very young ones 5, 6, 7 year olds.

Look forward to sharing and learning. :cheers:

To kick us off - here are maybe a few useful web links:

http://www.coachingtoolbox.co.nz/toolbo ... e&Itemid=1

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/development/news.php

http://www.coachingrugby.com/drills/Rug ... ou-can.jsp
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
UlsterJock
Initiate

Re: Mini Rugby Coaching

Post by UlsterJock »

IDEAS FOR TEAM GAMES:

GAME 1 – Straight Shuttle Everyone with rugby ball Child with ball runs out to cone, scores try, runs back with ball to rear of team, front child goes. POINTS Running with 2 hands on ball Variation: 2 at time and must pass once on way out.

GAME 2 – Under Leg Shuttle Everyone with rugby ball, children stood with legs shoulder width apart (wide enough to allow someone to crawl through). Child with ball runs out to cone, scores try, runs back crawls through legs of team to back, when at back, front child goes. POINTS Winning team first with hands in air or variation. Variation: Child at back starts by crawling under then sprint out joins front on return.

GAME 3 – Numbered Ball Retrieve 2 teams of even numbered teams - children all kneel – number the children they have to remember their number. Coach calls number – child with that number runs out – race to see which team member collects ball first .

GAME 4 – Snake Relay Teams line up – first child runs out to cone and returns – collects 2nd child hold hands – run out – run back – collect 3rd child – run out etc..... Space – ensure enough space between teams.

GAME 5 – Centipede Race Everyone lined up – hold on to person waist in front – crouch down- on “Go” team walk out to cone and back as race against others. Children work as team to get out to cone and back.

GAME 6 – Zoo Shuttle Everyone lined up behind cone – name every child as an animal – Rabbit (hops) – Starfish (star sideways jumps) – Monkey (monkey run) – Albatross (wave arms like wings) – Cheetah (runs very fast) – Penguin (run with arms down sides) Coach calls animal to run out and back – Zoo called out all run out.

GAME 7 – Ball in Knees Shuttle Everyone with rugby ball Child places ball in-between legs at knees and runs out to cone- runs back with ball to rear of team – next child goes.

:wink: all good fun
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

A Few More Links:

Moore & Guscott - Passing - some good basics:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ug1IwO5A ... re=related

Moore & Guscott - Tackling

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ilq4wrnlX ... re=related

Fun link for the kids - the basics:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQyCcageGg

:wink:
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Smart thinking Jock!
I've got my Tag Rugby Coaching Badge, although I'm looking to work my way up to Level 1 or Level 2, as well as getting my gym instructor award.
When I coached tag rugby to the kids, I put out very basic handling drills:
- pop pass to each other and move
- run and pop pass
- teach how to pass the ball before being tackled / tagged.

I did some evasion drills:
- 'Stuck In The Mud' using both tag belts (to get the kids used to the tagging aspect of the game) and with a rugby ball (to help the kids get a feel of the ball)
- I also tried a 'Stay within the box' type game, similar to stuck in the mud, however, every 30 seconds the box area got a little smaller, to the point where they were trying to avoid each other in 7m x 7m squares. Got various levels of success, didn't continue this game too much though in case of clashing heads. (nightmare if some P7 parent complains to me cause their son / daughter got a wee knock!)

For tackling / tagging:
- Stuck in the Mud
- 'Red Rovers' or something the kids called it. You have a group of 4 people standing in the middle, and everyone else runs from one side of the area to the other, whilst trying to avoid being tagged. If a child was tagged, they had to join the group of defenders.

Although not really mini rugby, I reckon this can be pretty useful info. I enjoy coaching, and would definitely look at it as a wee hobby possibility as I'm not exactly the most gifted rugby player on earth!
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

YoungMan wrote:Does one do risk a assessment?
Much like the workplace an appointed person within the club should be co-ordinating these things. It may be you get asked for advice or input into the process. Again like the workplace, if you identify hazards, you should report them in to the mini-section head.
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Warm Up Ideas:

Form an appropriate size Grid with blue, green, white, red cone sides

1. “Ball Down” – child puts ball down picks up another.

2. “Ball Up” – Child stops running throw ball up and claps.

3. Traffic Light Variation – Red stop running put down ball – Green - pick up new ball carry on running.

4. Swap Ball – Child runs round – first child to swap ball 5 times with different child puts ball on head.

5. The Blob – 2 players hold hands – as they catch they join hands – when Blob gets to 8 break off new Blob – continue until all caught.

6. Team size – run round shout out team size – get in teams of ........2s, 3s, 4s etc etc..

7. In pairs, back to back – pass ball round body.

8. In pairs, back to back – pass ball over head – through legs.

9. In pairs, back to back, put ball down at side – bend legs – pick up – put ball down etc

10. Score try – call a colour – kids score try on that colour side of grid.

warmed up nicely- :cheers:
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Another Link

Perhaps a bit advanced for the very young ones nevertheless some useful stuff:

http://www.irishrugby.ie/512_513.php

:thumleft:
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

After all the training just do what any mini coach I've ever met did - pick your own son and then give him the player of the year award at the end of the season.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

pick your own son and then give him the player of the year award at the end of the season.
Have the days of "I can't be seen to favour my own son." passed?

_________
I named my boy Sue
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

cables wrote:
pick your own son and then give him the player of the year award at the end of the season.

_________
I named my boy Sue
Certaily wasn't the case at CI 5 years ago when PWR junior went through the system there.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

News from Ulster Branch Site:
Details of a new Mini Rugby Coaching course have been announced by the Ulster Branch
The 2- part Mini Rugby Coaching course will take place at Malone RFC on 25th January and 1st February 2009. The cost will be £45.
For further information, please click on the link below or alternatively contact the Rugby Development department on 028 90493111 ext 239 or see link:

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/9709.php

Mini Rugby Fundamental Movement Skills workshop
Malone RFC was the venue for the recent Mini Rugby (Fundamental Movement Skills) workshop
12 coaches from CIYMS, Malone, Newforge Taggers, Ballynahinch, Belvior Park PS and Cooke RFC; all coaching rugby at Mini Level (Stage 1 LTPD) within clubs and schools, participated in the workshop which was delivered by Regional Development Officer, Darryl Callaghan, and assisted by CRDO, Brian O’Shaughnessy.
Fundamental movement skills (FMS) provide the foundation for all athletic maturity and are seen as the building blocks from which sports specific skills are developed. For any young and talented athlete, the journey towards athletic excellence starts with the establishment of fundamental movement competency.

Essentially, FMS are common motor activities with specific and observable movement patterns. They have been described by some practitioners as the ABCs of Athleticism; agility, balance, co-ordination, speed, awareness and reaction time. When coupled with basic skill development, they are said to produce a level of physical literacy. A well -rounded movement vocabulary provides the best preparation for the acquisition of more advanced and complex skills.

The workshop, delivered by Darryl and Brian had 4 main aims-

- To increase the coaches’ Knowledge of Fundamental Movement Skills

- To assist coaches in planning and delivering programmes (Functional Circuit Training) that support each child’s development of proficient fundamental movement skills.

- To improve coaches’ assessment of childrens’ proficiency in a variety of fundamental movement skills.

- To help the coaches choose appropriate FMS, monitoring and Functional assessment strategies and learning experiences that will best cater for the needs of the individuals and group.

Speaking after the workshop, Darryl Callaghan said: “I am confident that through this workshop, coaches will have gained an increased knowledge of the benefits and importance of Fundamental Movement Skills at Mini level. I would like to thank everyone who participated in the workshop, including coaches and tutors and Malone RFC for providing their facilities on the night.”
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

The following has been written to stimulate debate on the current state of Mini Rugby across Northern Ireland:

Would the establishment of a common (i.e. national) Mini Rugby training vision and set of objectives for years P4 to Maxi be a welcome development?

Mini Rugby during the rugby season regularly involves thousands of men, women and children across the whole of Northern Ireland on a Saturday morning. The adults who take part are all volunteers and range in experience from ex or current players (in turn with exposure to varying degrees of playing levels) to the first timer only there because son/daughter wants to be there. The establishment of a common vision and set of age group objectives could be used to unite this effort in turn greatly improving the skill levels going into senior rugby alternatively, it could be viewed as an unnecessary piece of regulation.

At present, there are guidelines laid out as to the type of game that can and cannot be played by the various age groups e.g. Leprechaun rugby, 3 or 5 man scrums, no line outs / 3 man line outs (described in detail in the IRFU Mini Rugby Regulations), however these can fall across a couple of groups and therein children of different ages. Further, the skill sets required for each is not as clearly defined or mapped out and where there is guidance it is limited and varied in its appliance at the grassroots level. It could be argued therefore that now is the time to develop a Common Skills Syllabus (CSS) which has a unifying vision and skill objectives for implementation across all age groups and clubs nationally.
Coaching Mini Rugby is a truly amateur pastime, but that does not mean to say it has to be left entirely to chance on a Saturday morning. Some would argue, that a CSS would be a welcome thing, enabling first time coaches (i.e. parents who have stepped forward to help) to develop themes and a structure for Saturday mornings. How often have children gone through 5 years (or more in some instances) of Mini Rugby to come out the end of it with still a limited knowledge of the rules of the game, how to pass, kick and catch correctly? A comprehensive CSS covering all age groups which is briefed and mentored by the club, would by the end of 5 years ensure that the child had developed all the basics and was then ready to take on the challenges of 15 a-side full contact game with confidence in their ability to conduct all the basics.

This appliance of a structure however would depend on 2 key facets; the willingness and participation of the club and coach. The club would have to be willing and interested not just to entertain a mini section on a Saturday morning but to invest both time and money in developing the infrastructure required to train and encourage a structured CSS offering. The club perhaps, should be insisting on a certain level of skill for the coaches and that prior to taking up a coaching spot they should attend an in-house series of coaching days. The balance here is that the coach is the parent of a child who they wish to be with, watch and be part of their rugby experience. Therefore it would have to be a series of sessions to coincide with youngster attendance and not so long and onerous that the parent is put off from volunteering (e.g. 4 one hour sessions alternately over 8 weeks). Whether all this would be achievable given the discrepancy in size of clubs and the already growing pressures on resources in today’s economic climate is debateable. Secondly, the coaches themselves vary widely in their expectations and ability. For some, what they want out of a Saturday morning session is purely the joy of assisting, for others it is to lead. What is clear across all elements is that there is a very wide spectrum of instructional ability which is a barrier to a standard offering. Ability of course can be improved and its development is at the forefront for some e.g. the ongoing work that the Ulster Branch undertake. Not all parents however want to or can (because of work / family commitments etc ) do external training, nor would they wish to be subjected to investigation or assessment on a Saturday morning, leaving the implementation of a CSS an extremely difficult thing to invigilate.

The other component in all this is the child. By bringing in a CSS infers measurement; there will be some who meet the targets others who do not. What then happens to each? Would this mean the formal implementation of streaming within the various groups? Certainly at present there is a propensity to stream children in Mini Rugby with “A” and “B” teams being the norm within many club sections, a CSS would serve to ratify this and make selection for each stream easier. To counter argue, is that given the speed by which children of this age change both physically and mentally, to assess and determine a child’s rugby playing ability on a set of rigid objectives is not recommended and requires a flexible and measured approach, the success of which requires trained and experienced coaches. The situation is further complicated by those children who join in randomly or spread their time across many other sports on a Saturday. There is a danger in these instances that those attendees are left to cope with a steep learning curve unless there is a willingness of coaches to spend time to bring the child up to speed with his / her contemporaries, or that there is a separate “catch up” group established to take on these individuals.

A CSS related approach does offer club sections the ability to promote a wider understanding of requirements and enables concurrent planning by coaches away from Saturday morning sessions. This improvement can only mean that children are better prepared to meet the challenges of their growing game structures as they progress and noticeable disparities in skill stages between visiting teams are diminished. If not a nationwide implemented solution, one that was drafted and given to clubs to utilise and develop could be argued to be a step in the right direction. What is not being argued though is a rigid, inflexible approach leading to a slavish obsession with completing drills and which starves the game and session of any entrepreneurial spirit.

If someone no matter what age (including coach) is not enjoying their rugby experience they will give it up for something else. Central to enjoyment is activity and involvement, how this is achieved correctly is through a planned and structured approach which develops and grows skills. Parents / coaches without it, become directionless focusing on the skills familiar to them and unwittingly enforcing bad practice throughout the child’s Mini Rugby career. Left to random skill development, unstructured learning and aimless sessions, confusion and disparity creeps in and children end up starting a senior rugby career with major skill variances. The development and implementation of a Common Skills Syllabus though fraught with complexity and at the mercy of rigid application, would be welcome and should be considered.
rugby-058.gif
rugby-058.gif (14.28 KiB) Viewed 10897 times
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

pwrmoore wrote:
cables wrote:

_________
I named my boy Sue
Certaily wasn't the case at CI 5 years ago when PWR junior went through the system there.
Just re-read this thread because of a new post and realised that it mightn't be clear what I meant.

When PWR Junior went through CI the set-up was brilliant. There was no favouritism towards the coaches children, just great fun and an opportunity for all the Kids to learn rugby and enjoy themselves. I believe it is just the same today :cheers: :thumleft:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The most difficult thing is to leave your own kid out of the starting lineup when it's a close call. I know.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

The thing that annoys me most about the minor games played at half time is that none of the kids have been taught to have vision --

Ie they all mill around the ball and then some kid starts to round an ark in the hope he is faster

They don't appear to have been taught the how to line across a pitch and to play across to find space to attack

everybody wants to be within 3-4 feet of the ball.

reduce the number of players and restrict the number of paces an individual player can run before passing

To many want to try to play on their own when in possession

watching the games at half time it appears that about 2/3 of the kids never seem to get the ball in their hands

Lots of running chasing and trying to get the ball yes but handling the ball no

How are children going to learn what to do with the ball if they don't have the opportunity to handle it in a game

ie its fine have kids running in a line passing to each other during practice but they have to realise that need to do it during the game they have to be taught that it is possible that another player in the team could better placed or have more opportunity to score than themselves. To think collective interest instead of personnal interest.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?