Re: 2012 schools Cup.

Post by breakdown »

Scorers?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

No idea I'm afraid - wasn't there, just picked up the result on the FRU.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Thoroughly deserved victory by MCB,first half was a dour affair with too many mistakes from both sides not helped by a whistle happy ref and a strong swirling wind. MCB went in 3 v 0 up at half time thanks to full back Ruddy Benade who also missed one. Apart from the first five minutes MCB controlled the game despite going down 3 v 5 to a farcical try which was the result of a good hit on Benade followed by a spill by winger Paddy Calhoun which was kicked on and touched down by Campbell fullback Jack Owens. Methody moved up the gears and Scored three great tries and won the game with plenty to spare although they cannot afford another lackluster first 20 minutes at the start or Ballyclare will punish them. What a great year for MCB after last years shortfalls in the Medallion Shield and schools cup with the lads getting into both finals in 2012! The Methody lads will treat Ballyclare with great respect as they know they are an excellent side who have got to the final the hard way by beating Armagh,RBAI and Wallace so it will be a great final.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Funnily enough I thought both teams played better into the wind. Neither made good use of the wind at their backs. Campbell butchered at least 3 great chances for tries in the first half but had no real ideas how to win the match in the second.

Overall MCB deserved their win but will need to step up their game in the final.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

hmmm - a slightly onesided report by Beattie - best team won but MCB should have had it safe long before given the possession they had. CCB butchered their chances and didn't do enough with the ball when they had it. CCB were very good defensively and only because they ran out of steam in the last 2/3 minutes did MCB get the extra score to put the gloss on the score line. No real stand out performances - MCB winger made a couple of good jinking runs out of defense but not much else of note.

Interestingly given the earlier talk about the MCB coaches and their behaviour in the prior year quarterfinal (which was proven to be incorrect by various reputable posters) it was the MCB coaches today who were often jumping up an down and complaining about decisions- the assistant ref regularly telling them to sit down!!
Last edited by Yoda on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

I was it too but was just unsure who scored.

After being at both semi finals its good to spot a few great youngsters. Wallace didn't play well, but Jordon Heatley was fantastic, has the build to make a good 13 in the future or a wing. MCclatchey had a bad game but he's defiently one to watch, and despite being injury prone, David Scott is quite good.
At Ballyclare their back three all operated well, especially the 11 and 15. Their 6 was a big unit as well.
Most of methodys players have been mentioned, the Mark Gribbons and Benades.
CCB have a few, most notably Mark Best, good player, moved to centre from 6 last year. Haldane and Owens also have stacks of potential.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Can no-one spell "definitely?"
Bo***cks to Brexit
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

2012 schools Cup.

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Mrs D, Mrs I, Mrs F F I...
That's how I always remember it.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

rocky wrote:Can no-one spell "definitely?"
I'm generally not a great speller :lol:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:Mrs D, Mrs I, Mrs F F I...
That's how I always remember it.
That's not how you spell "it".
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Yoda,the only time I was aware of Nicky Wells jumping up and down was at the end when MCB scored the second try to go in front but then again I was watching the game and not the reaction of coaches in the dugouts. I sat a short distance away from David Wells and he was as bemused as many at some of the refs early decision making . I think getting animated about the decision making of refs in your own dugout in the semi final of a prestigious competition is understandable...ultimately MCB did what they had to do on the pitch against a very good,courageous,battling Campbell college side.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Beattie, your loyalty is admirable, defending behaviour you then admit to not even seeing!

You'll notice I didn't comment on the rights or wrongs of the behaviour - I just stated the fact that it took place. I'm not familiar with the coaching staff of MCB, I wouldn't know Nicky Wells if he jumped up and down on my foot so I can't tell you which particular coaches were the ones getting told off but I suspect it wasn't Mr Wells based on the youngish appearance of those involved.

For the record I have nothing against animated behaviour on the bench, Davy Irwin and other Ulster coaches express disbelief and waves hands in the air on regular occurrences during Ulster games (normally when Clancy or a Scot is present) but rushing forward to almost encroach on the pitch at the same time is probably taking it too far - particularly when you've already been told off for it a few times!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Yoda mate,let's agree to disagree :D ....
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Beattiespastie wrote:Yoda mate,let's agree to disagree :D ....
I could live with that although would like to be clear on what we're agreeing to disagree about?! :scratch:

That the coaches/helpers rushed the pitch or that it is ok to do so? :stir:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

2012 schools Cup.

Post by Rooster »

If there is one thread on here where you can guarantee a good bitching session it is the schools cup thread
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best