Western Force heading to UK?

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

Cobber
Novice

Western Force heading to UK?

Post by Cobber »

With the Australian Rugby Union's decision to scrap the Australian Regional Competition the Western Force have taken off season matters into their own hands and are planning a tour up to your general direction in August this year with possible matches being played against Saracens, Newcastle, Leicester and Ospreys.

If the ARU come to their senses and install a new provincial competition, these plans may fall by the wayside but nothing seems to have been put forward so far so the tour does look like going ahead, it will of course be minus our Wallabies players - which could be a good proportion of the team. Well worth a look if you're in the area.

As for the Western Force's season so far, we're doing OK. As with most rugby games, on any given day any team could conceivably defeat another no matter the standing on the ladder, but with our toughest games (on paper) out of teh way for the season we are sitting a respectable 5th on the table with a good shot at the finals.

Current Ladder (Team, Points Differential, Points)
1. Crusaders (NZ) 175 33
2. Sharks (SA) 48 27
3. Blues (NZ) 56 24
4. Chiefs (NZ) 5 23
5. Force (AU) -6 23
6. Waratahs (AU) 22 22
7. Hurricanes (NZ) 23 21
8. Stormers (SA) 9 18
9. Brumbies (AU) -32 16
10. Reds (AU) -44 12
11. Cheetahs (SA) -74 11
12. Highlanders (NZ) -29 10
13. Bulls (SA) -79 10
14. Lions (SA) -74 7

We are yet to play the 4 teams in bold - 3 of which are Australian teams.
15 Positions, 80 Minutes
:D
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Re: Western Force heading to UK?

Post by darkside lightside »

saracens aren't too far away - i may go along to check the force out if they come. but i can't promise i won't try to corner cross, giteau, mitchell and sharpe in the pub later and try to talk them into coming to ulster next year!!! :)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Meanwhile Ulster will probably play Leeds and Armoy 3rds :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Wots wrong with Armoy 3rds..................

Nothing ...................except they don't exist.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Cobber
Novice

Post by Cobber »

darkside lightside wrote:saracens aren't too far away - i may go along to check the force out if they come. but i can't promise i won't try to corner cross, giteau, mitchell and sharpe in the pub later and try to talk them into coming to ulster next year!!! :)
I'm afraid Cross, Gits, Mitchell and Sharpe will most likely be with the Wallabies and not touring with the Force. But the wallabies are heading north also and maybe you can convince them:

Saturday, 8th November: Italy -v- Australia, TBC
Saturday, 15th November: England -v- Australia, Twickenham
Saturday, 22nd November: France -v- Australia, Stade de France
Saturday, 29th November: Wales -v- Australia, Millenium Stadium
Wednesday, 3rd December: Barbarians -v- Australia, Wembley Stadium

We'll be playing Ireland in Melbourne on Saturday, 14th June.
15 Positions, 80 Minutes
:D
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UK teams to feel pre-season Force
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:31

The Western Force will embark on a five-week development tour of the United Kingdom in August and September, Rugby Western Australia (WA) announced on Tuesday.

The six-match tour pits the WA side against four top-flight English Guinness Premiership teams and two regional academy sides.

A 28-man squad, to be announced in July, will depart Perth on July 31 and will open the six-match program against Jonny Wilkinson's Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park on August 8.

After a mid-week clash with the Saracens Academy, the team will collide with the Eddie Jones-led Saracens at Old Albanians before a hit out against the Northampton Academy team.

The tour will then climax with matches against recently promoted English League One champions Northampton Saints and 2007/08 Guinness Premiership Finalists Leicester Tigers.

The touring party will arrive back in Perth on September 3.

Coach John Mitchell said he will assemble a developing squad for the 34-day tour.

"The touring squad will consist of any RugbyWA contracted players not involved with the Wallabies, plus a handful of our academy players," said Mitchell.

"The team will travel as the Western Force and will wear the Western Force jersey.

"We are going on this tour with the intentions of developing our game and to perform well in preparation for the 2009 Super 14 season," he said.

Mitchell said his side will face quality opposition throughout the tour.

"We are expecting the English teams to field strong sides.

"These will be important pre-season trial matches for each of these teams and they will be just as serious as we are about performing well."

"Saracens are working extremely hard under Eddie Jones and only a couple of weeks ago Leicester came within ten points of winning the Premiership Final against London Wasps."

"Newcastle has a proud history and Northampton finished undefeated from 30 matches in the second tier competition this year," said Mitchell.

"It will give some of our younger guys some exposure to quality rugby in the lead up to the 2009 Super 14 season."

Mitchell said the tour was brought about after the axing of the Australian Rugby Championship (ARC) competition this season.

"With the ARC being scrapped after one season, teams will have to explore alternative means to continue playing competitive rugby throughout the winter/spring period," said Mitchell.

"This tour will provide the guys with invaluable game time and the touring experience will serve to bring the team closer as a unit prior to our pre-season [training]."

Western Force 2008 UK Development Tour:
August 8: Force v Newcastle Falcons, Kingston Park
August 12: Force v Saracens Academy, Old Albanians
August 16: Force v Saracens, Old Albanians
August 23: Force v Northampton Academy, Franklin's Gardens
August 27: Force v Northampton Saints, Franklin's Gardens
August 30: Force v Leicester Tigers, Welford Road
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best