Super Rugby 2017

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:
damianmcr wrote:I think the Hurricane's will thrash the Lions. They were crap against the Sharks and scraped past. Only team not to face a NZ team all season. It'll be a step too far IMO.
I look like a dick
Glad I didn't have to tell you Damo, I recorded it and have just finished watching it. What a game of rugby, the Lions 3-22 down a few minutes before half-time then took the Canes apart in the 2nd half.

That is the sort of rugby that I love the Saffers for, strong bullying rugby and a healthy dose of skill. 44-29 from 19 points down.

A bit like Ireland in the 2nd test last year at Ellis Park, the altitude took the strength out of the Canes. But a great win for SA & the Lions. Lions seem to be troubling NZ teams more than expected this year. >EW So don't feel too much of a dick Damo. :lol: :lol: :lol:

100% win record so far against NZ teams . :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope they destroy the Crusaders.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Lions playing some really nice stuff again this year. Should beat the Crusaders with home advantage but should be a good contest.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Mr Peyper the ref for the final on Sat. You would have thought they could have got an Aussie Ref?

Deck properly stacked v the Crusaders now with the altitude factor. Their own fault mind - they lost the top seeding and a home final in the last round of the regular season.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Final is on Sky Sports Mix on Sat (3pm KO)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Final was a good watch. The highveld factor was clear to see again.

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Score?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

17-25
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

14 against 15 for most of the game. Lions doing all the playing on the 2nd half.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Shame about the red card but good game nonetheless and it was about as blatant a red as your likely to see. Thought the Crusaders were superb for 65mins and blew the Lions off the park - looked better against 15 than 14 funny enough then they looked out on their feet for the last 15. Lions carried well enough but for the home team I’d have expected more in the first 40 mins. If they’d have stayed with 15 men I think they would have probably won it but since they were virtually given a free pass to the final I think the best side in the competition probably won it. For all the talk about a SA ref I thought Peyper was pretty good overall. Couple of dodgey ones but such is the nature of the game.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Crusaders coach has said they were knackered in last 20. Defended so well.

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Neill_M wrote:Crusaders coach has said they were knackered in last 20. Defended so well.

Defended well for 60 but last 20 the Lions went looking for mis-matches and found them easily. Even against 14 men, that's a tough place to go and win. Some of the ball-carriers in the Lions side were really strong and physical. Crusaders coach is an interesting guy - spent some time playing for Ards!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 02888.html

And managed a bit of break-dancing on the pitch after the win yesterday:
http://www.the42.ie/scott-roberston-cru ... 3-Aug2017/
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Was a good watch. Not a fan of Peyper, but it was an obvious red card. Playing on the highveld is the Lions' not so secret weapon.

The Cheetahs will have a similar advantage in the Pro 14.

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

An intriguing game to watch, the Lions again looking like they had no answer to the opposition, quickly "building" a losing scoreline and then, even with 14 men, showing the character to look like they might win.

I suppose the red card is impossible to argue, but the contact with his own player after the initial contact with Kwagga Smith very clearly influenced the fact he landed on head & neck. However, none of the officials appeared to even consider that and that was that. Yet another high profile game suffering a red card where there was clearly no intent to do damage and the result was an uninjured player.

I'm really not sure what can be done but such is the consequence of the red card that I can't help believing that something different must be tried when it is essentially careless rather than malicious, a 20-minute card perhaps if the offended against player is not injured & replaced.

The Lions are a brave team, just why they can be taken apart early in games is a question they must address but they make for exciting games and watching them and some NZ teams have been the high point of this SR season. I did develop an unlikely fondness for the Kings too, often beaten out the gate but they try to play a great style of rugby.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

How the officials missed the accidental offside for the first try is hard to fathom in a game of that stature. When a ball ricochets about like that they have a duty to check it. Maybe peyper was feeling the pressure to be whiter than white. Owens wouldn't have missed it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

BaggyTrousers wrote:An intriguing game to watch, the Lions again looking like they had no answer to the opposition, quickly "building" a losing scoreline and then, even with 14 men, showing the character to look like they might win.

I suppose the red card is impossible to argue, but the contact with his own player after the initial contact with Kwagga Smith very clearly influenced the fact he landed on head & neck. However, none of the officials appeared to even consider that and that was that. Yet another high profile game suffering a red card where there was clearly no intent to do damage and the result was an uninjured player.

I'm really not sure what can be done but such is the consequence of the red card that I can't help believing that something different must be tried when it is essentially careless rather than malicious, a 20-minute card perhaps if the offended against player is not injured & replaced.

The Lions are a brave team, just why they can be taken apart early in games is a question they must address but they make for exciting games and watching them and some NZ teams have been the high point of this SR season. I did develop an unlikely fondness for the Kings too, often beaten out the gate but they try to play a great style of rugby.

I absolutely agree. Red cards are ruining games needlessly. 'Accidents' happen regardless of how 'careful' players are. Yes, there should be a significant deterrent so that reckless play is minimized but to red card a team in the first half is just so harsh. I think there's room for an orange card (DUP would love it). Player goes off for 20 or perhaps even 30 mins as you say and is replaced by another player at the end of the 20/30 and is automatically cited. As it stands, if you have a player who mistimes a tackle slightly then you effectively lose the game and that's too harsh for an individual error with often no intent.