Super Rugby 2017

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by damianmcr »

Its not even the worst Aus side getting cut if rumours are to be believed.

Western Force, Southern Kings and the Cheetahs wont be in it next year.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

damianmcr wrote:Its not even the worst Aus side getting cut if rumours are to be believed.

Western Force, Southern Kings and the Cheetahs wont be in it next year.
Needs changed. The Saffer sides who made the POs last year did not play a NZ side during regular season etc and then got smashed by them
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

The South Africans are guaranteed two teams in the playoffs as well this season. It seems they may have realised they have bitten off more than they could chew.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

The good thing about the current format is that the kiwi sides play eachother a lot which is creating a lot of explosive derbies. Couple of south African sides also very strong. Aussie sides are nowhere at the minute.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's the same level as the amlin.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Dave wrote:It's the same level as the amlin.
mmm, we'll see after the Lions come down...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

againstthehead wrote:
Dave wrote:It's the same level as the amlin.
mmm, we'll see after the Lions come down...
They are not in the amlin.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

againstthehead wrote:The good thing about the current format is that the kiwi sides play eachother a lot which is creating a lot of explosive derbies. Couple of south African sides also very strong. Aussie sides are nowhere at the minute.
The game between the Chiefs and the Stormers was great, Mckenzie is a class player. All Kiwi sides, bar Hurricanes who seem unstoppable, seem to be able to take points of each other, Stormers and the Lions are going well but the rest of the sides are fairly poor. I had thought the Reds would be decent this year bringing in Moore, Cooper, Douglas among a few other players but they've been arguably worse than the year before
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

McKenzie is a wee cracker but too small for the modern game? I hope not because there should always be a place for pace and skill as opposed to big boshers.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

McKenzie is one Daring player. Totally fearless. Skeletric running full of little details with lots of trick shots.
He has an unrestricted role at 15 in a confident, flowing Chiefs team. It fits his skill set.

Playing at stand off next year will be a different proposition.
He will be relied upon to give the Chiefs team direction and control the game that the team needs, not necessarily what he wants to do.
He played quite a bit at 10 in his rookie year (2015) and He understandably looked raw at times.

Jordie Barrett by comparison, is an ice cool headed kid, less frantic than McKenzie, bigger framed, glides through space like a swan on rocket fuel, very accurate pass kick and generally more structured than Damien.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Caught the last 15 minutes of Reds V Hond 47-34 but in the time I watched Kings scored 3 tries & had two disallowed.

The only scrum in that time, right at the end, our boy gave his opposite number a hard time.

Entertaining.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

lw7 wrote:McKenzie is one Daring player. Totally fearless. Skeletric running full of little details with lots of trick shots.
He has an unrestricted role at 15 in a confident, flowing Chiefs team. It fits his skill set.

Playing at stand off next year will be a different proposition.
He will be relied upon to give the Chiefs team direction and control the game that the team needs, not necessarily what he wants to do.
He played quite a bit at 10 in his rookie year (2015) and He understandably looked raw at times.

Jordie Barrett by comparison, is an ice cool headed kid, less frantic than McKenzie, bigger framed, glides through space like a swan on rocket fuel, very accurate pass kick and generally more structured than Damien.
Yup, I can see Jordie making it. Looks fairly comfortable already - how many fekkin Barretts are there?
Blues - Canes game was decent. Blues are a bit like Ulster - show glimpses of potential but just don't have the backbone to beat decent sides when the chips are down. When I think about it Afoa, Charlie and Jared all came from the Blues....
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

'Plunket' Bill Williams has been quiet during his first two outings for Auckland, re-adjusting to the 15 man code in a new team. The Canes did a good job of flooding the passing channels around him last weekend on the few occasions he carried the ball. His telescopic handling has raised the bar for offloading but if you choke up his options He looks one dimensional.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Super Rugby 2017

Post by kingofthehill »

Hond looks like he can scrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Some cracking tries this weekend - nice one from Kieran Reid for the Crusaders - lost count of the number of off-loads in the build up.