Christian Lealiifano Sinner or Saint?

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Christian Lealiifano Sinner or Saint?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I did see it and as the Law stands, congratulated Lealiifano on his thought process & perspicacity.

That said, there are things I hate in the game which rely on players being a smart-ass, such a the ball clearly not going out of play but because some glype puts a foot out of play it makes the game stupid, corrupts it to an extent that doesn't sit well.

A BR says, debates on TMOs existing is redundant, it should be a matter of just getting the process to as refined and quick as it can me made whilst being consistent with getting the decisions correct. That in itself is not easy, for I also saw this weekend, a clear triple movement supported & awarded by the ref, against what the TMO appeared to think.

So why support this smart-ass, Lealiifano? Because whoever said that the TMO cannot intervene after a conversion was a mug & Lealiifano will have done the game a favour if it leads to the obvious rule change which is the TMO can draw attention to a reason not to award the try prior to the restart at halfway.

Thank you, I knew you would all agree. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I did see it and as the Law stands, congratulated Lealiifano on his thought process & perspicacity.

That said, there are things I hate in the game which rely on players being a smart-ass, such a the ball clearly not going out of play but because some glype puts a foot out of play it makes the game stupid, corrupts it to an extent that doesn't sit well.

A BR says, debates on TMOs existing is redundant, it should be a matter of just getting the process to as refined and quick as it can me made whilst being consistent with getting the decisions correct. That in itself is not easy, for I also saw this weekend, a clear triple movement supported & awarded by the ref, against what the TMO appeared to think.

So why support this smart-ass, Lealiifano? Because whoever said that the TMO cannot intervene after a conversion was a mug & Lealiifano will have done the game a favour if it leads to the obvious rule change which is the TMO can draw attention to a reason not to award the try prior to the restart at halfway.

I think the difficulty faced by World Rugby is the problem of consistency of application of the protocols. bringing in further clarification just muddies the waters as we saw with Paynegate. The more they try to fix it, the more difficult it becomes to get it right.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Simple for me. TMO should not be reviewing anything until time is off.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Simpler for me. Once the referee awards the try the try is awarded
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Fair enough Snipe, but "until the next phase of play" means that what he did was easily seen as gamesmanship & bad for the image. It's just badly thought out ..............not just that but very easily fixed.

Furthermore, for most people the conversion process is an element of the try scoring process, for you simply can't have a conversion without a try, so viewing it as one entire process & "the next phase" being seen as "restart" couldn't be simpler.

I believe a review would have seen the try chalked off so it can almost be implied that he cheated, not good for the game .................unless it leads to my amendment being rushed forward.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Some may recall that I mentioned this option last year during the World Cup,, , some ridiculed me, simple , it's in he laws of the game.
We've all known about it for some time, but this is the highest profile example of its use.
It's within the letter of the law all right, but not the spirit.
Ahhhhh "the spirit of the game" can you show me were that is written in the laws of the game or "rules of competition". >clapping
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Simpler for me. Once the referee awards the try the try is awarded
Even Clancy?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
Russ wrote:Simpler for me. Once the referee awards the try the try is awarded
Even Clancy?
It would hold the referees properly to account for their decisions
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Some may recall that I mentioned this option last year during the World Cup,, , some ridiculed me, simple , it's in he laws of the game.
We've all known about it for some time, but this is the highest profile example of its use.
It's within the letter of the law all right, but not the spirit.
Ahhhhh "the spirit of the game" can you show me were that is written in the laws of the game or "rules of competition". >clapping
Away up the yard with ye Kofi......
Who mentioned the spirit of the game? I'm on about the spirit of the laws, which by definition is not written down......

....as you well know.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He isn't a sinner because he didn't break any laws but I don't think he is a saint either. So no to both.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:He isn't a sinner because he didn't break any laws but I don't think he is a saint either. So no to both.
Thanks for that Dave, you've been a big help......... :lol: :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:He isn't a sinner because he didn't break any laws but I don't think he is a saint either. So no to both.
Thanks for that Dave, you've been a big help......... Image :lol:
My work here is done Image Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I did see it and as the Law stands, congratulated Lealiifano on his thought process & perspicacity.

I think the difficulty faced by World Rugby is the problem of consistency of application of the protocols. bringing in further clarification just muddies the waters as we saw with Paynegate. The more they try to fix it, the more difficult it becomes to get it right.
Are the protocols even universal yet? Of course 99.9% of rugby rugby in the world uses the 'WTF is a TMO' protocol, but even amongst the others, are we still not running a trial on TMO use? I can't keep up.

Also Baggy - your problem with catching the ball with foot-in - is that not being scrapped next season? Or is that another trial?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk