Super Rugby 2015

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Super Rugby 2015

Post by againstthehead »

The kiwi guys are awesome with ball in hand but it will be a very different style of rugby come RWC in the northern hemisphere. How well would the likes of Skudder perform under constant aerial bombardment? That said, it was interesting to see the highlanders take a very tactical kicking game to the Waratahs so there's potential there to mix it up a bit. I doubt the NZ selectors will bring in too many new faces to the RWC squad. Ardie Savea didn't even make the extended squad for the Samoa mess about coming up. It will be more about can they keep the likes of Carter and McCaw fit and in form rather than experimentation at this stage.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

againstthehead wrote:The kiwi guys are awesome with ball in hand but it will be a very different style of rugby come RWC in the northern hemisphere.
I don't buy this any more than Ruckie's variation on the same theme re the Boks. NZ will play their game and let others come to terms with it.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Hurricanes V Highlanders was awesome and I hate that word and normally would never use it. No lineout mauls, one scrum penalty, zero aimless kicking and 80 minutes of running rugby. On this showing there is only one team winning the world cup! There may be the most teams ever in with a chance, seven I believe, but all things being equal and no ridiculous run of injuries the All Blacks are going to walk it.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Setanta wrote:Hurricanes V Highlanders was awesome and I hate that word and normally would never use it. No lineout mauls, one scrum penalty, zero aimless kicking and 80 minutes of running rugby. On this showing there is only one team winning the world cup! There may be the most teams ever in with a chance, seven I believe, but all things being equal and no ridiculous run of injuries the All Blacks are going to walk it.
Interesting take on it and most pundits would agree with you from what I read. However, to be honest I was left somewhat disappointed by the final.... Don't get me wrong, the intent was there - both sides tried to play enterprising and counter attacking rugby and some of the play was sensational. But for me, the accuracy just wasn't what I was expecting. A lot of handling errors. Although to be fair, the crazy off-loading games they play mean that some handling errors are inevitable. Some of the decision making was nuts - what about Aaron smiths blind off load out the back door on his own line - nuts. The Break downs were pretty much uncontested - maybe one or two turnovers at ruck time. None of the wingers could catch a cold never mind a high ball and Barritt can't kick penalties under pressure - probably cost the Canes the game. Plus the game was won by a fairly controversial try.

God that all sounds very depressing.... Entertaining absolutely and so fast-flowing - I enjoyed the game but I've seen these guys play with a lot more accuracy and precision so was left wanting a bit more from the final. That said, delighted for the highlanders. A pack of complete unknowns that took on the big names of the Waratahs last week and then went to the home of the Hurricances in the final. Awesome effort. The big 8 is off to Embra next year.

NZ a shoe in for the world cup? Not with a fly half that can't kick goals and wingers that can't catch high balls - although in fairness they don't get much practice... They'll have the best backline by a country mile but definitely not invincible away from home.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'm watching the recording of the final, just gone half time. I haven't watched a Super Rugby game before. Are they all as fast and furious as this?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Naw lol. it was pretty special in terms of pace. Both sides were playing for a 1st ever title.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote: NZ a shoe in for the world cup? Not with a fly half that can't kick goals and wingers that can't catch high balls - although in fairness they don't get much practice... They'll have the best backline by a country mile but definitely not invincible away from home.

Briefly in out of the sun - that may account for me having agreement of sorts with Agen-le-tete.

Facts include the statistic that NZ have never won the RWC outside NZ, they usually find a way to screw it up. Indeed more often than not it has been France who have been their nemesis & I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it all happen again.

Having seen much of the S15 this year I missed the final but I can reveal that Hurricanes, a team I have always liked, are something of "The Cleront of NZ". They have quite often looked outstanding only to mess it up & that appears to have happened again for throughout the season they have been by far the best team.

It is often the case that teams playing outstanding rugby & generally beloved of most rugby fans have the Achilles hell when it comes to silverware.

As for NZ, they will not play with the reckless abandon that served the Canes so well until crunch time. The RWC is for the pragmatic, not the sublime. I could see England outmuscling them, so could France & either the Aussies or Saffers could beat them on a good day. The All Blacks will be under favourites pressure but they need to get it right in every match, somebody only needs to get it right on the day against them.

They should win it they probably won't. Some key figure knocking on in age and doubts about all their goalkickers, even Mr Carter.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:I'm watching the recording of the final, just gone half time. I haven't watched a Super Rugby game before. Are they all as fast and furious as this?
It's a strange one Solids, Super Rugby has changed over the years. It was once a jolly throw about, exciting play almost required with refs liberally interpreting Laws to add to the exciting product. Remember that the Anzacs have always been talented but impoverished & rugby is way down the list of sports seeking the spectators dollar in OZ.

I believe they have always been image conscious though in the last few years, reffing as become much less liberal and NZ teams in particular have returned to the old virtues of having a grizzled pack to go alongside the fancydans. They got fed up with the Sharks & Blue Bulls beating them up.

So to cut it short, fast & furious is not at all unusual & the Hurricanes in particular have played some scintillating rugby all season.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Not sure nz will be too worried about oz and France. Think nz can out muscle and out play those two. England and the boks I'd say they will be concerned about and rightly so. Ireland still flying under the radar in the southern hemisphere. Must look at the old draw and work out who plays who come knock out. There's a few sides capable of sneaking a big win but not many who can win three or four big ones on the bounce.

What amazed me most about the super rugby is the intensity these guys play every week. High landers played the chiefs waratahs and canes on the bounce in knock out rugby with a small squad. Incredible fitness with no rest weeks.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:Not sure nz will be too worried about oz and France.
No you wouldn't be but no surprise there, I expect that sort of thing from you. Nobody have France a prayer in 2011 either yet but for some monstrous reffing by Joubert, they would have beaten NZ on their own lawn and won the cup. :roll:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Yeah, fair point. NZ were down to their 23rd choice fly-half but your point stands. Come the business end, it's all about defense, minimizing errors and taking points on offer (mostly through the boot).

Oz, I just don't rate at all. No backbone up front. Could see them fall away at the group stage and if they come 2nd, they'll play the Boks in the QF. So have to win that group.

NZ will play france or ireland in the QF which is similar to the conundrum in 2007. So definitely a very interesting match-up there!

The winner of france/irelands group will play the argies so that's a massive carrot to top that group!! But not as big a carrot as the winner of England's group who will play Samoa or Scotland.

So when you look at it, NZ have a very tough route in the final. As do SA. The winners of Ireland's and England's groups have the easier path, albeit England's group is hoffific. Interesting.

Stick a few bob on Ireland. Tough group without being horrific to get the lads warmed up. Physical quarter against the pumas and then into the lap of the gods for the SF.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

England's group is not that bad
I foresee some upset sheep worriers ahead
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Russ wrote:England's group is not that bad
I foresee some upset sheep worriers ahead
England, Wales and Oz ranked 4,5 and 6 , respectively in the world which suggests otherwise. I wouldn't put too much money on any of those sides making it through. England at home should do it but they can be hit and miss. Wales can be pretty decent but struggle against the SH sides. Oz have been poor of late but tend to come decent come RWC. Not much between the 3 of them. Probably England and Oz. Fiji will enjoy a few run outs too.