It's TIME again

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: It's TIME again

Post by pwrmoore »

some people aren't capable of adding or subtracting 1 in their heads :D
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pwrmoore wrote:some people aren't capable of adding or subtracting 1 in their heads :D
Probably never on the receiving end of the Major's flying duster. What can one say :lol: :lol:
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

There is smoething wrong when all the users have to change their settings twice a year. Can't the forum software take care of this like the way all the other devices do nowadays?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pythagoras wrote:There is smoething wrong when all the users have to change their settings twice a year. Can't the forum software take care of this like the way all the other devices do nowadays?
Standard on forums as the person who runs it would have to look up where everyone posted from to see what time zone etc.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
pythagoras wrote:There is smoething wrong when all the users have to change their settings twice a year. Can't the forum software take care of this like the way all the other devices do nowadays?
Standard on forums as the person who runs it would have to look up where everyone posted from to see what time zone or planet, etc.
fixed :thumright:
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Rooster wrote:
Standard on forums as the person who runs it would have to look up where everyone posted from to see what time zone etc.
And 99.99% of posts here would be from 1 timezone.
But it still seems like trivial task to convert from whatever timezone that posts are stored in on the server to the timezone of the browser computer's clock time zone
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cables posts from 1962
Sorry Cables
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Five months later, actually. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pythagoras wrote:
Rooster wrote:
And 99.99% of posts here would be from 1 timezone.
But it still seems like trivial task to convert from whatever timezone that posts are stored in on the server to the timezone of the browser computer's clock time zone
It's also trivial for you to change your time yourself triangle, you would have it done while trying to convince someone here to do it for you
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Rooster wrote: It's also trivial for you to change your time yourself triangle, you would have it done while trying to convince someone here to do it for you
Why do you hate progress?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:Now I ask you, what is the point of changing it if you will have to change it back six months later?
But it's not six months is it? It's 7. We "spring forward" around the vernal equinox but wait until about 5 weeks after the autumnal equinox before going back. Why is that?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Now I ask you, what is the point of changing it if you will have to change it back six months later?
But it's not six months is it? It's 7. We "spring forward" around the vernal equinox but wait until about 5 weeks after the autumnal equinox before going back. Why is that?
Don't know Merv.....it's a worry.....not satisfactory at all......I'll ask a few questions.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pythagoras wrote:
Rooster wrote: It's also trivial for you to change your time yourself triangle, you would have it done while trying to convince someone here to do it for you
Why do you hate progress?
I don't but it will not work for everyone hence the developers of the programme that runs the board do not include it.
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

When you think about the problem properly pythagoras you would realise that the trivial problem is actually not trivial at all. Each post is time-stamped with the server time of the host server and each user gets a view with an adjusted time based on their stated preference as selected in their control panel. The user is required to select their timezone as the host server really cannot satisfactorily deduce where the posts are being viewed.

You should also realise that the folks who run this message board are using an industry standard messageboard package which has been tailored to provide a UAFC look and feel. The same package is used by hundreds if not thousands of furums. As a result they are limited to the features of that package. If the messageboard package included an auto-adjust feature for Summer time then the option would be there for the users. As it doesn't those users who really care about getting a correct local time when they view a post need to make the small change to their selected time preference twice a year. It's really not that difficult to do.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

pwrmoore wrote:When you think about the problem properly pythagoras you would realise that the trivial problem is actually not trivial at all. Each post is time-stamped with the server time of the host server and each user gets a view with an adjusted time based on their stated preference as selected in their control panel. The user is required to select their timezone as the host server really cannot satisfactorily deduce where the posts are being viewed.

You should also realise that the folks who run this message board are using an industry standard messageboard package which has been tailored to provide a UAFC look and feel. The same package is used by hundreds if not thousands of furums. As a result they are limited to the features of that package. If the messageboard package included an auto-adjust feature for Summer time then the option would be there for the users. As it doesn't those users who really care about getting a correct local time when they view a post need to make the small change to their selected time preference twice a year. It's really not that difficult to do.
I dont care if you posted that 35 mins ago, or an hour and a half ago.
I'm still not going to read it.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.