Yellow/red cards

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Yellow/red cards

Post by darkside lightside »

First of all - this website is great, I thoroughly enjoy coming on here, hearing the opinions of others who have played the game to a higher level than I have, played in different positions, are involved in clubs, hear rumours etc etc. I was saying to Mike the other week that actually I find that I'm pretty sure that if you read a post-match thread on here and take a synthesis of the views expressed, you get a much more astute and insightful analysis of the match than you do in the press. So for all that, thanks to fermain and his worker elves, and Rooster for the vids etc :cheers:

And one of the great things about this place is that by and large the obnoxiousness that often floats to the surface sooner or later is largely absent - particularly surprising given that the forum is essentially un-moderated. This relies on self-regulation - which is effective to the extent contributors are self-aware, and possessed of a measure of common courtesy, and common sense.

Unfortunately this can't be taken for granted, and there's a very small number of posters who seem to be incapable of moderating themselves - and it doesn't take many to cast a pall over the entire forum.

I remember on Slugger O'Toole in the old days, how they tried to enforce the 'play the ball not the man' rule - you got a yellow card for an ad hominem attack, and a red card for a repeat offence. Maybe I'm the only one who finds wading through paragraphs and paragraphs of, basically, schoolyard name-calling tedious - and not only tedious in itself, but it also has the effect of crowding out other comment, and deadening and shutting down debate - but I think it would be a good idea to introduce sanctions like this on here, for those who are incapable of moderating themselves...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Yellow/red cards

Post by Snipe Watson »

darkside lightside wrote:First of all - this website is great, I thoroughly enjoy coming on here, hearing the opinions of others who have played the game to a higher level than I have, played in different positions, are involved in clubs, hear rumours etc etc. I was saying to Mike the other week that actually I find that I'm pretty sure that if you read a post-match thread on here and take a synthesis of the views expressed, you get a much more astute and insightful analysis of the match than you do in the press. So for all that, thanks to fermain and his worker elves, and Rooster for the vids etc :cheers:

And one of the great things about this place is that by and large the obnoxiousness that often floats to the surface sooner or later is largely absent - particularly surprising given that the forum is essentially un-moderated. This relies on self-regulation - which is effective to the extent contributors are self-aware, and possessed of a measure of common courtesy, and common sense.

Unfortunately this can't be taken for granted, and there's a very small number of posters who seem to be incapable of moderating themselves - and it doesn't take many to cast a pall over the entire forum.

I remember on Slugger O'Toole in the old days, how they tried to enforce the 'play the ball not the man' rule - you got a yellow card for an ad hominem attack, and a red card for a repeat offence. Maybe I'm the only one who finds wading through paragraphs and paragraphs of, basically, schoolyard name-calling tedious - and not only tedious in itself, but it also has the effect of crowding out other comment, and deadening and shutting down debate - but I think it would be a good idea to introduce sanctions like this on here, for those who are incapable of moderating themselves...
:salut:
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

YoungMan wrote:Good post......smelly pants
thanks... bum face :D
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Agreed.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

How long does a Yellow remain in effect? and suggested sanctions for a Red?

Cards at the discretion of the Mods or can we "cite" other posters?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

If your talking about being banned, well, that already happens.
Keep up please.

Don't you recall the campaign to get Baggs out of the naughty corner before (was it) the Clermont game?

Folks like me just dont go away.

We might go on holiday.
We might be busy in work.
We might even be blocked by our IP address (they do this when you get blocked by username, and set up another account, e.g. WhoiteNight) from coming on here.

Bsides, if there wasn't a plethora of remarkably un-insightful comments made, gents like myself wouldn't have to come in and clean up such a mess...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

darkside lightside wrote:...there's a very small number of posters who seem to be incapable of moderating themselves - and it doesn't take many to cast a pall over the entire forum.

:salut:

Excellent. I particularly like the reference to ad hominem attacks. For me the beauty of this site is that anyone can come on and express an opinion (even if they know little or nothing) but it hardly encourages people to participate when, as happened recently, they are told to “F**K Off” for making a remark that someone else disagrees with. Someone asked a while ago where all the posters had gone. IMO they got fed up with having to wade through all the excrement to find posts they could enjoy or contribute to without being subjected to abuse. I'm all for sanctions for personal attacks and red and yellow cards seem to be the perfect answer. A warning from the mods, followed by yellow (a week's suspension) followed by red (a month). Two red cards and you're out for six months.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Scranner wrote:Someone asked a while ago where all the posters had gone. IMO they got fed up with having to wade through all the excrement to find posts they could enjoy or contribute to without being subjected to abuse. I'm all for sanctions for personal attacks and red and yellow cards seem to be the perfect answer. A warning from the mods, followed by yellow (a week's suspension) followed by red (a month). Two red cards and you're out for six months.
Ho ho, one of the funnier posts I've read in a while.
Spoken like a shy ginger kid who has just been slapped across the chops and been given a wedgie. Tell me, do you feel picked on? Victimised? Made to feel inadequate?

NOTE TO THOSE WHO MISS IT - there are mods on this site. They do ban people. They take each case as it comes - I've been warned, given short-term bans, longer-term bans, even permanent (F*&K OFF welder and never come back (of course, they let me back...)) - rather than issue a stock punishment for all.

They moderate privately - messaging me privately and warning me, or telling me to sling my hook for a while. They also interrupt threads in the guise of the Fonz, or Father Jack, and give more public warnings. Were standard punishments to be dished out for any indiscretion, soon it would be cables posting spreadsheets and commenting on their genius by himself.

You might not agree with me ridiculing your posts. Perhaps if you thought before you posted we wouldn't be in this pickle, would we? It's moronic, brainless goons who ruin this site. Not the fine folks who spend considerable time and effort trying to highlight the error of their ways. For all I know, were I or goonhead not to 'chastise' or 'instruct' some of you clowns, you might step out onto a busy road without looking. You might put a knife in the toaster. Take the electric heater with you when you're having a bath. Shave your ar$e and wipe your face with bog roll.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: You might not agree with me ridiculing your posts. Perhaps if you thought before you posted we wouldn't be in this pickle, would we? It's moronic, brainless goons who ruin this site. Not the fine folks who spend considerable time and effort trying to highlight the error of their ways. For all I know, were I or goonhead not to 'chastise' or 'instruct' some of you clowns, you might step out onto a busy road without looking. You might put a knife in the toaster. Take the electric heater with you when you're having a bath. Shave your ar$e and wipe your face with bog roll.
Welder you really are returning to type.
I really hate to burst your bubble, but you are not in Baggy's league. You have neither the wit nor the vocabulary to set up stall as a wordsmith in the way he does.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Scranner wrote:Someone asked a while ago where all the posters had gone. IMO they got fed up with having to wade through all the excrement to find posts they could enjoy or contribute to without being subjected to abuse.
Scranner, to be fair I know many of the posters who have left, & they have left because of the level of drivel posted, not because of any abuse, perceived or otherwise. I regularly "slag off" DL, but he is well aware, (I hope), that it is all tongue in cheek, we arranged to meet for a pint last year to shake hands on a good year's banter. Rather than try to increase the use of moderators, I would love to introduce some sort of prequalification whereby you need to prove your IQ is at least marginally greater than your shoesize before being allowed to post. Unfortunately there may not be enough people left to have a decent debate, so I dont know what the solution might be. Oops, there I go again, bullying & aggressive, off to the naughty corner for a while :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

darkside lightside wrote:First of all - this website is great, I thoroughly enjoy coming on here, hearing the opinions of others who have played the game to a higher level than I have, played in different positions, are involved in clubs, hear rumours etc etc. I was saying to Mike the other week that actually I find that I'm pretty sure that if you read a post-match thread on here and take a synthesis of the views expressed, you get a much more astute and insightful analysis of the match than you do in the press. So for all that, thanks to fermain and his worker elves, and Rooster for the vids etc :cheers:

And as for you, dry yer eyes ye big girls blouse :lol: :lol: :lol:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Snipe Watson wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: You might not agree with me ridiculing your posts. Perhaps if you thought before you posted we wouldn't be in this pickle, would we? It's moronic, brainless goons who ruin this site. Not the fine folks who spend considerable time and effort trying to highlight the error of their ways. For all I know, were I or goonhead not to 'chastise' or 'instruct' some of you clowns, you might step out onto a busy road without looking. You might put a knife in the toaster. Take the electric heater with you when you're having a bath. Shave your ar$e and wipe your face with bog roll.
Welder you really are returning to type.
I really hate to burst your bubble, but you are not in Baggy's league. You have neither the wit nor the vocabulary to set up stall as a wordsmith in the way he does.
He is indeed in a league of his own.
The fury with which he lambasts a clown drives me green with envy. The passionate berating of those who unwittingly, or unwisely cross him, makes me chuckle with glee.

He has taken on my mantle, and I'm not ashamed to say he insults with a greater witticism than I do.

OR

shut up a-hole - i'm more better than him

OR

he is me and I is him.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I think, DL, if you post something like this, you have to name names. The reason I say that is this. I suspect that if you took a poll of all the posters, asking them which of the other posters annoys/upsets/insults you most, there would be a lot of different answers (and maybe some surprises).
If you asked which posters were found to be good analysts or good entertainers, you might get other answers. It takes all sorts to make a good board and, despite all, this is one of the best rugby boards around. We all get annoyed at times but most of us come back time and again. And as for personal insults, what goes on here is very mild compared with some of the abuse I've seen on other boards. I'll stick with this one, have a moan or a whinge and, as often or not, a good laugh.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:

shut up a-hole - i'm more better than him
You da man. you is, you is........
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Moderators moderate moderately on this board already. Since they have set the forum up of their own volition I believe they have a right to so do at their own discretion . I do not for one see the need for cards and show off refereeing .This thread is all a little silly really .(sorry to have offended anyone :lol: )
We dont need the English to win the European Cup